Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still reading and trying to get the idea. So far, a lot of money for a proprietary kit with limited sample features.

Comment

Just wondering what the advantage of the USB-snare etc. shall be. Perhaps somebody knows more about it?

I.e. in its simplest implementation USB just replaces the "analog piezo and analog cable providing analog signals by Analog-to-Digital-Conversion at the snare itself and sends "the 'same' " output signal, only as digital data (one-directional data transfer, from snare to sound module).

BECAUSE some ADC-electronics is needed directly at the snare, the snares electronics may also do the triggering; this would allow, and may be even need, bi-directional communication between sound module (sending commands, receiving hit-data) and the snare (or every other pad-device).

Anything known about how they use it, and what advantages or disadvantages may be from USB?

Thanks, Michael
      td-30 user ;-)

Comment

First, like many of you, I started with VDrums back when the TD7 came out. I've owned & upgraded to each new model since the TD10 and I LOVE Roland to death. I currently use the 30 coupled together with the 25 with the latest pads Roland has made to this point, simply because one module no longer satisfies my need for big/fat/rich sounds. I'm sure I will upgrade to the 50, someday. But this one has me excited and a bit disappointed. I want REAL drum sounds. But I want them internally prebuilt. I want simple plug & play....I'm not an engineer; I'm a drummer. I want Roland's low latency, and I don't want to use a PC. I don't want to download/upload. For me, my next purchase is focused on the Pearl Mimic. LOVE the sounds I've heard so far...REAL, sweet drums!! Hallelujah!! I intend to layer it with my 30 and replace my 25 module with Mimic, simply because I feel Roland's cymbal technology still sounds/seems better.
        Would appreciate any of your comments on this Mimic/TD30 route as you guys are my go-to experts. Thanks!!
        eDrums: Roland TD30 & TM2, Various Roland pads: Korg Wavedrum, DW hardware, Boss DR670. Acoustics: DW 5-piece Performance kit, DW Black Nickel/Brass snare, Zildjian A&K's cymbals, Gibraltar rack, Ludwig 5-piece Classic Maples (circa 1970s).

Comment

Originally posted by Slim View Post
          FYI: TD-50 - Two .WAV files per trigger zone can be imported (so 4 in total for the snare) with adjustable crossfade. According to Roland V-Drums on facebook. Better than one WAV file I guess. I would like to hear a 2 x WAV file plus internal sound mix to be honest.
          This sounds so, so exciting, really...

Comment

I still stick to my Rebel 2Box ... no matter what the Imperial Army creates as new weapon However, it is cool to see Roland moves into more sampling.

Comment

Bummer that the digital ports disable the associated analog ports. With three it makes me wonder if we will see another digital trigger that wasn't quite ready for release? A HH maybe?

Comment

I am exited about this. I watched the streaming release and wasn't impressed however since watching the other videos I have changed my mind. I like the idea of more adjustments to the sounds and the addition of samples. I was already happy with my TD-30 so this just seems to expand on it. Best news for me seems to be I can replace my module and later add the digital snare and ride cymbal. So I don't have to sell my whole kit that I already like. I'm sure there are plenty of people who want to upgrade their module to a TD-30 so my module should be an easy sell.

TD-30KV, or TD-4KP, JBL PRX 615M's

Comment

Originally posted by ug65 View Post
                  Bummer that the digital ports disable the associated analog ports. With three it makes me wonder if we will see another digital trigger that wasn't quite ready for release? A HH maybe?
                  Nope, I bet it just "allows" you to invest in an additional CY-18RDsxsxx..
                  Roland TD-30/TD-6/SPD-SX - BT-1, PD-85, 3xPD-105, 3xPD-125, KD-120, KD-7. Cymbals: 2x CY-14C, 2x CY-15R, 2xCY-12C, CY-13R, 2xCY-5, 2x Yamaha PCY10, Triggera D14, 14 inch DIY snare

Comment

Originally posted by qcaze View Post

Nope, I bet it just "allows" you to invest in an additional CY-18RDsxsxx..
                    Perhaps

Comment

Well not that my opinion ,alters to others but I was impressed. I will see if I can unload my td30 and definitely plan on picking up the td50 with the new snare and ride. Also hope they come up with a 20" kick drum trigger.

Comment

Originally posted by biggles View Post
                        I am exited about this. I watched the streaming release and wasn't impressed however since watching the other videos I have changed my mind. I like the idea of more adjustments to the sounds and the addition of samples. I was already happy with my TD-30 so this just seems to expand on it. Best news for me seems to be I can replace my module and later add the digital snare and ride cymbal. So I don't have to sell my whole kit that I already like. I'm sure there are plenty of people who want to upgrade their module to a TD-30 so my module should be an easy sell.
                        Yeah sounds like the marketing speech sorry...

So about the user samples import, if it's only 2 samples per pad zone with a switch or cross-fade, it basically means there will be no real way to actually add your own acoustic samples to it, because it would be about as poor in expression as a Mellotron... It will be perfect for electronic bleeps and beeps, but that just won't do at all for adding more acoustic sounds. For that the user will have to rely on Roland or third party to design new sounds...

One thing is certain though, listening to Kraftmusic demos, it's stunning how Roland followed the trend in acoustic kit recording. Take all the recent jazz albums released recently worldwide, listen to how drums are recorded, Roland just followed that trend with mics blending multiple positions over and under the snare for instance, an accent on the rich grainy characteristics of the strainer. It's nice in a way, but it's rather very far from how an acoustic kit sounds when you' next to it. It's seems to be overproduced once more. Very useful in the production, let's just hope there's the primary material for more acoustic sounding on board before the recording techniques tricks...

Comment

Originally posted by Rhappy-dude View Post

It will be perfect for electronic bleeps and beeps.
                          Can someone please shoot the idiot at Roland who keeps putting these stupid sounds into a pro level kit? If someone needs this crap, they can add a TD-3 or whatever to their kit. Until Roland wakes up and focuses on samples (of my choosing) I can load in, they won't get another cent of my money. They are so out of touch with reality in both guitar and drums that it would take little to completely move their cheese and eliminate them from the marketplace.

I'm a bit struck by this forum trying to justify this hogwash and glossing over what an inferior product Roland has offered since the TD-12/20. Now I'll head back to my time out room and trigger Toontrack samples on my Mac.

Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute | TD-20+TDW-20 | CY-14c X 2 | CY-15r | VH-11 | VEX | Superior 2+SDXs | Line 6 UX-8 | Mac Mini

Comment

the td50 does sound a bit better than the td30 and will continue to research the videos,, BUT, as of yet, it is not blowing me away! will see when the experts get one in their hands. apples to oranges, question though, does the new ride also have a 1/4" analog plug of is it just USB? the kick conversion trigger is a nice idea and may be nice to convert an A kick.
                            Pearl Mimic pro on pre order Roland TD 20 bk, Gibraltar rack, VH13, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Kit Toys, Roland KC 500,
                            Audio Technica ADH50X, BBE Sonic Maximizer

Comment

I don't know why everyone is complaining about the price. It is just a touch higher than the TD-30 was a few weeks ago, before the price drop (at least in the US).

I think all the speculation on features and value is worthless until a few of us (who are actually objective and not star-stuck, snobbish or financially-motivated) can get hold of one and actually play it for a substantial amount of time. It might suck. It might be awesome. I like Roland and tend to think that they are probably putting out a very good product.

I just wish they would offer a TD-30 upgrade package of TD-50 module, ride and snare for a discount to current TD-30 (and TD-20 users). This would be a nice show of class and appreciation from the company to the people who pay to keep it developing new musical tools. The new technology might be clunky, but it is addressing some issues that we all have complained about, namely the ability to add user samples and the hotspot on the snare. ( TD-30 hotspot on snare is easily addressed for those who missed it...) Peace and love.
                              TD-30 w/ 2 KT10, PD125BK, 3 PDX100, VH11, 3 CY12C, CY13R, CY15R, 3 CY14C

Comment

After trying to remain open minded and giving it a second look,watching all the videos and soaking everything in, I am still underwhelmed and I guess I just expected next level Tech with VST sounds from Roland at this point, as thats where the market is headed in this date and age... The Mimic Pro is next level.. This to me.. is yet again a newer improved version of old Tech synthetic sounds with some nicer features on the module for sure that should have been there long agao, but just seems at this point more of the same just newer improved like updates, not something totally new. I really want to like it but they just didnt utilize todays technology thats available for a flagship module. I just think I expected more from the "once leader" of the Edrums industry.
                                Roland TD-12 Ludwig A2E 5pc kit, VH-11
                                Studio Drummer, Abbey Road 60's 70's 80's, AD2, SSD4, EZD2
                                Komplete Audio 6, JBL Eon 515XT, Yamaha MG06, DAW Studio One 3

Comment

Working...
                                X