Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Can't have both...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't have both...

I'm in a "live" playing situation with a TD-10, mixer, processing etc...
    I am currently renting a BBE462 for experimenting and love the way it sounds. My question is:
    Given the choice, what should I purchase?
    The BBE or a TDW-1?

Originally posted by Multilin:
    I'm in a "live" playing situation with a TD-10, mixer, processing etc...
    I am currently renting a BBE462 for experimenting and love the way it sounds. My question is:
    Given the choice, what should I purchase?
    The BBE or a TDW-1?

The TDW-1 will make a difference to your sounds (as most here will agree) and that should be the primary objective first get the most out of modules potential and then use outboard gear to further develop the sounds.

PS: How long have you been playing the TD-10 with the BBE?

------------------
    szvook
    Studio

Comment

...what should I purchase?
      The BBE or a TDW-1?
      Both. But agree with szvook on the order (and he's quite a BBE fan as am I). Get the TDW-1. If/when you get a BBE down the road, it will work its magic all the more having more to work with.

Comment

TDW-SE

------------------
        ~REDMAN~
        ~REDMAN~

Comment

Thanks for the response guys. I just picked up the BBE a week ago and I knew after 5 minutes that it would be an awesome addition to my drum system, trouble is of course funds... so buying both is definitely not an option at this time. I think your right though about getting the expansion board first.
          Szvook, thanks alot for all your posts on mixing boards and processing..very informative and usefull. I have a ton of questions about this topic because I'm extremely picky about my live sound and being that we do not use a front-of-house sound tech this can make for alot of anxiety on my part, not knowing what things really sound like out front when the bands playing.
          Question number 2:
          Szvook, if you were ever to play in a venue where you absolutley had to limit yourself on outboard gear (even without your own mixer possibly), what would you change on your module to get the job done? Is there any one piece of outboard gear that you feel is crucial for any live situation.

Thanks ahead of time.

P.S. Never heard of the TDW-SE is this just the latest version for V-Cymbals?

[This message has been edited by Multilin (edited August 03, 2001).]

Comment

[QUOTE]P.S. Never heard of the TDW-SE is this just the latest version for V-Cymbals?

Yes , make sure it has the update befor you buy.

------------------
            ~REDMAN~
            ~REDMAN~

Comment

Oooooooo! I wish you hadnt asked that one, Multilin.

You see I havent played my edrums (TD-8 or SDS-7) without using an outboard mixer ever. I made sure that I would get that piece of gear first and foremost before getting anything else, so I would say that would be my choice for a live venue.

You can get by with EQ and headroom for gain from a mixer to do the job (everything else such as a BBE; is gravy). To me, individual control to boost the EQ can compensate for the BBE effect in the mean time and since the TDs internal EQ can be applied to the whole kit only, you will definitely want to have headroom for EQ and gain per-sound from the TDs (or at least as many as possible sounds, based on number of outputs used in conjunction to the number of channels from the mixer).

Some people here have played live with the outputs from the TDs going directly to a house board with less then pleasant results low volume, flat sounds and no punch to the kick and snare. So once again that tells me that the TDs could not provide any more output (gain and EQ) and a mixer would help in this case.

That said; I cant put enough emphases on doing a sound check prior to the gig. If you can, get a chance to do a sound check a day before the gig (you never know unless you ask, the day of the gig for sure do a sound check). For edrums, a house sound systems output and the result to your sound output (and it can fluctuate form gig to gig) will play a major factor and in doing so will serve up the need to tweak the TD module. Most of the time it will be the EQ, Ambiance, Effect and the edit section for tuning the sounds. This is where tuning the drums and playing with EQ/gain from the mixer will give a range and more headroom (and you will appreciate that for sure) to work with based on the house sound system.

Youve mentioned earlier that you are in a "live" playing situation with a TD-10, mixer, processing etc..., so does that mean you have a mixer for your self or its the bands board? What processing equipment do you use?

BTW, Guitar Center is having their anniversary sales and selling brand new BBE 482s for $199.99. I am not sure what the going rate online for a new 482, but that is not a bad deal and I am sure that is not their best price.

Good luck.

------------------
              szvook

[This message has been edited by szvook (edited August 04, 2001).]

Studio

Comment

Ebay item for ya Multilin or whoever....482.. http://cgi.ca.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayIS...tem=1452716687

------------------
                ~REDMAN~

[This message has been edited by redman (edited August 04, 2001).]
                ~REDMAN~

Comment

I did a jam last week w/my v's and BBE going through a killer PA and im just so happy I got one (thanx szvook and nice CD as well)

Comment

I just bought a 482 and use it on the entire mix on the FOH efx rack...it it killer.

szvook - are you running the module outs to a "personal mixer" near you, then going to the main board? Just curious....
                    BTW - you are full of valuable knowledge. thanks....

Erik

Comment

Szvook,
                      I have 2 mixers, Mackie 1604VLZ and 2404VLZ, Behringer stereo compressor/limiter/gate, Alesis Multi effects, Behringer dual engine Multi effects, Rane 1/3 octave stereo EQ, Alesis 1/3 octave stereo EQ, BBE462, QSC power amps, Elite front of house full range cabs, Elite powered sub and full range cabs for my drum monitoring, phase-plasma rifle with laser sights etc, etc.
                      I'm trying to keep it lite by mixing everything through the 1604 and leaving the 2404 at home. I could pre-mix my drums with the 1604 and then send that to the 2404 and mix the rest of the band there but again, I'm trying to simplify and maintain really good control. Any of the above equipment can be utilized in a million combinations of course. What I would really like to have is a way to do these larger gigs and then also be able to take the drums to a small venue with bare minimal processing and produce acceptable drum sounds.

Thanks a ton.

Comment

Originally posted by sepdrums:
                        I just bought a 482 and use it on the entire mix on the FOH efx rack...it it killer.

szvook - are you running the module outs to a "personal mixer" near you, then going to the main board? Just curious....
                        BTW - you are full of valuable knowledge. thanks....

Erik

Yes my signals from the TD-8 are running to my Mackie mixer through my rack. The kick and snare are processed separately for boost, compression (the toms/cymbals/hats, etc, the same) and 4-band parametric tube EQ applied for all. The additional EQ and gain is applied on my Mackie then the mix goes out to the main board.

The BBE leaves a nice impression on one, dont it Eric?

------------------
                        szvook
                        Studio

Comment

Originally posted by cpgrossman:
                          I did a jam last week w/my v's and BBE going through a killer PA and im just so happy I got one (thanx szvook and nice CD as well)
                          Any time. Glad you liked our music.

------------------
                          szvook
                          Studio

Comment

Szvook,
                            I have 2 mixers, Mackie 1604VLZ and 2404VLZ, Behringer stereo compressor/limiter/gate, Alesis Multi effects, Behringer dual engine Multi effects, Rane 1/3 octave stereo EQ, Alesis 1/3 octave stereo EQ, BBE462, QSC power amps, Elite front of house full range cabs, Elite powered sub and full range cabs for my drum monitoring, phase-plasma rifle with laser sights etc, etc.
                            I'm trying to keep it lite by mixing everything through the 1604 and leaving the 2404 at home. I could pre-mix my drums with the 1604 and then send that to the 2404 and mix the rest of the band there but again, I'm trying to simplify and maintain really good control. Any of the above equipment can be utilized in a million combinations of course. What I would really like to have is a way to do these larger gigs and then also be able to take the drums to a small venue with bare minimal processing and produce acceptable drum sounds.

Thanks a ton.
                            Waityou have all of these at your disposal?
                            BTW, nice selection of equipment.

Take the compressor, EQ(s), effect(s) and the 1604VLZ that should be enough. Get a rack if you dont have one and stick those puppies in there.

My signal processors rig is fairly mid size and easy to take with me for any venue.

I am using a Focusrite Compounder, Drawmer DL251, Alisis 3630, BBE 882, Aphex Aural Exciter C2- model 104, Lexicon MPX-1 and Behringer Tube T1951 EQ.

------------------
                            szvook

Studio

Comment

Working...
                            X