Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bass pedal clamp too shallow to clamp onto my KD-9 kick pad, looking for suggestions.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass pedal clamp too shallow to clamp onto my KD-9 kick pad, looking for suggestions.

I have an old Dixon 611 pedal that I have been using with my cheap Alesis kit for a few years. I just got Roland TD-11KV's and the clamp on my pedal doesn't even reach over the bump on the KD-9 kick pad and if I try to tighten it then the clamp just slips off. The shark teeth type design also doesn't even seem like the right kind of clamp for that kind of mount. I decided since the pedal is old anyway I would like to fix the problem by replacing it with a pedal that has a compatible clamp. Problem is, I have no idea what other pedals out there would have a clamp that might work with this kick pad and my city isn't very big on music stores for me to just shop around for one.

If anyone has some experience with the KD-9 I'd like some suggestions of pedals that would be compatible with the mounting bump so that I can order one without worrying that it won't work when it arrives. My preferred price range is under $100 but any suggestions are appreciated. If I'm totally wrong on this and I'm just doing it wrong I'd like to know that too. But it seems like there is no room for any adjustment with my pedal's clamp. I've included a couple pictures for context.
    The clamp barely reaches the bump at all and if I tighten it, it just slips off. Closer view.
    Last edited by Nofxthepirate; 12-11-16, 06:57 PM.

Here's what my DW3000 pedal looks like on the KD9 -- it's never slipped. Mine's a double pedal, but I imagine a single uses the same hardware at the base. I really like this pedal. The single sells for about $129 new. I'm guessing you could score a used one for under $100 on eBay. Hope that helps.
    Attached Files
    TD30 | PD-128S, PD-128, (2) PD-108, PD-120 | KD-120 | (2) CY15R, (2) CY14C, CY13R, CY12C, VH11 | MDS-25 rack | DW3000 double bass pedal | DW3000 HH stand | roc-n-soc nitro throne | Audio Technica ATH-M40x

Comment

Seems like my issue is that my clamp has 3 big teeth instead of a bunch of small ones, the point where it rests on the mount is on one of the rounded teeth and it cant quite reach far enough so it just slips off. Since you have actual experience with the DW3000, I think I will go ahead and get one of those. I can justify the extra cost for a good brand. Thanks for your help!

Comment

looks like the 1st 'tooth' of your pedal clamp just barely grips on the rim of kick plate.. since your pedal is old..
        i would saw or file down the 1st tooth (both sides) of the pedal clamp.. until they are 'flat' ..
        i'm pretty sure you'll have better grip then.. maybe you're not in for this solution ..that's personal..
        but you don't want to know how many times i used saw and drill on my drumkit(s) .. lol

Comment

Add a strip of wood or something with the right thickness onto the thin 'lip' before where the plate has the bulge.
          MegaDrum module, DIY A2E pads, DIY hall effect 3 zone hi hat, DIY 1, 2 & 3 zone cymbals, DIY kick beater triggers, DIY triple driver IEMs, El Cheapo buttkicker. Addictive Drums 1.5.7 running in a tweaked Linux Mint. kit pics thread

Comment

that could be an even better solution .. cheers..

Comment

Hi,

I've never had any trouble with my Pearl Demonator and the KD-9. The Pedal comes with additional rubber pads to protect the rim (as far as I remember) The Pedal itself is the Pearl entry-level product and I'm satisfied with it. http://www.pearleurope.com/ProductDe...?ProductId=210

The single pedal costs 79 in Germany, so it might be in your price range. Pearl P-930.
              Last edited by Oli; 12-12-16, 09:58 AM.
              TD-25/KD-120/PD-125/PD-85/(2x)PDX-100
              VH-11/CY-12C/CY-14C/CY-13R/CY-15R
              Pearl Demonator/Beyerdynamic DT 770m
              Drum-Tec Throne/Vic Firth 5AN American Classic

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. I considered filing down the teeth on the pedal or trying to find some other solution but in the end, that pedal was many years old and it didn't even have a full base plate on it (was just a thin metal strip down the middle). It was time for an upgrade either way. I looked at the Pearl Demonator, that looks like a great pedal, but I think I will still go for the DW3000. I'm not sure how much of a difference it actually makes, but I really like having the heel rest and dual post design. (I had also already ordered it, cause I'm impatient and I already had to wait a couple weeks for my TD-11KV)
                Last edited by Nofxthepirate; 12-13-16, 02:52 AM.

Comment

I use a DW3000 pedal and remember having some problems getting it to clamp on to the KD9. It was all in positioning the clamp and tightening down the pedal more than finger tight. The front of pedal did not fully rest on the ground level for a long time but caused no issues. Something is just not quite made right on the KD9.
                  I now have a KD120 with no problems at all.
                  Good luck.
                  "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

????????, TD9 side module, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

Thanks for the heads up, as long as it works in the end, I'll still be happy. I noticed that the mounting plate seems to be removable, it would be nice if Roland just included (or even offered separately) a couple different mounting plates in case your pedal didn't quite fit right.
                    Last edited by Nofxthepirate; 12-13-16, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Hey guys,

watch this on YouTube. Seems to me that the compatibility of DW pedals and Roland KDs isn't good.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=btrEI7-1Hg4

By the way, this guy is amazing. Some really smart videos and input for the community!
                      Last edited by Oli; 12-16-16, 12:10 PM.
                      TD-25/KD-120/PD-125/PD-85/(2x)PDX-100
                      VH-11/CY-12C/CY-14C/CY-13R/CY-15R
                      Pearl Demonator/Beyerdynamic DT 770m
                      Drum-Tec Throne/Vic Firth 5AN American Classic

Comment

Remove two screws on each side of KD9. Turn plate around so bump is further back now, instead of in front. Only two screws can be used to tighten plate ( but screw other two into base so you don't lose them). Worked well for my Mapex Armory double pedal.

Comment

Working...
                        X