Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Mimic did not boot up the first day it arrived here. Power supply LED was off. So I thought that the power supply maybe is defect. I just wanted to try the power supply of my Asus Netbook which has the exact same specifications (+- wiring and 3 Ampere). But before that I tried the power cable that leads to the supply and BOOM the LED was on. So it was only the power cable (with the adapter) that did not work, not the power supply itself. I'm using a regular power cable now with no adapters. I've had no issues since then, no matter if the USB stick is in or out.
    Last edited by scheinriese; 11-13-17, 06:32 PM.

Comment

• I have been having issues with MP randomly freezing up at the Pearl startup screen. Mr. Boo sent me the latest firmware and I just got it installed yesterday. Only time will tell if this will fix it.
      ATV aDrums, aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro, Superior Drummer 3.0, Roland SPD-SX, DW Hardware

Comment

• Originally posted by Chance27 View Post
        I have been having issues with MP randomly freezing up at the Pearl startup screen. Mr. Boo sent me the latest firmware and I just got it installed yesterday. Only time will tell if this will fix it.
        Keep us posted if the latest firmware fixes the random freezing as I definitely have experienced the same thing several times

Comment

• Hi Everyone, my Mimic arrived from the U.S. today (yay!), it's currently still in the box but I'm hoping to get some time to start using it in a day or two.

I need to buy a foot pedal to go with a Roland CY5 hi-hat pad I already have. Ideally I'd get a used Roland FD7 but I'm having trouble finding one (in good condition) in the UK at the moment. I wondered if a Yamaha HH65 might work with the Mimic and the CY5 - can anyone tell me please?

Also can anyone tell me if a Roland TMC6 would work with the Mimic for adding more inputs via midi?

Thanks for any help!
          Last edited by sensei_russ; 11-13-17, 06:55 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by towndog View Post

Keep us posted if the latest firmware fixes the random freezing as I definitely have experienced the same thing several times
            I will.
            ATV aDrums, aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro, Superior Drummer 3.0, Roland SPD-SX, DW Hardware

Comment

• Originally posted by sensei_russ View Post
              Hi Everyone, my Mimic arrived from the U.S. today (yay!), it's currently still in the box but I'm hoping to get some time to start using it in a day or two.

I need to buy a foot pedal to go with a Roland CY5 hi-hat pad I already have. Ideally I'd get a used Roland FD7 but I'm having trouble finding one (in good condition) in the UK at the moment. I wondered if a Yamaha HH65 might work with the Mimic and the CY5 - can anyone tell me please?

Also can anyone tell me if a Roland TMC6 would work with the Mimic for adding more inputs via midi?

Thanks for any help!
              any midi module controller that use midi channel\midi note, should works with mimic, not sure about the yamaha HH65
              Last edited by Chris K; 11-13-17, 07:09 PM.
              [www.mimicpro.com ][ www.dwdrums.com ] [www.zildjian.com]

Comment

• Just to add some input... I have had my mimic NOT boot. In every case but one, it has started properly with a turn off and back on. In every case it has hung at the pearl splash screen. One time I had to repeat the procedure twice. Surely it made me nervous and I am just playing in my basement, so the worst thing that could happen is I would have to watch TV or work instead. I am sure I would not enjoy this if it were at a gig.

I have seen Mr. Boo post that this is nothing to be worried about, but it would be good to understand what's happened on, since it's clearly not an isolated incident.
                My Updated Website: https://blades.technology

Comment

• Knock on wood - I have had no "physical" problems with my Mimic (I do have a few other issues I'll talk about later). I believe my Serial Number is 266 (42968-266) if that makes any difference.

Comment

• Originally posted by towndog View Post

Well it didn't take long, I just went to go use my Mimic and it has frozen up at the Pearl screen. It has been at least ten minutes and it still has not booted. So much for the new firmware fixing the issue. I am going to return the unit and sit on the sidelines and see how the Mimic develops. I will say the new firmware seems to be going in the right direction with the trigger setup and I did notice the ride crashing drop outs were fixed. The new VH-13 v2 preset seems better but I am still getting a sloppy sound when doing 16th note open and closed patterns. I'm getting tired of feeling like I have to tweak the Mimic every time I sit down and use it.

I am really enjoying my aD5 / aDrums kit. I just sit down and play and everything works beautifully together. Unfortunately, I just don't see the value in the Mimic module at this point.
                    Last edited by Chance27; 11-13-17, 09:34 PM.

Comment

• You guys are starting to scare me. Mine arrived today, and I got it unboxed this evening. Will be testing it tomorrow before going back to the 50 to complete an upcoming expansion. Pearl better get this issue worked out.
                      Alan

Comment

• Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post
                        You guys are starting to scare me. Mine arrived today, and I got it unboxed this evening. Will be testing it tomorrow before going back to the 50 to complete an upcoming expansion. Pearl better get this issue worked out.
                        It is definitely going through some growing pains.

Comment

• Well, while I am not a fan of the mimic rarely having a boot issue, it has yet to actually not start (unlike my pc this weekend after doing a firmware upgrade) . As for the upgrades to the software.... They are definitely getting closer to sure with the most recent that I have being very close to "there". I am sure that we all have differt expectations of HiHat performance, etc, but the version I have currently is the best thus far and while it is less Precise than the td20, it is likely more realistic with all but the most specific figures being pretty satisfying.

Don't lose hope folks. Don't forget that for most td modules from Roland, we are likely to get a few updates in their lifetimes with little to no knowledge of what those updates contain and typically NO actual input, whereas with the mimic we have had a few updates in just a few months with I out directly from users too the development team.

Just a few thoughts...
                          My Updated Website: https://blades.technology

Comment

• I have seen Peter video atv hi-hat and seem to works flawlessly, clutch\hi-hat stand can also made difference.

Originally posted by Peter Warren View Post
                            I think the Mimic with the ATV hi hat pad is quite amazing. I tried to show the response in this video:
                            Some folks comparing module\ kits combos which have their own preset made with a module released beyond years ago, Mimic have Roland some Yamaha preset for now, not others yet and some need special algo. From scheinriese reports, the VH12 wont perform as VH11 and VH13, even ad5 with the vh12 is not working correctly, this is probably why Roland removed VH12 after 2 years on the market discontinued and replaced with VH13, there is a reason for shorts lifetime.
                            Last edited by Chris K; 11-14-17, 12:27 AM.
                            [www.mimicpro.com ][ www.dwdrums.com ] [www.zildjian.com]

Comment

• Originally posted by Chance27 View Post

Well it didn't take long, I just went to go use my Mimic and it has frozen up at the Pearl screen. It has been at least ten minutes and it still has not booted. So much for the new firmware fixing the issue. I am going to return the unit and sit on the sidelines and see how the Mimic develops. I will say the new firmware seems to be going in the right direction with the trigger setup and I did notice the ride crashing drop outs were fixed. The new VH-13 v2 preset seems better but I am still getting a sloppy sound when doing 16th note open and closed patterns. I'm getting tired of feeling like I have to tweak the Mimic every time I sit down and use it.

I am really enjoying my aD5 / aDrums kit. I just sit down and play and everything works beautifully together. Unfortunately, I just don't see the value in the Mimic module at this point.
                              Sorry you ran into that problem. I have never had a boot problem, so hopefully it is something that is not universal. I'm sure they will work out a fix though. They are obviously continuing to work on more and more upgrades. As far as the aD5 though..... great that it ticks the boxes for you. For me it doesn't even make the list of a module I would consider owning. Lack of inputs, no rim sounds for toms, lack of outputs, unable to split the inputs that it does have and assign anything to any input. No mixer and studio features like the Mimic. Just turning up the Room and effects in the Mimic and turning the Throne Thumper on ..... is probably the most immersive drum experience I have had outside of a few times on acoustics.
                              Like I say though I have not had the module boot freeze so I'm sure that is concerning. As far as continual tweaking, Once I really dialed in all the drums and cymbals I basically have the best triggering I have ever experienced in a drum module, although the new Roland Digital Snare and Digital Ride are pretty cool. I've been testing a beta update VS I got on 10-25 ..... and it has been excellent for me with the Hi Hat. I tweaked for a while at first to get where I wanted to be, but that is like the rest of the drums and cymbals now for me ....... no tweaking necessary.

All that just to say my experience thus far has been excellent with the Mimic. Haven't experienced any buyer's remorse for sure. I am still extremely impressed by the way Sergey and the developers are working continually behind the scenes to add more and bettering what they put out ..... Just my opinion. Also, be aware when you read old threads on the aD5 ..... it went through quite a bit to get to the point they have it now, over the span of time since it released.

Now, back to the Mimic....... remember there is already a thread for module comparisons of the various new modules ......
                              Last edited by JmanWord; 11-13-17, 11:11 PM.
                              I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
                              Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by JmanWord View Post
                                As far as the aD5 though.....Lack of inputs, no rim sounds for toms, lack of outputs, unable to split the inputs that it does have and assign anything to any input.
                                In fairness to the aD5, just for accuracy (recognizing this is a Mimic thread) it does have two Aux inputs. Maybe there was an upgrade that changed this since most people realize, but those two Aux Inputs ARE splittable. I just did it tonight. So you can assign a dual zone tom to an aux and put the tom on the head and any other instrument on the rim, for example a crash or cowbell or tambourine, etc. - just like most TD modules do. I also split one with a standard insert cable ,and it worked about as good as what JMan showed in a recent Mimic video. The head triggered flawlessly and the rim wasn't as sensitive. Like the Mimic I'm hoping for a firmware upgrade to allow fully functional splitting to two separate inputs, but adding cowbell to a rim works for me for now.

Back to the Mimic, as you say....

ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro, TD-30 triggering Superior Drummer 3.0, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

Working...
                                X