Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TD-20 owner with a few bucks: TDW-20 or TD-30 or TD-50?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-20 owner with a few bucks: TDW-20 or TD-30 or TD-50?

Hi all
    after having spent a few years raising my family, now kids are finally standing on their feet and I got my time back to practice and love my electronic kit, which is made of 2 drum modules (TD-8 + TD-20) and a few pads/cymbals
    I am having a few issues with hi-hat response (VH-12 on an Iron Cobra HH905 stand), and reading here and there I got the impression TDW-20 expansion brings new life to the hi-hat and cymbals
    Unfortunately this expansion module is nowhere to be found on the web, ebay included.
    So I believe I'm left with the only option of a new module in that case, which could be either an 'ole TD-30 or a flaming new TD-50.
    Could you please help me sorting out my doubts , by highlighting the differences / improvement vs my actual TD-20 ? Are they worth it?
    Another question: during the last 6/7 years I switched my foot technique from heel down to heel up, and I am finding some troubles with multiple rebounds and lack of precision. I knew of some technical aspects (parameters changed on TD-20), my question is with a new drum module is this goin to change for the better or will it stay the same (retrig cancellation and the other parameter to be changed)?

Thanks a lot
    Roland TD-20/MDS-20BK/1 PD-80R/4 PD-105BK/4 CY12R/C/1 PD-7/1 KD-120/1 VH-12/1 PD-125BK/1 CY-15R/1 Tama HP9000RG Iron Cobra Double Pedal/1 Tama HH905 Iron Cobra Hi-Hat stand/1 Tama HS700WN snare Stand
    meet me at http://web.mac.com/lucaepaola

I've owned a td20 and added the tdw20 card which did improve the hi hat responds. Also bought a td30 when it came out and the hi hat responds was even much better when coupled with the vh 13 hi hats.
    from what I read and heard on videos on the new td50, I will pass! However, I just sold my td30 and will use the funds towards a pearl mimic pro. When it comes out.
    Roland TD 20 bk, TD 20X, VH13, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Kit Toys, Gibraltar rack, Roland KC 500,
    Audio Technica ADH50X, BBE Sonic Maximizer

Comment

Thanks a lot for your kind response.
      Not having been in touch with the e-drumming community, I wasn't aware of the new Pearl , and saw a couple videos today. It looks like a great product, however I'm still in love with my Roland gear so I am quite keen with staying on the same brand.
      Out of curiosity, why did you sell your TD-30? Was it a matter of not being satisfied with it?
      Roland TD-20/MDS-20BK/1 PD-80R/4 PD-105BK/4 CY12R/C/1 PD-7/1 KD-120/1 VH-12/1 PD-125BK/1 CY-15R/1 Tama HP9000RG Iron Cobra Double Pedal/1 Tama HH905 Iron Cobra Hi-Hat stand/1 Tama HS700WN snare Stand

Comment

I recently upgraded to the TD-50, and I think it would be a mistake to dismiss it on the basis of online vids or a short 'in store' audition. It is deeper and more flexible than previous Roland modules (TD-20x, 25, 30) and the combination of the new samples and the layering capabilities are eye-opening once you start playing and tweaking.

Out of the box, it really gives you fairly dry and raw materials that barely hint at the real capabilities and sounds, and it's customisable to a degree that the previous modules haven't been.

Getting proficient with the new palette of sounds and options is challenging, but I'm not regretting making the leap.
        TD-50KV extended kit with KD-A22 kick, DW pedals and stands. Integrated with additional Roland mesh pads and cyms, plus TD-9 'sidecar' for additional triggers and sound layering.

Comment

Thanks CobaltSky.
          At the moment I'm "stuck" with VH-12, PD-125BK, PD-105, CY-15R, and a lot of CY-12R/C cymbals.
          I saw TD-50KV comes with a new digital snare, and the price for the module is quite hefty (about 2500$).
          I didn't even check the price of a new snare (the digital PD-140) or the new VH-13, but I tend to believe they would make quite a difference vs my actual ones.
          What do you recommend based on your experience?
          Thanks a lot for sharing.

Comment

I could have purchased either the TD30 or the TD 50, I chose the TD30 for a few reasons:

1) More Sounds - After perusing the forums, videos and reading the TD 50 manual I am not quite sure the sampling feature will help me achieve the kinds of kits I want. I have a Yamaha DTXtreme 3 and am not happy with the sampling feature and the physical limitations of RAM. Even having professionally sampled multi layered sounds it takes a sound engineer to even get acceptable playability. I am not convinced that Roland has figured it out either, waiting is the only good option and seeing what others produce first. So the 30 makes more sense for me right now to have the thing up quickly and running.

2) Price- A used unit in great candition can be had for $1400.00 shipped versus the artificial price point of $2399.00, is the TD 50 a thousand dollars better than the TD30, I ultimately decided no.

3) Value- Roland modules hold their value, if the TD50 pans out to be great I can always sell, trade in or keep the 30 as a second module and pick up a used 50 at some point used for $1800 or lower.

4) Features - Someone here on the Forums wrote a great thread regarding the feature list of both modules, there are a few features in the 30 that were changed/removed from the 50 that I hope will be returned in a future update. The only COSM feature that I really am psyched about in the TD50 is the cymbal thickness. Not enough to make me decide to get it.

Anyway, this was my thinking, I still may get the 18" ride and the new digital snare and re shell it to look good in the near future so if the new module pans out I can plug it in and go.

I wrote because I was going through the same dilemma and figured I would put my 2 cents in. As always your mileage may vary. Good Luck in whatever you decide. TK
            www.EDrumForum.com Going to be strictly a DIY e Drum Community

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=198

Comment

They look like very reasonable points TK. Thanks a lot.
              At this moment TD-30 looks like the winner here

Comment

Originally posted by KnipeDrums View Post
                I could have purchased either the TD30 or the TD 50, I chose the TD30 for a few reasons:

1) More Sounds - After perusing the forums, videos and reading the TD 50 manual I am not quite sure the sampling feature will help me achieve the kinds of kits I want. I have a Yamaha DTXtreme 3 and am not happy with the sampling feature and the physical limitations of RAM. Even having professionally sampled multi layered sounds it takes a sound engineer to even get acceptable playability. I am not convinced that Roland has figured it out either, waiting is the only good option and seeing what others produce first. So the 30 makes more sense for me right now to have the thing up quickly and running.

4) Features - Someone here on the Forums wrote a great thread regarding the feature list of both modules, there are a few features in the 30 that were changed/removed from the 50 that I hope will be returned in a future update. The only COSM feature that I really am psyched about in the TD50 is the cymbal thickness. Not enough to make me decide to get it.
                1- It is impossible to get major new sound with this feature, simply because you need to mix the imported wav with the internal sound, 80% you will still heard the original TD-50 sound, and you will need to reduce the imported wav volume to prevent machine gunning, we are not talking about 2box or pearl mimic sound layering, Roland should at least allow 4 layers for more gradual change on the layers, 1 is very limited, Roland claim with their cosm you can virtually do all sound in a drumshop, I am still waiting to heard the sound of true sound of all snare on the market and acoustic drumkits, 25 years of cosm, it's impossible to recreate complete new instruments from the original drum factory instruments based from cosm, you will get something not right and some synthetic mixed sound, Roland use synth base feature to modifies the original wav instruments sound output same as any usual synthesizer method (outside analogue synth).

2-The cymbal thickness in td-50 are simply fine tune up and down, nothing related to true cymbal thickness in real life, it's usual tuning.

Natural sample and layering will always had the true natural sound above other method possible.
                Last edited by Chris K; 01-07-17, 05:02 PM.
                Regards
                Chris K

DW Collector Drum, Roland TD-15\VST Powered, Spd-SX, Yamaha Pmc1 midi brain

Comment

Originally posted by ddregs View Post
                  Thanks a lot for your kind response.
                  Not having been in touch with the e-drumming community, I wasn't aware of the new Pearl , and saw a couple videos today. It looks like a great product, however I'm still in love with my Roland gear so I am quite keen with staying on the same brand.
                  Out of curiosity, why did you sell your TD-30? Was it a matter of not being satisfied with it?
                  I would have rather sold the tdw20 but I chose to sell the td 30 because I could get more cash for it
                  to fund the mimic pro. The td 30 has a few upgrades from the td20

such as better hi bat articulation and such but 70% of the sounds were borrowed from the td20.
                  if I were to choose between the td 20 or td30, I would choose the td 30.
                  however, I have been longing for more realistic drum sounds he ce is why I am skipping
                  the td 50 and going with the pearl mimic pro.
                  Roland TD 20 bk, TD 20X, VH13, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Kit Toys, Gibraltar rack, Roland KC 500,
                  Audio Technica ADH50X, BBE Sonic Maximizer

Comment

Originally posted by Chris K View Post

1- It is impossible to get major new sound which this feature, simply because you need to mix the imported wav with the internal sound, 80% you will still heard the original TD-50 sound, and you will need to reduce the imported wav volume to prevent machine gunning, we are not talking about 2box or pearl mimic sound layering, Roland should at least allow 4 layers for more gradual change on the layers, 1 is very limited, Roland claim with their cosm you can virtually do all sound in a drumshop, I am still waiting to heard the sound of true sound of all snare on the market and acoustic drumkits, 25 years of cosm, it's impossible to recreate complete new instruments from the original drum factory instruments based from cosm, you will get something not right and some synthetic mixed sound, Roland use synth base feature to modifies the original wav instruments sound output same as any usual synthesizer method (outside analogue synth).

2-The cymbal thickness in td-50 are simply fine tune up and down, nothing related to true cymbal thickness in real life, it's usual tuning.

Natural sample and layering will always had the true natural sound above other method possible.
                    Chris, most of my experience with samples came from using the Xtreme 3, it was a disappointing experience as far as sampling with multi layers and velocity switching. So when i saw the types of tom and snare sounds I decided i dont want to buy something with potential. I can tweak decent sounds from the 30 and mix in my desired cymbal sounds from the Xtreme and I will be happy.

The cymbal thickness feature I was excited about and after reading your explanation I am not so excited about it. That strengthens my decision to go with the 30. Thanks, TK

Comment

Originally posted by ddregs View Post
                      Hi all
                      after having spent a few years raising my family, now kids are finally standing on their feet and I got my time back to practice and love my electronic kit, which is made of 2 drum modules (TD-8 + TD-20) and a few pads/cymbals
                      I am having a few issues with hi-hat response (VH-12 on an Iron Cobra HH905 stand), and reading here and there I got the impression TDW-20 expansion brings new life to the hi-hat and cymbals
                      Unfortunately this expansion module is nowhere to be found on the web, ebay included.
                      So I believe I'm left with the only option of a new module in that case, which could be either an 'ole TD-30 or a flaming new TD-50.
                      Could you please help me sorting out my doubts , by highlighting the differences / improvement vs my actual TD-20 ? Are they worth it?
                      Another question: during the last 6/7 years I switched my foot technique from heel down to heel up, and I am finding some troubles with multiple rebounds and lack of precision. I knew of some technical aspects (parameters changed on TD-20), my question is with a new drum module is this goin to change for the better or will it stay the same (retrig cancellation and the other parameter to be changed)?

Thanks a lot
                      I would consider the Mimic pro first but if you want to stay with Roland get the TD50. I have been using the TD50 live and editing it for 2 months so I have a different perspective. I also was quoted $1900 for a TD50 module so $500 more than a used TD30 made sense to me. There are no features from the TD30 missing for my needs of playing live with the module and getting a realistic kit and percussion sound. There are many advantages to the TD50:

1. Sample import
                      2. Layering of internal samples
                      3. Transient designer to enhance or lower attack[makes snare and kick very punchy. Can make toms sound less machine like]
                      4. REAL room and overhead samples that can be adjusted per zone of drum.
                      5. 3 digital reverbs[ambience]
                      6. Stereo enhancer adjustable per drum.
                      7. Dual band master compressor/limiter.
                      8. Snare wire type[number of strands looks like 12,20 amd 40] ,tightness and level . Makes an huge difference compared to other modules for snare sounds especially combined with double layering internal snares.
                      9. The ride is light years better than the TD30. You can adjust ping and thickness. I was able to make a very close duplicate of my Paiste signature dry ride using the heavy setting as a base. The new ride pad is excellent and very good bell control. There is also an additional tip sound at the edge so 4 sounds.
                      10. Digital snare pad with triple mesh head and auto detect for cross stick. I also noticed that the dynamic range is different than any regular pad that I have used. It has an extra loud hit that I was never able to dial in with a standard pad. You could add a 3rd party 14" pad instead but I was quoted almost the same price from Drum tech and they don't ship to the US. I currently have a 13" pad being made by Diamond drums so I will be able to do a direct comparison. It is intended for floor tom, or snare if I switch to a Mimic pro.

In my case it worked out well buying a TD50 K and selling alot of it off with my TD30 module. It was only a $1500 difference in my case. Check around for package prices on the Module,ride and snare.

Comment

Originally posted by KnipeDrums View Post
                        versus the artificial price point of $2399.00, is the TD 50 a thousand dollars better than the TD30, I ultimately decided no.
                        You can get the TD-50 for a lot cheaper than the list price of $2399 You can easily get one for under 2 grand if you don't go with the typical big box music stores like Guitar Center or Musicians Friend.

I had a TD 30 and a TD 50 and there is no comparison. The TD-50 is light years ahead of the 30

Comment

Originally posted by jsnkc View Post

You can get the TD-50 for a lot cheaper than the list price of $2399 You can easily get one for under 2 grand if you don't go with the typical big box music stores like Guitar Center or Musicians Friend.
                          where are the links? I only see 2400$ street price on all USD online store, In Canada all are mostly 3700$ tax included, and Australia around 3500$
                          http://www.proaudiostar.com/roland-t...nd-module.html
                          https://edrumcenter.com/products/rol...50-drum-module
                          http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TD50
                          http://www.kraftmusic.com/roland-td-...nd-module.html
                          Last edited by Chris K; 01-09-17, 11:34 PM.
                          Regards
                          Chris K

DW Collector Drum, Roland TD-15\VST Powered, Spd-SX, Yamaha Pmc1 midi brain

Comment

Best thing to do is call places and ask them to give you a price quote. Most of them won't list the cheapest price they can go on the website.

Comment

Originally posted by jsnkc View Post
                              Best thing to do is call places and ask them to give you a price quote. Most of them won't list the cheapest price they can go on the website.
                              I don't haggle, I do what Chris posted, I search Google for the best price and check stock with retailers I have purchased from in the past. The best I could find was $2399.00, when I am ready to Purchase the TD50 I will check here to see if anyone has seen a better price. TK

Comment

Working...
                              X