Roland TD11K versus Yamaha DTX502

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland TD11K versus Yamaha DTX502

Hello, I'm trying to decide between the two kits in the subject. There are a couple questions that I'm having trouble getting clear answers on...
    - Photos of the Yamaha 502 module do not show any additional inputs - is there any way to add a 2'nd crash cymbal? Yamaha's website states that the kit can be upgraded with 4 additional pads/triggers, but I don't see where they would plug in?
    - The Roland TD11 specs indicate that the toms are single zone - will the module recognize a dual zone pad?
    - I've read about splitter cables to use 2 separate pads instead of 1 dual zone pad. Will either/both of these kits allow this?
    - Do either of these kits have any trouble using a double bass pedal?

There is a local music shop close by that has the 2 kits setup side by side, so I plan to spend some time comparing them. The questions above may be somewhat difficult to answer in the shop, and I'd rather have someone with first-hand experience say for certain what they can/can't do.

Any other thoughts between the 2 kits?

- Photos of the Yamaha 502 module do not show any additional inputs - is there any way to add a 2'nd crash cymbal? Yamaha's website states that the kit can be upgraded with 4 additional pads/triggers, but I don't see where they would plug in?

The Yamaha DTX502 can handle another crash. The crash 2 input is on the 2nd input of the kick. If you buy a Yamaha kit with a Yamaha kick trigger, you can plug the crash 2 to the pad input of the kick trigger. But the crash 2 will only be single zone. Bow only. No edge, bell or choke even if you use a 3 zone capable trigger like the PCY135/

- The Roland TD11 specs indicate that the toms are single zone - will the module recognize a dual zone pad?

The TD-11 module is capable of using dual zone toms. If you connect a dual zone pad like a PDX-6, PDX-8, PD-8 or any other dual zone pad it will recognize both the head and rim zones.

- I've read about splitter cables to use 2 separate pads instead of 1 dual zone pad. Will either/both of these kits allow this?

On the DTX502, the inputs for tom 1, 2, 3 & kick can be split so you can use 2 pads. On the TD-11, almost all the inputs can be split to use 2 pads. I think only the kick is single zone.

You should be able to use double bass pedals with both kits, but check the pedals first as not all pedals are made or designed the same. You may come across the odd double pedal that will not fit the Roland KD-9 that usually comes with the TD-11 or the Yamaha KP65 that usually comes with the DTX-502 module kits
    Yamaha DTXtreme III Special Kit

Comment

Originally posted by sch5034 View Post
      Hi,
      When adding a 2-zone pad to TD-11, just don't forget to change the pad type. Happens to me all the time. I almost disassembled the CY-15 before figuring out that I should first change the pad type to a 3-zone cymbal.
      For double bass you can use a single pad (I.e. KT-9) and a dual pedal, or you can serially add KT-10, which has both in and out connectors. Or, of course, you can simply plug another pedal into an empty slot in the module. There is a set in TD-11 which uses a hi-hat pedal for the second bass, so there's that option (reusing an existing pedal), too.

Please do post any direct comparisons for the rest of us. And have fun!
      TD-11 + TD-4 with a few pads and cymbals.
      https://www.vdrums.com/forum/perform...44011-my-kit-s
      https://sites.google.com/view/open-source-drum-module

Comment

So, it sounds like the Yamaha does not really have any extra inputs, the 4 they claim are just splitting dual zone inputs to two single zones. With the Roland, there is one extra input, and anything beyond that would also be with a splitter cable. Bummer.

Comment

Welcome to the club!

Comment

So, I had a chance to play the two kits side by side today. Couple of things became clear very quickly:
            1. I much prefer the Roland mesh snare to the Yamaha silicone - the Roland felt crisp and responsive, while the Yamaha felt mushy and dead - couldn't get a good response from it.
            2. The Yamaha rubber kick pad is LOUD!!! The Roland pad is mesh, and much quieter.
            3. Roland cymbals seemed to trigger the edge versus bow much more accurately. On the Yamaha kit, I had a hard time getting the bell/bow/edge to sound consistently. The Yamaha ride cymbal is a bigger size, and is 3 zones (compared to 2 on the Roland) - felt more like playing on a real cymbal (except for when it wasn't triggering the right sound!). I also liked how the Yamaha cymbals look more like real cymbals as opposed to the Roland's that have that wedge shape area.
            4. The kit sounds in the Yamaha were mostly way over-processed and gimmicky - there were maybe 3 or 4 kits that I could see myself ever using. The Roland module had more kits that were realistic sounding. (I'll be using EZ Drummer or some other VST most of the time, so the on-board sounds aren't as important to me)
            5. I tried for a while, then had the sales guy try for a while, and neither of us could figure out how to assign a different sound to the rim of the dual zone snare on the Yamaha. The guy said that he knows it can be done, but we couldn't get it to work. In the Roland module, this was fairly straightforward.
            6. My comment in post #4 is correct: to add any pads/cymbals to the Yamaha kit, you are splitting a dual zone input into 2 single zone pads. The Roland does have 1 extra input.

and then here's the real dealmaker... the guy offered to sell me the Roland kit for $799! I'll be picking up the Roland kit next week.

Comment

My understanding about using splitters is that you can't trigger both sounds at the same time. So if you split a tom so that the rim goes to a crash and you hit the head of the tom and the crash at the same time, one will win.
              TD30 | PD-128S, PD-128, (2) PD-108, PD-120 | KD-120 | (2) CY15R, (2) CY14C, CY13R, CY12C, VH11 | MDS-25 rack | DW3000 double bass pedal | DW3000 HH stand | roc-n-soc nitro throne | Audio Technica ATH-M40x

Comment

1. I much prefer the Roland mesh snare to the Yamaha silicone - the Roland felt crisp and responsive, while the Yamaha felt mushy and dead - couldn't get a good response from it.

3. Roland cymbals seemed to trigger the edge versus bow much more accurately. On the Yamaha kit, I had a hard time getting the bell/bow/edge to sound consistently. The Yamaha ride cymbal is a bigger size, and is 3 zones (compared to 2 on the Roland) - felt more like playing on a real cymbal (except for when it wasn't triggering the right sound!). I also liked how the Yamaha cymbals look more like real cymbals as opposed to the Roland's that have that wedge shape area.
                That's a decent summary and aligns with what others are saying.
                The good news is that you can add a 3-zone ride later. Also, you can always get Yamaha cymbals and use them just like Roland's, with 2 zones out-of-the-box. Yes, they have a really good feel to them.
                Congratulations!

Comment

Originally posted by alensiljak View Post
                  Also, you can always get Yamaha cymbals and use them just like Roland's, with 2 zones out-of-the-box.
                  For the protocol: No, you can't - it will need mod.
                  The edge is the one with the resistor on the PCYs so you must swap the ribbon connectors to get edge, which is impossible with the current 1x5 PCY version as far as I am aware due to length restrictions and connector placement on the pcb.
                  Also the piezo is wired the opposite to Roland with tip going to center which needs swapping too ... not hard to mod but not out of the box as well..
                  Roland TD-15
                  TAMA MetroJam2 TRB A2E

Comment

Originally posted by pumpal View Post
                    For the protocol: No, you can't - it will need mod.
                    Perhaps you are right. All I can say is that I have a TD-11 and have plugged two PCY-135 straight from the box. Everything works perfectly.
                    You can see the setup in my signature.

Comment

Originally posted by Desmond View Post
                      My understanding about using splitters is that you can't trigger both sounds at the same time. So if you split a tom so that the rim goes to a crash and you hit the head of the tom and the crash at the same time, one will win.
                      I had seen the same info in a YouTube video about "Drumsplitters" cables. I'm thinking that so long as I don't try to combine some combination of pads I'm likely to play at the same time, I should be fine. Splitting a tom with a crash cymbal seems like a fairly safe bet. The one thing I've heard conflicting information on is the choke function on a crash that is 'sharing' an input with another pad... some say it will still work, some say the choke doesn't work. Anyone have firsthand experience with this?

Comment

The good news is that you can add a 3-zone ride later.
                        I did notice that the TD11 had an extra cable hanging by the 2 zone ride, which I'm guessing is for a 3 zone cymbal? Would that cable only work for the second jack on a 3 zone cymbal, or could it be used for a separate pad?

Comment

Only works for 3rd zone not for separate pad.
                          "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

Anyone have firsthand experience with this?
                            I'm sorry that I can't help you with that but I just wanted to mention an alternative. I did have three splitter cables but I used them for about two days only. They work as advertised and all that. But, for whatever reason, I did not like the feeling.
                            Then I found an Alesis DM5, and later Roland TD-3, and am now using two modules connected via mixer.
                            It turned out that the price of TD-3 was 10 Euros higher than the three cables with postage, too. Now I have my rims back and plenty more inputs. Unfortunately, they are all full already.

Comment

Perhaps you are right. All I can say is that I have a TD-11 and have plugged two PCY-135 straight from the box. Everything works perfectly.
                              You can see the setup in my signature.
                              And edge triggers fine and a bell hit does not trigger an edge sound? I will be surprised, but if that is the case, then I am wrong and the 10k resistor is wired to the bell switch. Pretty sure it wasn't the case with the 150S I modded some time ago..

Roland TD-15
                              TAMA MetroJam2 TRB A2E

Comment

Working...
                              X