This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kromberg View Post
    I have assigned aux1 and aux2 to two different Tom instruments. I have routed them to the db25 channels 3 & 4, same thing as Tom1 to Tom 4. I have channels 3 & 4 plugged into the Tascam inputs 11 and 12. The Tascam is connect to Ardour. In the mixer/mic section all of them have a mic level of 56. Listening to things in Ardour, Tom1 to Tom4 have the exactly same volume level. That is expected. Tom5 and Tom5 ( aux1 and aux2 ) have about a 1/3 of the volume and input gain. Changing the aux1 & aux2 mic level from 0 or to 100 does nothing.
    Have you gone into the mixer,Mic page,then adjusted the overall instrument volume slider? I have imported my own samples and have no problem volume matching them. It would be a good tip to send the toms to something other than 3/4 if the overheads are routed there,or change the overheads.

Comment

• Got my Mimic demo unit delivered! Very excited. I have it here at work and I applied the sys updates 1.0.3 and then 1.0.4. I also loaded in the library update from July. No pads here so I can't test but tonight I'll be a busy bee

Another question I remain slightly confused on reading past posts and other parts of the internet - I ordered the genuine Pearl r.e.d.Box mounting plate (delivered home so I don't have it here as a type) but there was mention of screws not being the right type/length or something. Do I have to worry about the screws that come with the mounting plate or will I be fine?

This demo unit appears in great shape and really no blemishes or anything - EXCEPT it just missing a rubber washer and a hexagonal locking nut for the Ride 2 input.. weird I'm sure but I guess a trip to Home Depot can fix that.. if anyone knows what size these hex nuts are that is appreciated! Otherwise I'll figure it out...

Lastly, right off the bat I'd chime in one recommendation for future sys update that on the home screen if there can be additional volume box for the Main Mix (Output 1/2) volume or some way to maybe toggle the HEADPHONE slider between Headphones and Main Output.. that'd be awesome!
      Last edited by Trip McNealy; 09-11-17, 02:22 PM.

Comment

• That was already discussed. The master volume was intentionally placed in the mixer only because you can easily blow you PA with occasional master fader move during performance

I understand that in some particular cases it would be handy to have it on the main screen, but master out is designed to be used for small live shows, and it is better to be on a safe side during live performance with powerful PA connected directly to the mimic
        Last edited by Mr.Boo; 09-11-17, 02:29 PM.

Comment

• Understood. And thank you for being so responsive to our questions.

I will take some time and go back to page 1 here and re-read all the posts and make my own notes so I don't duplicate dumb questions LOL!

Comment

• The screws that came with my Redbox worked just fine with the mimic
            . . . . . . . . . .
            V stage with TD20 and TDW-20, pd-80s, pd-7s, pd-125, vh-12, cy-12rc, dB 405 L and Yorkville LS 700p
            Core2duo in a Cube with 2 gig of RAM and 2 HDDs, Sonar Producer 6, DFHS Custom and Vintage, and RME Multiface II

"Make me an instrument of your peace..."

Comment

• Good evening to all. Been out of touch for about two weeks, I guess. My Mimic had to get replaced because of shipping issues the first time around. I'm happy to say that the new one arrived in good health.

Also, I saved all of the settings (trigger, etc) as well as my custom kits before I sent the first one back and they loaded into the replacement perfectly.

I have no idea why, but the replacement somehow sounds better. I'm sure it is just that I haven't played for two weeks, but it somehow seems to have a slightly different nuance to it than the first one. No way to know if there is any actual difference, but I can't think of any logical reason for there to be any.

Anyway, now that THAT pain is over with, I have my Mimic back and I can get back to recording and experimenting with things. I hope to get a new video up again soon!
              My Updated Website: https://blades.technology

Comment

• Originally posted by Blades View Post
                Also, I saved all of the settings (trigger, etc) as well as my custom kits and they loaded into the replacement perfectly. Anyway, now that THAT pain is over with, I have my Mimic back and I can get back to recording and experimenting with things. I hope to get a new video up again soon!
                I think this feature he added was really important with this type of module, some recording with music would be nice when you got a chance.
                Last edited by Chris K; 09-12-17, 12:02 AM.
                [www.mimicpro.com ][ www.dwdrums.com ] [www.zildjian.com]

Comment

• Here are the attached settings:
                  TD-20 Expanded VExpressions Studio Kits
                  PD-100 tom, PD-120 Tom, PD-120 Tom
                  PD-120 FT, PD-120 FT
                  KD-7 Bass, KD-7 Bass
                  PD-120 Snare, PD-100 Secondary Snare
                  Custom Gibraltar Rack

Comment

Here are the attached settings:

That is not enough - post a photo of the whole routing screen (especially Oh/Room mics)
                    And photo of your mimic->sound card connection
                    There were a lot of reports when user routed something to channel 3 on DB25 but listened on channel 1/4 jack line output labelled "3" on the back of the mimic.

PS have you tried the proposed experiment with kick and routing to a mono output?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr.Boo View Post

That is not enough - post a photo of the whole routing screen (especially Oh/Room mics)
                      And photo of your mimic->sound card connection
                      There were a lot of reports when user routed something to channel 3 on DB25 but listened on channel 1/4 jack line output labelled "3" on the back of the mimic.

PS have you tried the proposed experiment with kick and routing to a mono output?
                      Attached.

As you can see I have nothing plugged into outputs 1-6 and only using the DB25 connector.

Mono 1 and mono 2 work perfectly fine for the bass drum and snare respectively. Tom1 to Tom4 on channels 3 & 4 work as expect. Tom5/aux1 on channels 3&4 does not. it is only a 1/3 of the volume and output level. The mic settings are exactly the same as Tom1 to Tom4 so I am expecting Tom5/aux1 to work the same. It is not.
                      PD-120 FT, PD-120 FT
                      KD-7 Bass, KD-7 Bass
                      Custom Gibraltar Rack

Comment

• Originally posted by Renegator View Post
                        The screws that came with my Redbox worked just fine with the mimic
                        Yep, I mounted mine just fine with the included screws too - whew!!

Comment

• After firing up the Mimic at home last night, and going through the trigger setup and auditioning the various kits I am blown away by the clarity and realism of the kits, especially the snares. It really does feel like I'm sitting behind a real kit finally. The module itself is responsive and fast - since I have a demo unit I didn't get a chance to try all the inputs to make sure they work and the outputs but I only have like 2 Aux ones left to make sure, as my home kit took up all the rest of the inputs.

Some initial observations, and please let me know if anything I mention seems out of the ordinary. Again, receiving a demo unit you sometimes don't know what to expect. I did do a full factory reset and then applied all updates to 1.0.4.
                          1. I am really spoiled by the 18" digital ride from my TD-50. Going back to a CY-15R seems so tiny LOL. I hope to get some ATV 18" and 16" cymbals soon when I save up some cash.

2. My home kit is comprised of a Drone triggers 14" snare (PD-128 style), UFO 20" kick crossbar, and Triggera Intriggs for the toms - after dialing in the triggers I got pretty good response out of everything. Is there a way to get the crosstick sound easily on the snare like the Roland? (there was a simple XStick button for Roland to toggle on/off per kit). I can't seem to get any crosstick on the Mimic unless I'm missing something obvious. All I get is rimshots and rim ticks as usual. The kick drum responds pretty decently but I feel could be better - the Trutrac Bass and KD-120 settings are similar results. It's like it misses a few hits here and there..

I did do Crosstalk Suppression wizard on all pads - very cool feature and works nice!

3. I found for ALL my triggers, both drums and cymbals, I had to max the Input Gain for each to 17. Even with that maxed, except for the snare, when I hit hardest they only peak to maybe 95% of the grey indicator bar. Is that normal? Unless I'm going about it the wrong way, I took the Input Gain as equivalent to Sensitivity on the Roland modules, where for my playing style, I would increase Sensitivity so that my hardest hits went to just nipping 126-127 velocity on the scale. To expand on that, for most of the kit the Top Velocity I set to 800 for kick and then all the rest was like 1000. I found that playing with Scan time, Re-trigger Cancel didn't do much with my triggers. I kept them as low as possible or at the default on the Mimic. Same with the Curve, I straightened them out to a Linear-like line for all pads for now. I pretty much had Linear on my Rolands except LOG1 on snare.

4. With these settings I find the CY15R Ride to be very sensitive on the Edge.. I don't have good dynamic response from pianissimo to forte and wacking it normally on the edge seems like it high velocity no matter what.. Again, any recommendation here is appreciated. Maybe play with the Curve some more?

5. Many are impressed with the hi-hat response on the Mimic - I seem to be having trouble - I have a VH-12 and I found the spread range between the 3 lines (red/yellow/blue) to be abnormally narrow.. IIRC my top line (open) was at 950, the open-to-close at 755 and the closed (when foot resting on the pedal to close position) was 735. The grey bar on the left when moving the hats up and down doesn't travel very far. It stays well above 700 for all positions. This results in a very limited open to close response and also I can't get a consistent foot chick or foot splash despite playing with those settings for them. I did not make ANY physical adjustment to the hats on the hi hat stand and left them as is when I used with TD-50, which was pretty darn responsive out of the gate. I do have a Go eDrum VH-11 controller which I might try next to see if it's better.

6. Dumb question, and I didn't try it yet - is there only 65 slots available to save drum kits or do you save above and beyond that to USB stick? I'm so used to Roland where it was like 1-50 was preset kits and 51-100 was User Kits you could use. I see the 65 in the Mimic plus the (U) Masters at the end.

7. It would be cool to see in a future update some preset Curve types like Roland has (Linear, Log1, Log2, Exp1, etc). Drawing with your finger is really awesome and helpful but my OCD-like tendencies feel that my LOG lines aren't too nice, for example lol. I would also like to see some expanded trigger types to the Crash area like PCY-135/155 as I use those cymbals as crashes too. I get by using CY-14C though.

Next up I will pair up the Mimic to my Live gigging kit which is all Roland pads mounted on a MDS-9 rack and see how that goes. I was so entrapped by the realism and enjoyment of the various kits last night I didn't play with anything else on the module yet haha! I went in at around 9pm last night and next thing I check the clock and it's 1am in the morning!

Thanks all for help especially Mr Boo!!

Comment

• Hnmmm.... there seems to be a limit of the number of things that can be routed to a channel or pair of channels. That appears to be 4. I moved Tom5/aux1 to channels 7 & 8, and is now working as expected. I moved another 3 things( bass, snare, tom1 ) to channels 7&8 and things work as expected. I move over Tom2 to channels 7 & 8, and there is basically no volume/input with it.
                            PD-120 FT, PD-120 FT
                            KD-7 Bass, KD-7 Bass
                            Custom Gibraltar Rack

Comment

Hnmmm.... there seems to be a limit of the number of things that can be routed to a channel or pair of channels. That appears to be 4. I moved Tom5/aux1 to channels 7 & 8, and is now working as expected. I moved another 3 things( bass, snare, tom1 ) to channels 7&8 and things work as expected. I move over Tom2 to channels 7 & 8, and there is basically no volume/input with it.
                              Please drop me a line into PM

Comment

• Originally posted by Trip McNealy View Post
                                A
                                3. I found for ALL my triggers, both drums and cymbals, I had to max the Input Gain for each to 17. Even with that maxed, except for the snare, when I hit hardest they only peak to maybe 95% of the grey indicator bar. Is that normal? Unless I'm going about it the wrong way, I took the Input Gain as equivalent to Sensitivity on the Roland modules, where for my playing style, I would increase Sensitivity so that my hardest hits went to just nipping 126-127 velocity on the scale. To expand on that, for most of the kit the Top Velocity I set to 800 for kick and then all the rest was like 1000. I found that playing with Scan time, Re-trigger Cancel didn't do much with my triggers. I kept them as low as possible or at the default on the Mimic. Same with the Curve, I straightened them out to a Linear-like line for all pads for now. I pretty much had Linear on my Rolands except LOG1 on snare.
                                You should not max out the gain, that is wrong way.
                                Set your gain as low as possible to get the ghost notes playing ok.
                                After that use "Top Velocity" fader to set your desired dynamic response.
                                That's all.
                                More details in the manual.

PS there will be an update to VH12 trigger preset in new software version, it is currently in the testing stage
                                Last edited by Mr.Boo; 09-12-17, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X