Worn out Roland cymbals

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worn out Roland cymbals

I've got a trio of the hard pad type, PD-7 cymbals from an old Roland TD-8 set (which I occasionally gig with) that are worn out, dead at this point. Wondering if I should just throw them out, attempt a repair, or try to sell them and the stands. Sort of the same with the CY-14,12, 15 cymbals from my TD-10 set (which I use for gigs with brass cymbals). They hardly produce any sound now and I can't afford to replace them with new. Any comments ?

The CY14 and 15's might be worth repairing. That is rare for them to not work. Have you checked cables and every other option?

Comment

How do cymbals "wear out"...arent they just triggers that either work or don't work

Comment

Send them to me.
        There's a lot of us DIY'ers out there so put em up on eBay and give us a chance to fix them up. Make a few bucks. Probably an easy fix at that.
        TD-9_stealth Yamaha, HPD-15, HPD-10, Octapad etc.

Comment

if you are going to throw them out i will pay for shipping to me.
          Roland TD 20 bk, TD 20X, VH13, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Kit Toys, Gibraltar rack, Roland KC 500,
          Audio Technica ADH50X, BBE Sonic Maximizer

Comment

Was hoping someone might have info about repairing them. There are no problems with cables or connections. They simply produce very little sound. When struck some areas make no sound at all. Strike a different area and they make faint sounds. Don't know if the piezo triggers are shot and could be replaced.

Comment

there used to be something about cleaning the insides under the rubber cover (rim), maybe there's rubber particles inside.. i'd try a search on clean/repair..
              https://www.vdrums.com/forum/general...gering-choking
              Last edited by Ericdrumz; 12-10-16, 05:38 AM.

Comment

I had a CY-5 cymbal pad that became very sporadic with triggering and replaced it down with line with a VH-11. Only very recently have I taken it apart and found that just one of the solder joints on the piezo had come apart. Might be a good idea to open one up and have a look at the piezo, as long as you're comfortable doing so.

Also, the rubber rim idea above is another good place to start!

Comment

^^ +1

Connect a pad that works normally on it's channel to the cymbal cable - what happens ? If it triggers normally, then it is inside the cymbal - bad solder point on the piezo as Pulsc said or can be a bad/broken contact inside the jack also. In anyway, it should be completely repairable, as long as it is not inside the module.
                  Last edited by pumpal; 12-11-16, 07:48 AM.
                  Roland TD-15
                  TAMA MetroJam2 TRB A2E

Comment

Hey guys!

Visit the V-Drum-Tips website and his YouTube channel.

http://www.v-drumtips.com/
                    TD-25/KD-120/PD-125/PD-85/(2)PDX-100
                    VH-11/(2)CY-12/CY-13R/CY-12RC
                    Pearl Demonator/Pearl Hardware
                    Beyerdynamic DT 770m/Drum-Tec Throne

Comment

Working...
                    X