This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi!

I like the Roland's approach with the digital pads and where they have implemented a processor in the device. This is a big step forward in a world where everything soon are going to be digital.

I don't believe that such a function would be more fragile. I would say it is rather smart to implement it in that way to create more control and get more trigger functions, but still be able to control and repackage Roland's IP in the cymbal/pad.

Yes, it is properity system...but I really wonder how advanced it really is. They will control all triggering and send it over the data bus, but but I do believe the logics is handled in the TD-50. I would be impressed if the td-50 really could tell the chip in the pad to be more sensitive or trigger in another certain way etc. (If so ... It can't be too hard to check what's going on that data bus. )

In my opinion...The TD-50 will be a hybrid between the Roland past and the next future generation modules where every pad will be digital.

Anyway...it was a nice launch!

Best Regards

Anders Gronlund / Zourman.com
    Sonor Force Stage 2007 and Sonor Safari, Roland CY8, CY15R, RT-10S&K, 2xBT-1, VH-11,-12,-13, KD-10, Quartz Triggers, Pintech Dingbat, Triggera 2x D14, D11, LectricMoo, 120MHz MegaDRUM with PS board, TD-6V, 2Box 1.3.3, Addictive Drums 2.1.6, All ADpaks, Win10 on Microsoft Surface PRO 4, Macbook, Pearl Throne Thumper, Zourman HH Conv Kit. www.zourman.com

Comment

Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post

I must be missing where she's having a problem? I didn't see any mistriggering or missed hits, that I could tell.
      It might just be me but when I saw that video the first time it seemed to me like she was trying to trigger the bell (switch) at around 3:30 into the video, but had to go with a harder non-tip hit to trigger it.

And Chris, I'm not saying I have an issue with it as such, just that you kind of have to mean it when you want to trigger the bell and it's not a simple smooth transition between bow and bell. If they actually solved it and I misunderstood, great :-)

Also, for the record I do think TD-50 sounds better. I'm just not anywhere near blown away - and I would have to be in order to consider the upgrade. So I'm disappointed mostly because I have a serious case of GAS and since I can't justify buying it, I'm going to have to settle for the two PCY10s I'm receiving next week :-)
      Last edited by qcaze; 09-10-16, 04:12 AM.
      Roland TD-50/TD-30/SPD-SX - PD-140DS, BT-1, PD-85, 3xPD-105, 3xPD-125, KD-120, KD-7. Cymbals: CY-18DR, 2x CY-14C, 2x CY-15R, 2xCY-12C, CY-13R, 2xCY-5, 2x Yamaha PCY10, 2xTriggera D14

Comment

It definitely sounds better. I'm just not sure the snare sounds good. Maybe it's just me. The toms are a big improvement. If anyone buys the module only to replace the td 30 module, I'd be really interested to hear how it performs. Just gone on sale here in the UK for 6600!!! My own opinion is that the difference from 30 to 50 simply does not justify that kind of price. It is another step forward but maybe not the leap that I for one was hoping for. Saying that though, it is early days. As more vids and demo's come out, we will hopefully see the full glory....or maybe not.

Comment

Toms definately improved. Hihat sounds very nice in Kai Hahto videos. Ride seems to be nice too and I don't find the bell be unresponsive. But what is wrong with the snare? More machine gunning and somehow less impressive than TD-30. This price tag, no thanks for me. Interesting to see how the module will be evolved in the future as Michael Schack mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by qcaze View Post

It might just be me but when I saw that video the first time it seemed to me like she was trying to trigger the bell (switch) at around 3:30 into the video, but had to go with a harder non-tip hit to trigger it.
            You might need to turn your volume up

TD-50 is too bulky and expensive for my needs, will be interested to see what sort of scaled-down version they come up with in the (hopefully) not too distant future. Still waiting for something mid-range but with enough inputs to provide a viable upgrade from my TD-6V.

Comment

It looks like a nice set, but there are two things I don't get:
              1: Why is it so crazy expensive?
              2: Why isn't every cymbal and tom digital? Why develop the technology and then decide to not use it on the flagship kit?

Comment

Hi

i know no ones played around with this kit yet, but for me, the number of inputs has always been too low.

now that the snare, ride and one other pad use the usb inputs on the back, this obviously (and demonstrably as per photos on Roland's site) means that the snare and two ride phono jacks on the back are not used.

my question is this:

does this his mean I have plug in another snare and re use the bell inputs for additional pads, without compromising the new usb inputs / pads / abilities?

because if so, this gives me 3 more inputs plus the standard 4 aux inputs and would help me immensely.

thanks
                Last edited by Elphaba; 09-10-16, 05:23 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

Originally posted by johnohod View Post
                  It looks like a nice set, but there are two things I don't get:
                  1: Why is it so crazy expensive?

2: Why isn't every cymbal and tom digital? Why develop the technology and then decide to not use it on the flagship kit?
                  because it's Roland recouping the r&d costs, plus it's the flagship, so the target audience has the money

thats what I want to know. I expect it's a way of testing the new hardware without compromising the whole kit, plus leaves room for td60 to have a hot button feature or more usb inputs. Built in product cycling to my mind.

Comment

Maybe we can use a USB hub..
                    Roland TD-50/TD-30/SPD-SX - PD-140DS, BT-1, PD-85, 3xPD-105, 3xPD-125, KD-120, KD-7. Cymbals: CY-18DR, 2x CY-14C, 2x CY-15R, 2xCY-12C, CY-13R, 2xCY-5, 2x Yamaha PCY10, 2xTriggera D14

Comment

Because making every input digital only removes a (relatively) cheap upgrade path for people who have sunk a lot of money into existing pads? And would be even more crazy expensive for people buying completely new (the snare alone is over 500 - maybe that comes down in future but for now frankly the option to remain non-digital is welcome). And of course we don't even have a full set of digital triggers available to purchase yet, I guess more development is required to round out the set.

Would be nice to all the old style inputs and an equal number of digital inputs, but again cost (and size) constraints get in the way.

As somebody pointed out in the other thread, maybe there is scope for multiple triggers to go via one digital input with a suitable hub/switch in between.

Edit: and qcaze, just now!

Comment

Originally posted by Elphaba View Post

because it's Roland recouping the r&d costs, plus it's the flagship, so the target audience has the money

thats what I want to know. I expect it's a way of testing the new hardware without compromising the whole kit, plus leaves room for td60 to have a hot button feature or more usb inputs. Built in product cycling to my mind.
                        If digital is better, then drop the old stuff and go all in? Make every kit from Td-11 and up digital. It looks like that is how things will be in the future. Digital technology is'nt that hard to replicate, processors and memory doesn't cost that much. Then they would get their money back from r&d, and people would probably love it. Now it looks like the Td-50 will be obsolete in 1-2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post
                          With the 50 using two of the digital INs, this leaves the original snare and two ride INs (which I believe are still there) for other things. So, if I understand correctly, you actually have extra INs now if you use the digital snare and ride. Obviously, one of the extras will be digital as well. (I think I got that right) (See video number 2 at the top)
                          On the drum-tec website they say if you use the digital in for the snare, the analog input for the snare is blocked and can not be used for other pads. So with the other digital inputs, it's either... or.

From what I've seen, heard and read at this time I must admit I'm not impressed at all. Still all sounds are too synthetical for me, not natural sounding. Especially the cymbals, but also the snare and toms. And then the price tag...

Comment

On USB expansion..

Roland states that the digital triggers use USB Connectors - not that it is actual USB protocol. I really hope it is genuine USB as the standard allows for daisychaining / connection via a USB hub for multiple units on one port.

My hopes are not high though unfortunately...

TD50KV maxed out with an extra tom, cowbell and a lot of cymbals - triggering Superior Drummer 2.3 - Zoom Tac-2 Ultra low latency Thunderbolt interface.

Comment

Personally I've owned only Roland VDrums and played them most weeks live for the last 13 years and LOVE the triggering of Roland compared to any other brand. But I've got a TD-8,TD-4,TD-25 and TM-2 at the moment and after listening to the TD-50 through studio headphones and amps my ears are hearing a very familiar signature Roland semi-synthetic sound I'm so used to. Slightly different/better for sure, but not the full/raw acoustic sound I'm personally after to upgrade my TD-25/TM-2 for live gigs.
                              Obviously I haven't played it yet so will keep an open mind, but from the specs and price comparison to the Pearl Mimic Pro I am personally drawn to the Pearl module. Maybe I'm just in need of a change of sound? Also I think a touch screen device works fine live as I've been using and swiping an iPad for years without the need for knobs but time will tell.
                              Last edited by Slim; 09-15-16, 08:37 AM.

Comment

FYI: TD-50 - Two .WAV files per trigger zone can be imported (so 4 in total for the snare) with adjustable crossfade. According to Roland V-Drums on facebook. Better than one WAV file I guess. I would like to hear a 2 x WAV file plus internal sound mix to be honest.

Comment

Working...
                                X