Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TD-50 OWNERS ONLY: Module, Kit, Digital Upgrade Pack. Owners Only PLEASE!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-50 OWNERS ONLY: Module, Kit, Digital Upgrade Pack. Owners Only PLEASE!

I started this thread for those that actually own the new product/products. This should serve as a good place for owners to share their experience, ask questions, share or receive relevant tips and generally get into the heart of the new module and hardware. There are plenty of responses on why or why not to purchase the new module and products in the original TD-50 discussion thread. So let's keep this thread for those that actually own the new product/products. J

PS: I do have the new TD-50 Digital Pack pre-ordered and coming soon. I was told it should ship this week. And it is right on time as far as the ETA Roland was mentioning from day 1 for pre-ordered modules or individual TD-50 components. So, I took the liberty of posting this thread for those who own the product and I'll share my own experiences once my TD-50DP arrives.
    Last edited by JmanWord; 01-03-17, 12:50 AM.
    I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
    Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Powered by the TD-50 and 2ea. 2Box modules, drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Originally posted by JmanWord View Post
    It is prolly time to start a TD-50 owner's thread. That way TD-50 owners that are actually using it can interact. This current thread can serve as a general discussion of the TD-50. That would probably be more beneficial to those who are actually using the TD-50.
    Amen to this. If those who dont own this and are so sure they hate it and have already made a decision based on videos and limited play time ..move on guys. And stop saying the same thing over and over again.

Comment

• drummer1961
      drummer1961 commented
      Editing a comment
      It is prolly time to start a TD-50 owner's thread. That way TD-50 owners that are actually using it can interact. This current thread can serve as a general discussion of the TD-50. That would probably be more beneficial to those who are actually using the TD-50.
      I agree Jman, an owners forum would be highly welcome.

I'm a proud new owner of the TD-50 upgrade kit with snare and ride. I've made by way up from TD-7 with each sequential generation up to now. I've used the TD-20X in combo with a Yamaha Oak Custom kit on a Pink Floyd tribute show and was always complimented on the sound much if it thanks to Alan from VEX. Until my recent acquisition of the TD-50 I've been using the TD-30 in a cover band that I work with that does corporate gigs and am always complimented on the good sound of the Roland (again thanks to Alan from VEX) and our audiences always appreciate how the band can control the volume which in large part is thanks to the VDrums and in ear monitors. Our stage volume averages 82db. I recently did a New Year gig where the other band's drummer was playing a large 2 module TD-10 kit and me playing the kit with the new TD-50 and with the module arriving only a few days before the gig it was mostly in stock form. The difference between the generations is absolutely astonishing and the comparison between the 30 and 50 is light years apart especially in a live sound setting. The snare and ride and even new cymbals are as real as it gets and I think I read somewhere that the kick is a bit thin which is true but nothing that some tweaking won't address. I for one would really appreciate an owners forum that will help those of us out there that are hungry to learn the seemingly endless capabilities of the module. I'm looking forward to gigging more with the TD-50. I host a weekly open stage where I play my acoustic kit that is usually 2 or 3 channel mic'd and then use the Rolands for the larger corporate work that I do. It used to be that I more or less loathed using the electronic drums on live shows because of the electronic, machine gun sounds but with the TD-30 that started to change and now with TD-50 I almost prefer the electronics over the acoustics. No mic bleed, always in tune and sound awesome to the audience. What more could one ask for! All I can say is I can't wait for Alan at VEX to tweak the 50, I'm definitely in line for that!

Originally posted by Peter Warren View Post

Adding the low jump kick as a layer is a quick fix to a fat PA kick sound. I am glad you also find it great for live PA work. The only thing I would like smoothed out is the hi hat. I do a lot of afrobeat/ 16th hi hat.
    Thanks Peter, I'll give that a shot. I've been looking in on your video and your kit sound great! I agree with the hi hats. They don't seem as good as the 30 but I'm hoping an update may address this. Cheers!

Comment

• JmanWord
      JmanWord commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Bobvan View Post
      Im using VH11 and also still working on adjusting was fine with 30
      What I was referring to is the Extra tight closed HH sound that is only available when using the VH-12 or VH-13. I was assuming that was the too tight HH transition that was being discussed. And that is the reason I mentioned manually adjusting the HH offset, so the extra tight transition can be avoided by manually adjusting that. But it might be just the normal closed HH sound you are all talking about.

From the TD-30 manual:

When you strike the hi-hat while pressing on the pedal with
      the hi-hat closed, you can then change the closed tone in
      response to the pressure you place on the pedal.
      * The VH-11 and FD-8 do not respond to pressure.

And from the TD-50 manual:

When you strike the hi-hat while pressing on the
      pedal with the hi-hat closed, you can then change the
      closed tone in response to the pressure you place on
      the pedal.
      * The VH-11, FD-9, and FD-8 do not respond to
      pressure.

This also makes me wonder if peoples' results are similar with the VH-13 compared to the VH-11? Anyone tried both the VH-11 and the VH-13 with the TD-50? It would be interesting to see a side by side comparison of the performance with both. J

• Peter Warren
      Peter Warren commented
      Editing a comment

Peter, can't you manually adjust the HH offset so the extra tight closed HH sounds are not reached when you close the HH fully? Also, In the earlier modules only the VH-12, or VH-13 were able to trigger the extra tight HH sounds, VH-11 and FD pedals did not. That is probably still the case with the TD-50. I am not suggesting that is a fix, just a possible work around. Also, what about layering a VST closed HH WAV/sample along with the Roland HH sample? .... just a thought.
      I tried that but the next closed sound really machine guns and is more open than I would like. I did layer a closed Slate CLA hi hat in my last video and that helps. The djembe rocks on the TD50! The repinique is a bit machine gunny . I used the TD50 with both those sounds for this show:
      https://youtu.be/Ph1ZekAeaU0

• Peter Warren
      Peter Warren commented
      Editing a comment

Your HH sounds pretty good on that.
      Thanks. Once you actually do a gig with the kit a lot of these details don't really matter! I like that the 50 hi hat it cuts through better than the 30.

Hey everybody! Stupid qeustion: does anyone know how to register their set with Roland? I have a TD50k but there doesn't seem to be that option on the roland site, and there's no singular serial number for the whole kit. Do I have to register each piece?

Comment

Originally posted by Stoneymonster View Post
      Hey everybody! Stupid qeustion: does anyone know how to register their set with Roland? I have a TD50k but there doesn't seem to be that option on the roland site, and there's no singular serial number for the whole kit. Do I have to register each piece?
      The TD-50K is one of the choices in the drop down, at least on the Roland US site. I just went there and checked. As far as serial nos. I didn't go that far. But the choices I saw are TD-50, TD-50K, TD-50KV, and TD-50KV with KD-A22. The individual PD-140DS, Cy-18DR, KD-A22, MDS-50K, and MDS-50KV are also listed.
      Last edited by JmanWord; 01-02-17, 10:22 PM.
      Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Powered by the TD-50 and 2ea. 2Box modules, drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Thank you for setting this group up Jman.

Comment

Hi saw TD-50K also, I can't register mine cause you only can do it in the us site. About the TD-50 .... I read all the comments before I received it, and I was a bit worried of quite everyone ideas and the lack of owners on YouTube explaining their experiences . Finally I got it last week and when i turned the power on i realized how awesome everything was! It is not a toy, not so simple as the others TD's , it's just great . I had the TD-10 for 20 years , on the last month a friend let me tried the TD-15 . I'm really happy with it and can't wait to use it live . The module come with the settings of the K , we just have to set it right . The sounds must be edited to satisfy your ears . Till now I don't like 2 things :

1 The plastic parts on the rack to mount the module ( I will change it to DW ones) .

2 The fact that we can't adjust the brightness of the leds on the module , I found it to bright in low light rooms.

That's just my opinion for now .
          E Kit:TD-50 KV 5 pieces , SPD SX, TD-10 .
          A Kit: DW Exotic Colectors , Pearl MMX , PDP , Zildjian , Remo .

Comment

Thanks for creating this thread as this allows for a bit more focus on tweaking the module. I was pleased with the hi-hats sounds from Peter's last video. Looking forward to more videos and info in this thread.

Btw, I am not an owner yet as I am awaiting for my KV to arrive in January.
            Cheers,

Roland TD-50KV / Dynacord Powermate 600 Mixer / GoPro / Macbook Pro + SD 2.0

Comment

Originally posted by PietjePuk100 View Post
              Looking forward to more videos and info in this thread.
              there was others video

Regards
              Chris K

DW Collector Drum, Roland TD-15\VST Powered, Spd-SX, Yamaha Pmc1 midi brain

Comment

Appreciated, thanks
                Cheers,

Roland TD-50KV / Dynacord Powermate 600 Mixer / GoPro / Macbook Pro + SD 2.0

Comment

Thanks for making this thread for TD-50 owners. I own the TD-50K and even though I am a bit disappointed with the stock sounds (especially the snares) I will try tweaking the sounds till I find something I really like...

Comment

Originally posted by Stoneymonster View Post
                    When I originally got my TDKV30 a few years ago it allowed my to register it as a kit,but when I got the digital upgrade pack last month it was a bit more confusing and I think the serial numbers for the snare and ride had to be entered separately. The really odd thing was it didn't accept the serial number for the TD50 module itself but when I put in the serial number for the DP upgrade it let me pick from either the TD50k, TD50KV or TD50.

Comment

Glad this thread was made. The main thread just seemed to be a bunch of negativity and its nice to have a thread for owners to discuss things and share things about the module together. Since I never had a TD-30 and this is my First ever Roland Drum kit I'm blown away personally. My only other experience with a electronic kit was a 800 Alesis one which felt like a toy in comparison. Before that I had a very good acoustic set but had to sell it due to not being able to spend much time playing because of neighbours and people in the house.
                      I absolutely love my TD-50. Sure it has some issues... but the actual feel of playing it is one of the most important things for me and it feels amazing to play. The sounds are important to me but the feel is equally as important. From a sound perspective I really like kit number 7 the most, BubingaBoom. I used that as a starting point and customised it until I had it exactly as I wanted it to sound and its by far my favourite sounding kit. My main annoyance so far is the fact I cant record full songs onto the SD Card which is crazy. When recording along to drumless tracks the drums either don't record at all or stop half way through the song.

Comment

Originally posted by Matson123 View Post
                        Glad this thread was made. The main thread just seemed to be a bunch of negativity and its nice to have a thread for owners to discuss things and share things about the module together. Since I never had a TD-30 and this is my First ever Roland Drum kit I'm blown away personally. My only other experience with a electronic kit was a 800 Alesis one which felt like a toy in comparison. Before that I had a very good acoustic set but had to sell it due to not being able to spend much time playing because of neighbours and people in the house.
                        I absolutely love my TD-50. Sure it has some issues... but the actual feel of playing it is one of the most important things for me and it feels amazing to play. The sounds are important to me but the feel is equally as important. From a sound perspective I really like kit number 7 the most, BubingaBoom. I used that as a starting point and customised it until I had it exactly as I wanted it to sound and its by far my favourite sounding kit. My main annoyance so far is the fact I cant record full songs onto the SD Card which is crazy. When recording along to drumless tracks the drums either don't record at all or stop half way through the song.
                        I remember when I went from the TD12 to the TD 30 I was blown away so that experience if fun to have. As for going from TD30 to 50 its not quite that experience but from a playability standpoint I love the whole feel of the 50 better. Its like it transforms the whole kit and not just the snare and ride. They latency difference, especially on the kick, is one of the things that makes it feel so satisfying. So yeah, I am glad for this thread as well.

Comment

I copied a few of the posts/comments about the Hi Hat performance from the orig. TD-50 Discussion thread, specifically about the transitioning and sounds of the tight hats to closed hats. The other thread tends to be clogged with comments from naysayers and non owners.

Comment

Working...
                          X