This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jpsquared482 View Post

Thanks, Gui. In speaking with Scott and Mike Snyder from ATV, the ATV's hardware isn't designed to be compatible with drum splitters. However, I have a good feeling that we may see something with that ATV Link port before long based on MIke's response above.
    I think a Keith Raper splitter produce the same electric output as a piezo-switch pad (I.e. Yamaha or Roland cymbal). Therefore, a trigger input that accept a cymbal pad, must to accept a Keith Raper splitter. Probably, Scott and Mike are referring to another splitter, as a y-cable. Don't you think?

Comment

• Originally posted by Walse View Post

I think a Keith Raper splitter produce the same electric output as a piezo-switch pad (I.e. Yamaha or Roland cymbal). Therefore, a trigger input that accept a cymbal pad, must to accept a Keith Raper splitter. Probably, Scott and Mike are referring to another splitter, as a y-cable. Don't you think?
      I think you are mistaking it with another schematic of his The splitter though must be a substitute of a Roland style piezo-piezo pad and it's doing that by connecting the second (normally rim) piezo to the first through a resistor - that adds that little bit of x-talk between the two without which the second zone won't trigger. That's also why the second pad is not as sensitive as the one with the head piezo in it. Not sure if the module supports a 2box pad in dual zone mode, but if it does, then there is a good chance a regular Y splitter to work with type set to 2box, as the 2box pads have to have little to none x-talk between the zones by design, compared to Roland pads, which have to have some, again by design.
      Last edited by pumpal; 11-21-17, 05:28 PM.
      ATV aD5, Roland TD-15
      TAMA MetroJam2 TRB A2E

Comment

• Originally posted by pumpal View Post

I think you are mistaking it with another schematic of his The splitter though must be a substitute of a piezo-piezo pad and it's doing that by connecting the second (normally rim) piezo to the first through a resistor - that adds that little bit of x-talk between the two without which the second zone won't trigger. That's also why the second pad is not as sensitive as the one with the head piezo in it.
        I refer to this circuit:

http://edrum.for.free.fr/static/pict...InSplitter.jpg

This circuit mix the signal of two independent piezos into a single piezo/switch input. I've been using a circuit like that to split inputs of Yamaha Dtxtreme III module.
        Last edited by Walse; 11-21-17, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Here's all I have on this subject:

I used a standard stereo "Insert" splitter. It simply takes TRS an separates it into two mono jacks: Tip and Ring. It worked OK, but I had to jack up the sensitivity of the B tone in the module, and it still didn't trigger at low velocities.

I contacted Steve, and told him I got the above to sort-of work. He told me the aD5 doesn't support any form of splitter due to the hardware design. It could also cause a hardware issue. I won't be trying to split the Aux Inputs any longer. Mike also said the aD5 doesn't support Aux splitting.

We may be able to get it to work to some degree, but none of us has gotten acceptable sensitivity from the B tone. That said, it is possible to assign different tones to the A and B of the Aux Ins connected to a single pad. That's good enough for me for now.

On the other hand, I'm hoping the ATV Link will offer us additional capability in the future.
          Last edited by jpsquared482; 11-22-17, 06:50 AM. Reason: Changed "hardware failure" to "hardware issue" for accuracy.
          ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro, TD-30 triggering Superior Drummer 3.0, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

I contacted Steve, and told him I got the above to sort-of work. He told me the aD5 doesn't support any form of splitter due to the hardware design. It could also cause a hardware failure.

On the other hand, I'm hoping the ATV Link will offer us additional capability in the future.
            I am afraid to keep using my "drumsplitters" cable on AUX2 now
            This hardware failure refers to the module??? Lets say: can I "broke" something on the aD5 splitting the AUX inputs?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gui Sepultura View Post

I am afraid to keep using my "drumsplitters" cable on AUX2 now
              This hardware failure refers to the module??? Lets say: can I "broke" something on the aD5 splitting the AUX inputs?
              I read back through the email I received and Scott actually wrote:
              "The 3rd party modification box may work, but will not be supported by the aD5 firmware and may cause a hardware issue." (I went back and edited my post for accuracy on that point.)

I don't see how use of a non-powered device input into an aD5 aux in can cause any damage to module's hardware. We're talking about simple modifications to piezo circuits that limit the signal, not amplify it. So, the "issue" might simply be that it doesn't work they way you might want it to.
              ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro, TD-30 triggering Superior Drummer 3.0, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

I read back through the email I received and Scott actually wrote:
                "The 3rd party modification box may work, but will not be supported by the aD5 firmware and may cause a hardware issue." (I went back and edited my post for accuracy on that point.)

I don't see how use of a non-powered device input into an aD5 aux in can cause any damage to module's hardware. We're talking about simple modifications to piezo circuits that limit the signal, not amplify it. So, the "issue" might simply be that it doesn't work they way you might want it to.
                I follow your thinking

Comment

I refer to this circuit:
                  http://edrum.for.free.fr/static/pict...InSplitter.jpg
                  This circuit mix the signal of two independent piezos into a single piezo/switch input. I've been using a circuit like that to split inputs of Yamaha Dtxtreme III module.
                  Interesting, but looks too over-engineered for this case. I think this one has two use cases: a2e of a real ride and having a Yamaha module which inputs are only piezo-switch. In the case with aD5, here is much simpler solution that I was talking about, which mimics a Roland pad:
                  https://www.vdrums.com/forum/advance...x-tom-splitter

Originally posted by jpsquared482 View Post
                  ... it is possible to assign different tones to the A and B of the Aux Ins connected to a single pad. That's good enough for me for now.
                  ^^+1
                  Last edited by pumpal; 11-22-17, 09:02 AM.
                  ATV aD5, Roland TD-15
                  TAMA MetroJam2 TRB A2E

Comment

• Originally posted by demonocus View Post

I have also had it happen while hitting the bow,just can't seem to get it to rec but i found this interesting in 65 drums review of the ad5 found here: http://www.65drums.com/review-of-the-atv-ad5-module/ he says this"One thing they need to fix in the next update is a problem with the ride sustain clipping. But this only happens when you play kick snare and ride all at once, really fast." That is the exact problem i am having. I saw the pic you showed and to me it just looks like the hit is near the edge so it should have just played the rim sound not cut out(just saying) i don't know what a polyphony issue is exactly so i can't say if thats it or not.

What i can say for sure is i never had this happen when i was using my old td 9 module with the same cy15 cymbal.I also tried hitting the cymbal in the same place near the edge without doing double bass and snare and it never did it no matter where i hit it only happens while playing fast bass drum and snare and by the sounds of it its an old issue and i'm not the only one to have it.
                    In spite of this small issue i still love my ad5 and i feel this is something that a simple firmware update could fix or it might have something to do with roland cymbals,maybe the atv ride works better or maybe my cy15 is dying idk.

Anyway thank you for your help Mike
                    UPDATE: so i tried switching cymbals (that wasn't it) so i tried every type of setting i could (that wasn't it) so i gave up and decided i'll just have to live with the sustain dropouts ,then i decided i didn't like the snare sound i was using so i switched to the lwmaple snare(i think its called) and then i noticed something...no more dropouts for some reason idk what but that seemed to fix it and now my ad5 plays perfect.

The problem now is i started playing at 10pm and was just going to mess around for an hour or so but ended up playing until 2am ,i think the ad5 is also a time machine because it seemed like i only played for and hour or 2 but it ended up being 4 hours. Guess time flies when you're having fun.
                    ATV AD5 module,vh11, cy12c/r, cy15r, cy13c/r, axis long boards double pedal,pearl export drum shells with roland mesh heads,ddrum trigger on floor tom & roland rt30k trigger on kick drum,quartz trigger harness in upper toms and snare

Comment

The problem now is i started playing at 10pm and was just going to mess around for an hour or so but ended up playing until 2am ,i think the ad5 is also a time machine because it seemed like i only played for and hour or 2 but it ended up being 4 hours. Guess time flies when you're having fun.
                      Oh no, another case of aD5itis!

(On the other point, I'm perplexed about how the sustain dropout seems to have been solved by a change in snare. Weird.)

Comment

UPDATE: so i tried switching cymbals (that wasn't it) so i tried every type of setting i could (that wasn't it) so i gave up and decided i'll just have to live with the sustain dropouts ,then i decided i didn't like the snare sound i was using so i switched to the lwmaple snare(i think its called) and then i noticed something...no more dropouts for some reason idk what but that seemed to fix it and now my ad5 plays perfect.

Good news about the dropouts Demonocus but sorry to hear about your loss of time issue. Unfortunatley, it is a side effect of having an aD5.
                        ATV aDrums, aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro, Superior Drummer 3.0, Roland SPD-SX, DW Hardware

Comment

Which snare were you using before? The LWMaple is a new snare, I wonder if ATV is doing something different with their newer samples.
                          ATV aDrums, aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro, Superior Drummer 3.0, Roland SPD-SX, DW Hardware

Comment

• Originally posted by Chance27 View Post

Which snare were you using before? The LWMaple is a new snare, I wonder if ATV is doing something different with their newer samples.
                            I forget the name of it ,i think it was the snare from the metal9000 kit but i'm not 100% sure
                            ATV AD5 module,vh11, cy12c/r, cy15r, cy13c/r, axis long boards double pedal,pearl export drum shells with roland mesh heads,ddrum trigger on floor tom & roland rt30k trigger on kick drum,quartz trigger harness in upper toms and snare

Comment

• For anyone who is interested I uploaded ATV USA's 12 kits that were used in Drumtec's latest video. Steve from ATV sent them to me today. You can find the backup file here https://www.vdrums.com/forum/general...84#post1178384

Comment

• Very nice Chance, thanks for sharing... wondering if it is not possible to export a Kit without utilizing the backup function. That way we will be able to share kits among us .. gota check in the manual I guess ..
                                ATV aD5, Roland TD-15
                                TAMA MetroJam2 TRB A2E

Comment

Working...
                                X