PD-85 as a replacement for PDX-6

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PD-85 as a replacement for PDX-6

I'm looking to replace my PDX-6s with PD-85s and have been reading a lot about hotspots and the prominent rim on the PD-85. I've already replaced a PDX-8 with a PDX-100 to use as a snare along with my TD-15 module (so no positional sensing). I just LOVE that upgrade and absolutely hate the plastic ring of the PDX-6 and 8, so it seemed like a no-brainer to swap out my remaining PDX-6s with PD-85 - same physical size, increased pad diameter, better look, no plastic ring. Right? But then all this talk of hotspots and the high rim of the PD-85 and now I have my doubts.

I come from a long history of playing acoustics so I can't imagine the rim of the PD-85 is any worse than that of a similar-sized acoustic tom, is it? If so, then THAT could be a deal-breaker. And regarding hotspots, I don't know whether I'm less prone to them with my PDX-100 and TD-15 or if I just haven't noticed, but it doesn't seem like a problem for me... yet (or at all). Would adding PD-85s to the mix dramatically introduce the hotspot issue?

Thanks all.

Anthony
    TD-30, PDX-100 snare, PD-85 (x4), CY-5 (hh), CY-8 (x2), CY-5 (x2), CY-13R, KT-10 (x2), BT-1 (x2), SPD-SX, MDS-TDKP1 folding rack
    QSC K10 monitor, Sennheiser HD280 Pro/Bose QC35 cans, Red Roc-N-Soc Nitro throne

Welcome to the forums.
    Your journey is the typical (and expensive) way most folks start out. The saying around here is buy your 2nd (in your case 4th) kit the first time.
    The PD-85s will not be any different than the PDX- 100s as far as the hot spots go.
    Have fun.
    "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

????????, TD9 side module, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

Thanks Intruder. Any thoughts on the rim issue?
      TD-30, PDX-100 snare, PD-85 (x4), CY-5 (hh), CY-8 (x2), CY-5 (x2), CY-13R, KT-10 (x2), BT-1 (x2), SPD-SX, MDS-TDKP1 folding rack
      QSC K10 monitor, Sennheiser HD280 Pro/Bose QC35 cans, Red Roc-N-Soc Nitro throne

Comment

The PD-85 rim is more like a acoustic than the PDX-6 or 8s.
        I never gave it much thought as being a problem.
        "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

????????, TD9 side module, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

Works for me! Thanks again.

Comment

Hi Outlaw!

you should think about getting additional pdx-100 instead of pd-85bk. They are bigger, feel better (rebound), lower room noise and new ones are even cheaper. IMO best value for money.
            Not for nothing the PDX-100 are components of the Brand new TD-50k.

in my Set I have one Rack Tom pd-85 and two pdx-100 as Floor Toms. I will definitely replace the 85 with the 100 in the near future!
            Last edited by Oli; 01-10-17, 08:48 AM.
            TD-25/KD-120/PD-125/PD-85/(2x)PDX-100
            VH-11/CY-12C/CY-14C/CY-13R/CY-15R
            Pearl Demonator/Beyerdynamic DT 770m
            Drum-Tec Throne/Vic Firth 5AN American Classic

Comment

+1 on the PDX100's

I replaced my PDX6's and PDX8's with PDX100's (plus one PD120 for snare). I used Ebay to save some cash - no problems with anything yet.

Last edited by EssKayKay; 01-10-17, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Oli View Post
                Hi Outlaw!

you should think about getting additional pdx-100 instead of pd-85bk. They are bigger, feel better (rebound), lower room noise and new ones are even cheaper.
                I have everything mounted on the very compact rack that comes with the TD-4KP. I need such a small and foldable rack in my conditions. So with my limited space and capacity, even my existing PDX-6's are very tightly packed the way I have them mounted. With the PD-85 having essentially the same outer diameter as the PDX-6, I know I can make that work. PDX-100's would absolutely knock into each other.

Comment

Originally posted by Outlaw Pilot View Post
                  With the PD-85 having essentially the same outer diameter as the PDX-6, I know I can make that work. PDX-100's would absolutely knock into each other.
                  My main concern, as well. I'm on the lookout for an 8" mesh-head drum. The 100 would be too big to fit into the spot. I mean it's possible but would look ugly as hell. The tom needs to represent the aspect ratio of a real/acoustic 10" tom compared to others. When PDX-100 is representing 14" and 16" floor toms, it seems inapropriate to use them for 10" or 12" as well. Hence I used a PDX-8 for 12" and now absolutely need something smaller for the 10" tom. The PD-8 fits extremely well. Tried PD-7, was too small. PD-9 was too big. The same for another PDX-8 or PDX-100's.
                  I'm only wondering why second-hand PD-80's or PD-85's are so expensive. They cost almost the same as PDX-100.
                  Last edited by alensiljak; 01-16-17, 05:11 AM.
                  https://www.vdrums.com/forum/perform...44011-my-kit-s

Comment

The biggest issue for me is the inner plastic ring of the PDX-6 and PDX-8. While I don't hit them very often at all, LOOK does matter and acoustics just don't have an ugly white rim encircling the drumhead. I just hope the performance of the PD-85 isn't a let down by comparison. I don't know exactly how it WOULD be, but I'll find out in the next couple of days.

Comment

Pd-85bk are a great improvement from the pdx-6. It does feel and Look way better!
                      TD-25/KD-120/PD-125/PD-85/(2x)PDX-100
                      VH-11/CY-12C/CY-14C/CY-13R/CY-15R
                      Pearl Demonator/Beyerdynamic DT 770m
                      Drum-Tec Throne/Vic Firth 5AN American Classic

Comment

Originally posted by Oli View Post
                        Pd-85bk are a great improvement from the pdx-6. It does feel and Look way better!
                        That's confidence inspiring, thanks. I'd had to give up my brand new PDX-6s and 8s in trade on the PD-85s only to discover after it's too late that it was a bad move!

Comment

Anyone familiar with the scope of differences between 80 and 85?

Comment

Looks like the PD-80 is no longer in production and has only mono capabilities, therefore no rim. It was, therefore, never an option for me as it would seem to be a clear downgrade.

Comment

Ah, I see. That was the confusing bit for me. PD-80 is mono but PD-80R is stereo.
                              https://www.roland.com/global/products/pd-80r/

Comment

Working...
                              X