This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chris K View Post

I agree, and guys I can tell you, mimic is VERY versatile on sound editing and triggering, I am working on bunch of new preset, that no one would thought it was ever possible with mimic, it is very powerful device and much more less harsh to works and faster then a computer, this confirm what I thought from the beginning.
    Any chance you can share some of those presets on the Mimic User Kits site ?

https://www.mimicpro.com/uk.html

Comment

• Would the Mimic module be able to power high impedance headphones like the Beyerdynamic DT100's (400ohm)? I'm currently using some Sennheiser HD380's (54 ohms) and there's a fair bit (noticable amount) of background hiss. I've tried to find the output specs for the module but haven't had much luck.

I realise I could use an attenuator but I've had the HD380's for years and never really been happy with them - so I think an upgrade is due

Thanks
      Last edited by sensei_russ; 11-16-17, 08:31 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris K View Post

I agree, and guys I can tell you, mimic is VERY versatile on sound editing and triggering, I am working on bunch of new preset, that no one would thought it was ever possible with mimic, it is very powerful device and much more less harsh to works and faster then a computer, this confirm what I thought from the beginning.
        Hey Chris ó when did you get your mimic? Any videos or sound clips to share? Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by sensei_russ View Post
          Would the Mimic module be able to power high impedance headphones like the Beyerdynamic DT100's (400ohm)? I'm currently using some Sennheiser HD380's (54 ohms) and there's a fair bit (noticable amount) of background hiss. I've tried to find the output specs for the module but haven't had much luck.

I realise I could use an attenuator but I've had the HD380's for years and never really been happy with them - so I think an upgrade is due

Thanks
          I am experiencing the same thing with my HD380's. Did not experience hiss with TD-50 or aD5 modules. What headphones are other users using with their Mimic?
          Last edited by Chance27; 11-16-17, 10:13 AM.
          ATV aDrums, aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro, Superior Drummer 3.0, Roland SPD-SX, DW Hardware

Comment

• the main headphones i use now are sony 7510 love them i also have the ath50x but like the sony 7510 a little better.
            both work great with the mimic. i also have the sony 7506 which also sounds good with the MP
            Last edited by jammin777; 11-16-17, 10:39 AM.
            Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

• I heard some Yamaha MT7 headphones at Guitar center that sounded very good for $170. I use Audeze LCD XC.

Comment

• This is my first attempt to build a kit and change some of the settings to see which settings do what. I've never done such things before. I've just spend a few minutes on it, so see this as a starting point maybe. I'm using the beta software, please keep that in mind if you want to try it. So maybe not all of the settings I made may function in your version or maybe it won't work at all.

[U] RocKit.zip
                Attached Files
                Last edited by scheinriese; 01-12-18, 07:22 AM.

Comment

• Regarding rimshots on the snare, I'm spoiled by roland because with their modules one only need to hit the rubber rim to get a rimshot sound but with the mimic I can't do that and only get rim clicks even if I hit it hard, also I can't hear much difference in the snare head shot and rimshot when I get it right. I would like to have a "rimshot play on select" option to hear the difference, right now only the head sound is triggered when selecting an instrument.

Comment

• Originally posted by walkinded View Post
                    Regarding rimshots on the snare, I'm spoiled by roland because with their modules one only need to hit the rubber rim to get a rimshot sound but with the mimic I can't do that and only get rim clicks even if I hit it hard, also I can't hear much difference in the snare head shot and rimshot when I get it right. I would like to have a "rimshot play on select" option to hear the difference, right now only the head sound is triggered when selecting an instrument.
                    set rimshot threshold for center-piezo to zero
                    set rimshot threshold for rim-piezo to your liking - that way you will get rimshots from high velocity rim hits. Just switch to rim-piezo trigger tab and move the rimshot threshold around.
                    PS it is useful to assign "rim shot side" articulation to a rimshot (it's in "kit instr assign" tab) - a lot of people like it that way
                    Last edited by Mr.Boo; 11-16-17, 04:22 PM.

Comment

• The Rim clicks or Rimshots, X-stick on the Mimic are a lot more adjustable with the Mimic, better than Roland IMO. I choose Rim Shot Side instead of Rim Clicks for the Snare. Simply go into the Trigger screen look at the snare Instrument Assignments. Personally I choose, Head, Rim Shot Side, and Rimshot on all my snares. I have the Stealth X-RimRiser dedicated to Cross-stick. I absolutely love the snare performance, best I have ever had on an edrum module ..... The new Roland Digital Snare is also great with the TD-50, but I actually don't miss it now that my snare is setup the way I have it on the Mimic.
                      Last edited by JmanWord; 11-16-17, 04:31 PM.
                      I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
                      Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by walkinded View Post
                        Regarding rimshots on the snare, I'm spoiled by roland because with their modules one only need to hit the rubber rim to get a rimshot sound but with the mimic I can't do that and only get rim clicks even if I hit it hard, also I can't hear much difference in the snare head shot and rimshot when I get it right. I would like to have a "rimshot play on select" option to hear the difference, right now only the head sound is triggered when selecting an instrument.
                        You can also assign rimshot sound to rim only in trigger settings. I assign side rimshot to rim only. I do find it a lot easier to play real rimshots with a 14 inch pad than a Roland 12 inch.

Comment

• Thanks, I'll try your suggestions, I'm using my mimic with a full td-30k btw.

Comment

• Hi All,

I have been using the Mimic Pro for almost 6 weeks now. This is the closest I have ever come to having real studio quality acoustic drum sounds in a module, that straight out of the box will sit well in a mix without tweaking. No machine gunning - great playability. As folks have stated before, it does take some time to set it up properly with the triggers you are using and there is a learning curve, but it has been a pleasure learning it. Out of the box, it seems that most presets, at least the oneís I have examined, are not preset with compression, eq or reverb and without that processing they still sound excellent! Slate and Pearl have provided sounds that are amazing to start with. They did not take just ok samples and rely on extra compression, eq and reverb to try and make them sound passable, they sound good without. That said, if you want to add the Comp, Eq, Reverb processing it is all there. To note: the compressor on the mimic is stellar, it is very musical sounding like the high end compressors used by pro studios and live engineers. There are compression presets that can add that extra pro-sounding pop to a snare, or edge to a tom, punch to a kick, etc. if that is the sound you are going for. The tom sets are good all around general application toms and with the sound tweaking features you could sculpt the toms to have less decay/ring, use eq to cut or boost, adjust pitch, compression etc to achieve a particular sound. That said it would be nice to have some more varying tom sets (I need to install the new Reference Toms)

One aspect of drum recording that I have learned to appreciate after working with the Mimic is the importance of recording drums in a great acoustic space and the use of Room Mics and Overhead Mics. When you first receive the Mimic the master room mic level is set on a rather conservative setting, I personally like to have the room sound master level turned up to 75% or higher. Itís the high quality room sound (whether at a low ,med, or high setting) that helps fuse the kit together, give it polish, depth/space without needing artificial reverb. You could also adjust room mic level on each kit piece individually. That said, I do like to add an additional hint of longer reverb just to give the sounds a little more trail after the room mics finish decaying.

I used the Mimic for the first time recently performing modern and traditional country and the feedback from the band and venue was great. I used only the master stereo out mix to the board. I particularly like the way the crashes sit in the mix with warmth, not harsh sounding. I did make some adjustments to bring out more ďpointĒ on the hats and ride by increasing the direct mic levels and adding a little high freq eq to the direct mics. I also used Mimic compression on the kick, snare, toms, hats. I also shorted the decay on the toms to avoid too much lingering ring. Kick and Snare sounded great also. I added a slight high end EQ boost to snare.

Also worth mentioning is that the adjustment of the trigger parameters to your playing style and preferred dynamic/velocity layer range of each trigger / instrument also impacts the sound and you have great options with the settings.

I am extremely pleased with the Mimic Pro, but here are some wishlist features I would prefer to see added to the Mimic in the future. Some of these may have already been mentioned in prior posts:

1) Sum to Mono on Master Outs / Headphone Out - Quite often I am in gigging situations where I can be challenged for inputs on mixer and I would like to give a one channel mono mix of everything out of one of the Main outputs (all direct mics, OH, and room, verb, player, etc.). I tried to see if I could pan everything to hard left, but could not find options to pan everything. I would like to be able to simply have an option to change the master outputs to stereo mix or mono mix. Even a master pan option. Could be added on the mixer screens. It would also be convenient to have the same stereo or mono mix setting on the headphone out as sometimes I need to route that output to a mono monitor amp.
                            2) Midi Recorder / Player- why? I want to record my playing as midi into the Mimic and then while the drum midi tracks are playing back simultaneously scroll through kits, edit ALL kit parameters including master / headphone mix settings, etc, to sculpt the sound during midi playback. It is more difficult to sculpt sound when playing at the same time. The audio recorder is still great to have regardless.
                            3) Link EQ option to link EQ across the Instrument, OH and Room tabs. Say I wanted to adjust EQ for all three the same way without have to go to each tab and do it 3x. I could still unlink and edit independently if preferred.
                            4) Link ENV option to link ENV across the Instrument, OH and Room tabs. Say I wanted to adjust same ENV for all three the same way. - I could still unlink and edit independently if preferred.
                            5) More Samples - Sub Kick, Tamb, Claps, Snaps, Congas, Bongos, Shakers, Timbale.
                            6) Ability to Layer sounds on other instruments besides kick / snare >i.e. hats, toms, ride, aux.
                            7) Save multiple audio song playlists + mp3 compatibility
                            8) Master EQ and Compress on Master Outputs
                            9) Audio player - scrub playback feature
                            10) Ability for internal audio recorder to record the exact mix balance of aux input and drums as you hear it out of the headphones
                            11) Ability for internal audio recorder to record the exact mix balance of audio player and drums as you hear it out of the master output
                            12) Have the mixer tabs light up / Flash when you are hit a particular trigger
                            13) When hitting location pad have the zone tabs under kit assign flicker / flash under kit intr assign.

QuestIons:
                            When updating my Mimic with the Pearl Reference Toms, do I really need to use a brand new USB stick?
                            Canít I just add the new Mimic_Factory.lib folder to the root of the USB stick that I currently use to store Mimic data ?
                            I already installed the cowbell update previously, I see them in the latest update Mimic-Factory.lib > instruments folder, should I just remove those cowbell files and keep the Pearl REF files before updating since I already loaded them previously?
                            Is there any risk to losing my user kits during the update?

Thx!

-jrmixman

Comment

• Originally posted by jrmixman View Post
                              Hi All,

QuestIons:
                              When updating my Mimic with the Pearl Reference Toms, do I really need to use a brand new USB stick?
                              Canít I just add the new Mimic_Factory.lib folder to the root of the USB stick that I currently use to store Mimic data ?
                              I already installed the cowbell update previously, I see them in the latest update Mimic-Factory.lib > instruments folder, should I just remove those cowbell files and keep the Pearl REF files before updating since I already loaded them previously?
                              Is there any risk to losing my user kits during the update?

Thx!

-jrmixman
                              Thanks for a kind words!
                              Fro a library updates - just put the Mimic_Factory.lib to the root of your flash drive and use "import" in the mimic.
                              No need to remove anything.

PS user kits are stored in their own place.

Comment

• Hi Pete,

Regarding my Yamaha RHH 155 ride pad, I am using one input only. The second input is disabled. All three zones are triggering perfectly but I keep getting the crash sample on the bell, probably about 1 in 6 hits. I am sure this has been mentioned before. Mr. Boo, you helped me with my last question, could you tell me if this is being sorted?

Many thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X