Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

KD-80 double, triple, quadruple triggering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KD-80 double, triple, quadruple triggering

I just got my v-custom set yesterday, why can't a single stroke on the kick just be a single stroke? why does it have to trigger many, many times? sometimes double-bass blasts are uncalled for... can someone help me out?

thanks

yustin

Nothing to worry about, you're probably burying the beater and are not used to the extra bouncy-ness of the KD80's mesh head. I found they took some time adjusting to, as far as technique goes. Letting the beater come all the way back helps a lot. Try moving your foot back towards the middle of the pedal, using more of the leverage of the pedal itself to help the beater come back naturally after every stroke. Worked for me.

Stu
    "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

That is why the KD-7 is better!

:rolleyes:

Comment

Yeah, but the KD-7 falls off my pedals, and I'm not about to ditch the best pedals on the market (IMHO) for something inferior just to use the KD-7 when I'm already used to a KD-120 ;-) I'm still thinking about a Boom Theory bass drum, full size, and not so dinky looking as a KD-insert number here.

Stu,
        off to band practice!

Comment

Originally posted by Jgel:
          That is why the KD-7 is better!

Comment

flam5adiddle,

Try loosening the head tension on the kick trigger to reduce the bounce.
            Immensely powerful yet with a liquid cat-quick elegance

Comment

Reduce the Mask Time.

Comment

Originally posted by mcconaghy:
                Yeah, but the KD-7 falls off my pedals, and I'm not about to ditch the best pedals on the market (IMHO)
                I'll bet that you are using the Tama Iron Cobra?? (I am waaaaay out on a limb here - prepare to have myself look like a jerk!) The reason I say this is that I also had problems with the IC falling off my KD-7's. An angle grinder and a few neat notches in the KD-7 soon fixes this problem. Go with the ol' trusty KD-7's. They'll love you back.
                Steve

'I only ever quote myself - except when I quote someone else' - me

, plenty of , and , , triggered acoustics, , and a plethora of PA blah blah freakin blah...I mean does anyone care about the specifics of pedals, speakers, processors, hardware or anything that I'm using?? :confused: Hmmm, maybe this is an appropriate place to mention that I tried out a new cymbal stand the other day...

Comment

Originally posted by Steveo the Devo:
                  I'll bet that you are using the Tama Iron Cobra?? (I am waaaaay out on a limb here - prepare to have myself look like a jerk!) The reason I say this is that I also had problems with the IC falling off my KD-7's. An angle grinder and a few neat notches in the KD-7 soon fixes this problem. Go with the ol' trusty KD-7's. They'll love you back.
                  You've lost that bet, but there's no calling you jerk on my watch! I never liked the ICs, I'm using Premier EDP 300's, very nice pedals with extremely smooth action nd a fantastic feel. The problem with these pedals is that the hoop clamp is a separate unit and is normally held firmly in place by the weight of the kick. Since the KD-7s weigh next to nothing they tend to bounce off at any given moment due to the angle of the stroke from the beater. Kind of stupid, but I don't think Premier developed these pedals with inverted kick triggers in mind.
                  Nice tip about solving the IC problem though, you should post some pics of your solution for the IC users here!

Stu

Comment

KD-80/120s Rule

Comment

I use the DW7000 series pedals and have never had a problem.......KD7's for me!!

Jeff

Comment

Stu, I use a Premier EDP300 as well. Do you use an inverted beater or have you just angled the existing beater around by 90 degrees, like I have? I'm using the medium elastomers on their losest setting, but the pedal is still a bit hard and bouncy. Do you have any suggestions? I'm going to buy some soft elastomers to see if that helps...

Schmunk

------------------
                        TD-8, Pintech pads, Pearl rack, PM-3, Behringer 802 mixer and DSP1400 UltraMizer
                        TD-8, Pintech pads, Pearl rack, Mackie SRM-450, Behringer 802 mixer and DSP1400 UltraMizer, Electric Sticks.

Comment

Originally posted by Schmunk:
                          Stu, I use a Premier EDP300 as well. Do you use an inverted beater or have you just angled the existing beater around by 90 degrees, like I have? I'm using the medium elastomers on their losest setting, but the pedal is still a bit hard and bouncy. Do you have any suggestions? I'm going to buy some soft elastomers to see if that helps...

Schmunk
                          I tried both the inverted beater and angling the normal beater, but nothing really worked for me, so I switched to the KD-120.
                          The way my pedal is set is is the footboard is at it's longest setting, i.e. the heel-plate is pulled as far back as it goes, the leverage adjuster is pushed away from me, if you look from your playing position it is almost horizontally pointing away from me. Apart from that I use the medium elastomers as well, and have them at their tightest setting, actually, which may be extremely bouncy for you, and most others, but for me is just fine. My beaters have a pretty long throw, which forces me to play with my foot halfway down the pedal to use the extra leverage, or else the rebound of my beaters would probably break my legs.
                          Personally I've never felt that these pedals were hard, but I've always noticed just playing with the heel-plate adjustment makes a huge difference in how this pedal feels.
                          Personally I'll be very sad if they should ever discontinue these, it's the only pedal I want to play, and I've been waiting for a hihat version for close to 5 years, dammit!

Stu

Comment

Originally posted by mcconaghy:
                            You've lost that bet,
                            Damn!!

Good thing I didn't put money on it!
                            Steve

'I only ever quote myself - except when I quote someone else' - me

, plenty of , and , , triggered acoustics, , and a plethora of PA blah blah freakin blah...I mean does anyone care about the specifics of pedals, speakers, processors, hardware or anything that I'm using?? :confused: Hmmm, maybe this is an appropriate place to mention that I tried out a new cymbal stand the other day...

Comment

Funny, I just mentioned this in a response to a post just a minute ago.

I HAVE THE SOLUTION!!!

I just recorded with my V-Custom set and went through hell with KD-80 double-triggers. I didn't hear them while recording, but when the engineer isolated the kick track he went ballistic and demanded that I redo the kick. I noticed that the pad does bounce back at you, which I originally thought was the problem. So, I had someone hold the thing while I re-recorded - didn't work. I tried kicking a different way, but while that stopped a lot of it, random re-triggers were still scattered throughout the track and the rest of my drumming suffered, because I was concentrating on not re-triggering. I was about to give up when I came across a parameter listed in the TD-8 manual: RETRIGCANCEL (Retrigger Cancel - page 132 of TD-8 manual.) The default value is 3. I found that increasing it to 10 didn't affect the drum's sound and it COMPLETELY STOPPED the re-triggering. The newly recorded track now has perfect bass drum and I was able to concentrate on the song and my drumming instead of worrying about re-trigger.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Working...
                              X