Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Bass pad double triggering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass pad double triggering

OK, I know there is a way to cut down, or hopefuly eliminate the double trigger of the mesh head bass pads. Some of the info I've read is kinda confusing, though. Do I loosen the head to decrease bounce? Do I adjust some setting in the module? Or, should I do both? Or, should I do something completely different?

I have the Hart Giga Pro and Roland TD-10.

There is a "retrigger cancel" setting to reduce this effect. I'd have to wait until I get home to look in my manual or module to tell you exactly where to find it, but its in the trigger settings area somewhere. It's explained in the little manual that comes with the KD-120 if that's what you have. Loosening the mesh head might help, but you have to be careful or you can damage the trigger if the head is too loose. I had to adjust the way I hit the kick drum and not mash down on the pedal like I used to with my accoustics. It takes some getting used to and can be difficult if you use both a's and v's.

Comment

MaskTime

Comment

Do I raise the mask time, or lower it? I found it easily, but not sure what to do with it. I can't tell what its doing as I turn it up and down. Is that the only adjustment for this, or is/are there something else I can do?

Comment

snared,

I have a Pintech mesh head kick trigger - which works quite well, BTW.

Lowering the tension on the head was what made all the difference for me.

It made the head feel like a real acoustic head, and it resolved the need for mask time, etc adjustments.

I don't know how this translates for the trigger you have, but I (and others here) found that decreasing the tension on all lugs until they just started to tension, and then giving all of them a quarter or half turn did the trick.

Good luck !
          Immensely powerful yet with a liquid cat-quick elegance

Comment

Snared,

First make sure your head tension is set to your liking. Secondly, if the head is set loosely (lets say you like to have the head tension lose) set the mask time to 16. 12 is a good enough value for mask time (that seems to be default value that Roland used before and it seems to be noticed in the V-drums, plus Hart recommends setting the mask time to 16 if tension is loser, from experience). Hart mentioned that a “spike” or a “double trigger” would be noticed with lower head tensions. I found this to be true especially if you are playing fast and/or putting your force behind the kicks. With a tighter head tension the mask time values work just the same. I keep my tension fairly tight.

Try playing with mask time at 12 and 16 to get a feel.

Also try to raise the retrigger cancel if needed, as Bagman mentioned.

------------------
            szvook
            Studio

Comment

Does anyone know if tuning the heads loose on the Hart pad damages the trigger mech?

Comment

Originally posted by snared:
                Does anyone know if tuning the heads loose on the Hart pad damages the trigger mech?

If the heads are tuned to low, over a period of time, the trigger could and will get damaged. How low is too low, I don't know. I would recommend contacting Hart or maybe some here with low-tension settings could help.

------------------
                szvook
                Studio

Comment

Well I adjusted the mask time and retrigger stuff. It helped. I'm too afraid to loosen the head, so I will wait on that. I'll probably contact Hart about it first if I do. Maybe I'll never loosen the head, and just get used to playing with a bouncy bass drum. I don't think I'll be playing much on accoustic drums very much anymore, anyway.

Comment

Working...
                  X