Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Quiet high hat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quiet high hat?

I just took ownership of a Hart Dynamics Giga Pro drum kit with the Roland TD-10. I love the drums and the mod. However, as good as the hight hat feels(in my limited e-drum experience the best e-hat)it is just too darn loud. Has anyone come up with a solution for this? I thought of muffling it but I'm not sure it would be enough. I was also thinking about getting a Yamaha or other cymbal pad just for use when stealth is nessesary. Anyone have any suggestions for this? What pads would you recomend for quiet opperation? However, I would like to keep the feel as close to real as possible.

[This message has been edited by snared (edited September 24, 2001).]

Has anyone come up with a solution for this? I thought of muffling it but I'm not sure it would be enough.
    I have the Hart high-hat and it is indeed loud. I took someone's advice from this forum (I don't remember who) and cut up a computer mouse pad in a wedge shape and placed it in the strike position of the top cymbal. I fastened with a stiff U-shaped copper wire, attaching it to the high hat post. This way, I can slide the mouse pad over into position when I want to play quietly - which is most of the time. I did the same for the ride cymbal.

My Hart Dynamics GigaPro (vintage 1999)

Comment

I can't believe my site is still up?

Comment

Hey Snared,

Since you got the Giga Pro, didnít the hat come with rubber playing surface on it? Or maybe itís not quiet as you hoped?

Peter Hart gave some info on the hats:

All ECII hats have a metal top and plastic bottom. There is rubber on 1/3 of the top cymbal. We have also recently added a foam insert between the cymbals, which also reduces acoustic volume. So if quiet playing is your goal, play on the rubber. This is comparable in volume to a pd9. If you want exact acoustic feel, you can play on the metal 1/3.This set up is used when recording or playing live gigs with higher stage volumes.

Which hat did you get with the Giga Pro? Where did you get the Giga Pro?

I have the Giga Pro my self (with a different kick base), but not with the rubber playing surfaces on the hat and ride (I bought mine a while back, before Hart added the rubber surface). Is the hat to loud for your use in general, or is it due to the environment you are in (home)?

I never found the hat or ride to be very loud for me (plus I play at fairly loud levels and I love the feel/bounce from the alloy metal on the hat and ride) I am in a fairly large studio so.....

------------------
        szvook

[This message has been edited by szvook (edited September 24, 2001).]
        Studio

Comment

Yeah my hat has the rubber playing surface, factory installed. It did not come with the foam insert, though. It is very loud even when playing on the rubber surface. I too, love the way the hat feels. It is awesome, but I play at home in a townhouse(I share walls on each side but downstirs is mine). So if my 2 year old is asleep or it is too late at night I can't play. It isn't too loud for me, I can't here it through the headphones. Otherwise, I love these drums.

I got them through www.SEPdrums.com

Comment

Yeah the home environment factor can make a difference. Maybe going with a thicker surface (like a mouse pad) would make a difference, but you might have to raise the sensitivity oh the hat a bit to compensate (based on your playing style).

How thick is the rubber surface on the Hart hat? Is it thinner then a mouse pad?

Try contacting Hart and find out if the foam in-between the hat's makes a big difference on the noise level. If Hart people really feel that the foam will help, give it a try. You will probably have to send the hat back to Hart so they can add the foam and I am not sure how that will sit with you since you just got the set.

------------------
            szvook
            Studio

Comment

Has anyone used the Roland PD pads and the Yamaha (triangle) cymbal pads? Can anyone compare them for me? Which has better feel, quieter opperation, etc. I'm leaning towards the Yamaha because they are cheaper, but I want to get as close as possible to the real feel of my Ecymbal II's. I plan on using the rubber pads for home quiet play, and resume using the Hart's at other times.

Comment

Speaking along the same lines. Does anyone have a problem with noise in general with their edrums? I'm not talking about excessive noise like accoustic's. I just got the e's with the hope of playing at night and other times when it needed to be extremely quiet. It isn't too loud for normal daytime playing, but I can't play when my wife or son are sleeping. I'm also worried about the neighbors complaining about the floor shaking. That seems to be the main problem, the floor shaking with the bass drum. Especially when I really start to wail. Does a riser of some sort help absorb some of the shock? Has anyone tried that?

Comment

Not so much wih volume as I used to have problems with vibrations. Whenever I played my upstairs neighbor's glasses would rattle in the cupboards. This changed when I switched to a Drumframe rack, which rises the whole kit off the floor. Since then, no problems whatsoever, she's been asking if I've given up playing. So from my experience, yes, a riser helps.
                  I did take extra precautions though. The Drumframe is attached to the floor on 3 points, you have the base, to which the entire rig attaches and where the throne is fitted, and two smaller feet below the side wings. My whole rig lies on a Drumat, which ison top of a thick, cheap Persian rug with some foam stuck to the bottom, which is on top of carpeting.
                  There were instructions here on how to build your own riser, which were posted sometimes last year, whip out that search function.

Stu
                  "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

You can search this topic and will find some unique approaches to this problem. Some have built platforms with plywood, car tires, more plywood and carpet. Others have put foam in the rack tubes, rubber on the metal cymbals, use sorbothane, etc, etc.

Bottom line is the noise travels. You need to sound proof the room and the floor. It is not easy to isolate. I play in a basement on a concrete floor. The noise (mostly from the PD7's and 9's) travels up the heating/AC ducts into the bedrooms. I no longer play at 3 am.

There are some good materials out there to help. Some absorb vibration and/or noise, some contain it, etc. I think just about all are expensive or are not practical and I don't know anyone who has enough expertise in this area to guaranty something to do the job.

Do a search to see how others handled it. I believe it was Rus who had some huge platform with tires. I think that's a bit extreme for a living room. Perhaps a few others have dealt with this recently and could share what works.
                    Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

What key words do you suggest to use? I tried riser, couldn't find very much so far.

Comment

OK, if no one else will answer your question, here goes: The Roland PD-7 has a good feel for a hi-hat IMO, and is what I generally use. It isn't very quiet, though. I can't compare it directly with your Hart pad, but I find the PD-7 very comfortable with good feel. (It doesns't really have any "give" to it, though.)

I use a Yamaha PCY80S for my ride. I did try it as a hihat too, and liked it. Much quieter than the Roland pad, and it does flex a bit, very similar in degree to a real hihat. And it's cheap!

Both the Roland and Yammie pads are very reliable, triggering faultlessly from both pad & rim. Rims are great on a hihat pad--I use the tambourine hh on a few kits, which give nice HH flexibility with pedal up and down.

Comment

Thanx for the input, drmoze. I am still considering that alternative. Or possibly making a pad myself. Has anyone tried the other Hart ecymbals. The ones that are just plastic triangles with rubber? Are they quiet?

Comment

http://www.vdrums.com/discussion/For...ML/000516.html
                            http://www.vdrums.com/discussion/For...ML/000077.html
                            http://www.vdrums.com/discussion/For...ML/000431.html
                            http://www.vdrums.com/discussion/For...ML/000052.html
                            http://www.vdrums.com/discussion/For...ML/000589.html
                            Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Maybe someone should design a mesh hat and eliminate the noise factor......

------------------
                              szvook
                              Studio

Comment

Working...
                              X