Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Quiet E-drums?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quiet E-drums?

Well in another post I posed a question about making the edrums quieter. It started as a topic for making my Hart Ecymbal II more quiet. I figured making your edrums quiet was important enough to have its own topic. So I figure building some sort of sound/vibration dampening riser would be a good place to start. How would I go about building it? I've got some ideas, like 3 points touching the floor for minimum contact. What else should be considered? Is sound proofing the walls going too far, or not worth it?

What other searches should I use? I tried "riser" not much there.

The main problem is with downstairs neighbours especially because of bass pedals. If you use a KD7 it's even worse.

It's the low frequency sounds from pad vibration that you want to stop. Mesh pads have no problem here since most of the energy is absorbed by the mesh. The new V-cymbals are better than PD pads since they are more freely mounted and absorb more shock. Also it's better to have cymbals mounted on boom arms rather than on L posts for the same reason.

The higher frequency sounds like the "duk, duk" sound from PD pads won't travel much, just the vibrations they cause through the rack.

The three points idea will only work if you have plenty of shock absorbing above it. Otherwise all you are doing is concentrating the vibration into three areas, that's going to transmit more vibration to your floor.

I wouldn't worry about protecting the walls unless you have close neighbours.

You might want to try noise problems as a search, or neighbors. (Americans are always leaving U out of it.)

There are some very creative solutions out there, some are more hassle than others.

Comment

Well I've been reading older posts on the subject. I'm thinking of using dense foam rubber (maybe 4-6 inches thick), and gluing it to some plywood. Then, putting a layer or two of carpet and paddiing on top. I'm not sure if I should have one big, solid piece of foam under the plywood, or if I should glue 6" wide strips spaced at about 6" appart. I saw a link to a website of a company that designs a similar design. Anyone tried this yet? Anyone have an idea of what would work the best, or if any of this is even worth trying? I don't want a lot of expensive trial and error type stuff since I'm pretty much out of money from the drum purchase. I would like to spend as little money as possible on this aspect of drumming, and concentrate on buying "add ons" and accessories.

Comment

I see the error in my three point design. Yes the kick is the main problem, but I am also trying to cut down on noise in my own appartment. I want to be able to play when the family is asleep, or at least when the kid is napping durring the day. That is why I thought sound proofing the walls might be a good idea.

Comment

car tires?

------------------
          http://mpcman.flappie.nl
          Music was my first love...

Comment

With plywood on top of the tires (like a raft) and then float the whole thing in a kiddie pool.

Comment

Shhhh...

Modern Drummer, in next months issue, will have an article on soundproofing a room.
              Immensely powerful yet with a liquid cat-quick elegance

Comment

What about attatching a platform for the pedals to the rack. Then, put the rack legs on some kind of cushion. I've seen a pedal platform kind of thing on a website(can't remember which one). I think the platform was attatched to the rack. That might work and be cheaper than building a riser for the whole kit.

Comment

Working...
                X