Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just wanted to share a little tip for the third - and I expect mostly unused - USB port on the module. It can be used for powering/charging e.g. a smart phone, which I find very useful. Whether you risk frying your TD-50 I don't know, so I take no responsibility if you try it, but it does work
    Roland TD-50/TD-30/SPD-SX - PD-140DS, BT-1, PD-85, 3xPD-105, 3xPD-125, KD-120, KD-7. Cymbals: CY-18DR, 2x CY-14C, 2x CY-15R, 2xCY-12C, CY-13R, 2xCY-5, 2x Yamaha PCY10, 2xTriggera D14

Comment

• This is a short mp3 clip of a slightly modified TD-50 kit with a couple of backing instruments. It isn't great, but it does show some of the potential the TD-50 has. If I were more skilled as a drummer and an engineer, I think the potential would shine through even more. Still, this may help someone looking for more information on how the TD-50 sounds in a mix. I will try to come up with another clip that shows this even more clearly.

You may want to use headphones to hear it most clearly.
      Attached Files
      . . . . . . . . . .
      V stage with TD20 and TDW-20, pd-80s, pd-7s, pd-125, vh-12, cy-12rc, dB 405 L and Yorkville LS 700p
      Core2duo in a Cube with 2 gig of RAM and 2 HDDs, Sonar Producer 6, DFHS Custom and Vintage, and RME Multiface II

"Make me an instrument of your peace..."

Comment

• Please help...
        I Added the artists kits and my 2nd Tom (of 4) is really low level on these kits. I think I saw someone talking about it here but I can't find it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drummingfool View Post
          Please help...
          I Added the artists kits and my 2nd Tom (of 4) is really low level on these kits. I think I saw someone talking about it here but I can't find it.
          Hmm, don't have the problem here but what I do is for some reason Craig Blundell programs his toms really low in the mix vs the other instruments and I think on some of Dirk Brand's kits the cymbals are low.. I didn't notice a huge difference in mixer levels but I assume it's something to do with Compression/EQ/etc. I raised the levels in the mixer section for now to bring them up.

The kits by Christophe (CC- ) and Mariusz (MM-) are my favorites.

Comment

Please help...
            I think because the td50 only ships with one rack Tom, some of the kits in the artist pack haven't got any processing on Tom 2. Kind of annoying, but fixable - just see what they did to the other toms and copy.

Comment

• Originally posted by dmbkiwi View Post
              I think because the td50 only ships with one rack Tom, some of the kits in the artist pack haven't got any processing on Tom 2. Kind of annoying, but fixable - just see what they did to the other toms and copy.
              So td50 full kit users skip the Tom 2 input for the Tom 3input? I thought they would just not use Tom 4 input.

Comment

Please help...
                If you loaded an entire backup, it likely overwrote your personal pad setup. Simply check, confirm, update and save your correct pad setup with the backup.
                Alan

Comment

• New video from Roland: showcasing the artist kits and how-to edit TD-50 sounds: https://youtu.be/lfulD6BkS-A

Comment

So td50 full kit users skip the Tom 2 input for the Tom 3input? I thought they would just not use Tom 4 input.
                    Correct. In the TD-50 manual (and subsequently for the full kit setup) Roland went with a 1-up 2-down tom placement.. effectively mimicking a high tom with two floor toms. So you use Tom 1, 3, and 4 inputs in this configuration. The manual shows you the alternate input configuration if you want the typical 2-tom 1-floor tom traditional way.

At the end of the day though, these are Roland's suggested setups.. You can use any combination of hooking up your toms the way you want - if you do your own way you might have to adjust some of the Tom instruments in the various kits since they'll be sized according to how Roland suggests them setup.
                    Last edited by Trip McNealy; 03-20-17, 07:36 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by MeTTaLLoiD View Post
                      New video from Roland: showcasing the artist kits and how-to edit TD-50 sounds: https://youtu.be/lfulD6BkS-A
                      Good video! It covers a lot of ground.
                      I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
                      Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Powered by the TD-50 and 2ea. 2Box modules, drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by JmanWord View Post

Good video! It covers a lot of ground.
                        Agreed. For those who watch it to the end, I think it begins to give a sense of the scope of the new module.

I was also pleased that they kept the "wacky stuff" - gimmicks and weird effects - to a relative minimum, and mainly focussed on bread and butter sound and sample tweaks and enhancements.

It's to be hoped that prospective buyers will find their way to this and study it before making the leap - in which case they will have a better understanding of what to expect and how to get to grips with the new module as an instrument.
                        TD-50KV extended kit with KD-A22 kick, DW pedals/stands. SPD-30 and SPD-SX. TD-30 for additional triggers & layering. Muse Receptor 2+ Pro w/ SD v2.4.4.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trip McNealy View Post

Correct. In the TD-50 manual (and subsequently for the full kit setup) Roland went with a 1-up 2-down tom placement.. effectively mimicking a high tom with two floor toms. So you use Tom 1, 3, and 4 inputs in this configuration. The manual shows you the alternate input configuration if you want the typical 2-tom 1-floor tom traditional way.

At the end of the day though, these are Roland's suggested setups.. You can use any combination of hooking up your toms the way you want - if you do your own way you might have to adjust some of the Tom instruments in the various kits since they'll be sized according to how Roland suggests them setup.
                          While they went with the physical set up as your describe, the Tom 2s are already programmed (defaulted) into all of the kits because when I did the digital pack upgrade I didn't have to add any instruments to my tom 2 (KD30vkit) pad.

Comment

• Originally posted by jtrego View Post

While they went with the physical set up as your describe, the Tom 2s are already programmed (defaulted) into all of the kits because when I did the digital pack upgrade I didn't have to add any instruments to my tom 2 (KD30vkit) pad.
                            Yes for the stock kits that shipped with the module. But for the new artist kits, some of the kits are missing any processing on Tom 2, so if you've got a 4 Tom setup, Tom 2 sounds crappy on those kits.
                            Last edited by dmbkiwi; 03-21-17, 01:04 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by dmbkiwi View Post

Yes for the stock kits that shipped with the module. But for the new artist kits, some of the kits are missing any processing on Tom 2, so if you've got a 4 Tom setup, Tom 2 sounds crappy on those kits.
                              Ok. I missed that ..havent had time to check those out yet. Too many competing projects/work ...i need a lost weekend with my td 50 lol

Comment

• Hey,

I can confirm the missing tom 2 setup and yes I really really consider that a demonstration of half hearted and badly done work. Bad job!

kr

Timm

Comment

Working...
                                X