Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have yet try to record Im working alot just setting my kits I pretty well have my main kit set. Going to blow the dust off the DW's tomorrow night..
    Roland TD 50KV ish, DW Collectors series A kit

Comment

The latest update is supposed to have less machine gunning. The Roland website should tell you the difference in each update.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Warren View Post
        The latest update is supposed to have less machine gunning...
        Yes, which may explain why there seems to be more machine gunning in some of the early YouTube demos/promos than I hear in my kit (which shipped with firmware v1.04 installed, fwiw).
        TD-50KV extended kit with KD-A22 kick, DW pedals and stands. Integrated with additional Roland mesh pads and cyms, plus TD-9 'sidecar' for additional triggers and sound layering.

Comment

I wont get to play it till Monday will see if I notice a diff, I just applied the update...Perhaps I will find more sounds I can work with refined.. Out of curiosity I may pop in the local music stores check the firmware. Perhaps they are being shipped like to Canada or my Province?
          Last edited by Bobvan; 01-07-17, 01:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JmanWord View Post

So Peter, would you recommend shutting off any room ambiance channels when recording WAVs from VSTs? When I would record sounds for the 2Box I normally wouldn't record the verb in VST programs anyway, unless doing a specific artist kit like a preset kit of Phil Collins for example. But that was a totally dif. thing and not using just one or 2 samples blended. Also, when you are shooting for blending an instrument from the TD-50 with a sampled WAV are you tuning the sample in the module or in the VST before exporting? Just trying to get any tips before starting some experimenting myself.
            I have tuned them both ways but mostly in the module. The pitch and pitch bend is brilliant for matching tom layers. I was setting up kits for PA so the snares had some big room sound and the kick and tom's were fairly dry. The TD50 room and reverb sounds are quite good and give you the option to make the samples sound bigger or smaller/drier. When I did the octobans I used overhead and no room,but the Abbey road 80's drums have a lot room sound in the overheads. I am redoing my own octobans and timbales right now.

EQ,compression and mastering in the DAW is better for me because my plugins sound so good. Check out a plugin called Lurssen mastering as well. It is a smooth sounding mastering plug in that will get the samples up to the Roland sound volume which is quite loud. http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/lurssen/

I am going to work on a kit that sounds more like a real kit in a room and not just for PA. The TD50 has real room and overheads that sound nice at 0[unity] or slightly above. The room is a bit thin to be a big room sound. The built in Ambience/reverb does a good job of sounding like mid and far room mics. The cave setting is pretty good.

I think the samples have to be mono which is why it is nice to add the digital rooms in stereo. A bit of the stereo enhancer can sound great on any of the sounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobvan View Post
              To me is seems to have less instruments. Anyhoo I edited my post. Your right having more useless stuff is not any better either. Let's hope they do..

You have to admit it is a let down..
              What is a let down? I am glad they didn't put 1000 single sample fake drums in this like the Td30 with almost no editing. You will find that they can sound very different with editing. There are so many great new features:
              1. Sample import
              2. Layering of internal samples
              3. Transient designer to enhance or lower attack[makes snare and kick very punchy. Can make toms sound less machine like]
              4. REAL room and overhead samples that can be adjusted per zone of drum.
              5. 3 digital reverbs[ambience]
              6. Stereo enhancer adjustable per drum.
              7. Dual band master compressor/limiter.
              8. Snare wire type[number of strands looks like 12,20 amd 40] ,tightness and level . Makes an huge difference compared to other modules for snare sounds especially combined with double layering internal snares.

Comment

Its cool man im starting to get it. Even prior to applying the update I was having some pretty good snare work happening earlier. Havent touch layering plan on using it to give my "Simmons" patches some added punch.. Im really looking forward to getting the studio samples from my bro. Perhaps we can start sharing samples like they do with kit patches..
                Last edited by Bobvan; 01-07-17, 02:15 AM.

Comment

I have bought some single shot drum samples to blend with my TD-50 sounds, but when trying to import them, my TD-50 says "Unsopported format"...
                  But they are all 24 bit, 44,1 freq. wav files, so they ought to work... Has anyone else run into this problem?

Comment

Originally posted by CobaltSky View Post

Same here, fwiw.

However I confess I doubt that the limitation is as has been indicated, or, if it is, that it is anything other than a bug in firmware v1.04. Matson123's quoted email from the store said "maximum playback on the TD-50 is 3 minutes" - note the reference to playback, not recording. I doubt that a store sales clerk is any sort of authority, and I would wait for information from Roland or a Roland spokesperson before going into a spin about something that may prove to be a misunderstanding or a temporary glitch...
                    I would certainly say it seems about correct. Drumming only records for me from between 2:30 secs to 3 minutes then it cuts off. Sometimes it wipes the whole drumtrack so all your left with is the back track and no drumming. Very disappointing really. I do trust what the store clerk says as hes the main drum department guy and specifically Roland drums salesman at the store and I'm sure has his contacts with roland.
                    From my own experience any song over 3 minutes cuts off or just deletes the whole drum recording. They really should have put recording at 10 minutes at the least as it would be a shame to have to mess around with a laptop and recording software for something that should be so simple on a flagship module. For me being able to just jump on...record straight onto a SD card then listen back on my surround system is something I love so you can imagine my disappointment after recording about 10 songs to hear the majority of them didn't record properly lol.
                    Last edited by Matson123; 01-07-17, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris K View Post

Weird indeed, anyway try again recording, btw this feature came from roland td15\11 exports as audio files and smf midi files.
                      I have 1.04 and recording is broken.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoneymonster View Post

I have 1.04 and recording is broken.
                        The explanation I got previously from Roland the recording is sampling based, I checked the manual, the max size importing wav sample is 3min. Since you can use the recording as sampling and use them as users sample by edit them start\end cut, it look like both are the same, you can trigs your "recording" and set them as users samples, 3min look logical as max size. For instance record a loop performance and use it as users sample, cuts the start and end in TD-50 wav editing function, then use it as users sample, then assign it to a zone.
                        Last edited by Chris K; 01-07-17, 11:57 AM.
                        Regards
                        Chris K

DW Collector Drum, Roland TD-15\VST Powered, Spd-SX, Yamaha Pmc1 midi brain

Comment

JS from Tom Lee where I bought the TD50DP just called back and said they were not able to find out about free sampled snares. I got him to check their Module and it had version 1.04 he thought it was odd since they had gotten it prior to my order..

Comment

Originally posted by klausagerbo View Post
                            I have bought some single shot drum samples to blend with my TD-50 sounds, but when trying to import them, my TD-50 says "Unsopported format"...
                            But they are all 24 bit, 44,1 freq. wav files, so they ought to work... Has anyone else run into this problem?
                            I have had this problem and used Switch sound file converter to fix it. I am converting them to 16 bit to save memory but it should support 24 bit. It doesn't make sense to me why this fixes the problem because I even had to do it to my own 16 bit 44.1 samples.
                            http://www.nch.com.au/switch/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris K View Post

The explanation I got previously from Roland the recording is sampling based, I checked the manual, the max size importing wav sample is 3min. Since you can use the recording as sampling and use them as users sample by edit them start\end cut, it look like both are the same, you can trigs your "recording" and set them as users samples, 3min look logical as max size. For instance record a loop performance and use it as users sample, cuts the start and end in TD-50 wav editing function, then use it as users sample, then assign it to a zone.
                              Possible, but there's no reason a longer performance, not for sampling can't be sent to SD. And it doesn't answer the question of why most of the time you go over the limit, it dumps whatever performance data it does have. Oh well, I have a computer.

Comment

Originally posted by JmanWord View Post

For me, this wouldn't really make much difference. I have recorded performances from modules for many years and have always run my recordings to an external recorder. Most modules I used didn't even have internal recording capabilities. And you can send MIDI as well as the module audio to record if desired. But I can see being able to record 2 or 3 minutes worth of performance inside the module as an advantage in the very least for live performance/sound checking. This way you can at least record a short performance and play it back while you listen back from an audience perspective.
                                Yesterday, my initial reaction appeared to be a shot from the hip. After having thought this thru I came to exactly your conclusion. So my next question to any of you using such a device: What are you using? I told yesterday that am not in band and just play & practice in my attic for now and today I came across the Focusrite devices. I believe the 2i4 has MIDI in & MIDI out (although I haven't got a clue yet what the benefit of that would be). So in this situation would a focusrite 2i2 or 2i4 be good device?

Cheers
                                Cheers,

Roland TD-50KV / Dynacord Powermate 600 Mixer / GoPro Hero 4 / Macbook Pro + SD 2.0

Comment

Working...
                                X