This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pro60 View Post

i had some success with Superior Drummer using USB out to my iMac, had to tweak the hi hat settings a bit but it worked until the hard drive failed on my iMac.
    getting that back this weekend and will be trying this again with MIDI to see how it compares.
    Ill be trying both USB and MIDI with a Macbook Pro next week. Ill reply to this thread with the results, please let me know how it goes for you
    and congrats on your new drums!
    pro60 were you able to get the hi hat fully functional with SD2? And if so can you outline the steps you took?

Comment

• Originally posted by kgraeme View Post

pro60 were you able to get the hi hat fully functional with SD2? And if so can you outline the steps you took?
      The hi hat in SD2 seems to work better on some kits than others and I'm sure that more tweaking can be done to get those dialed in,
      which i haven't figured out yet. Im sure there are others on this forum who know how to do that. Right now I wouldnt say its perfect but
      its pretty damn good. im using midi cable from the TD50 into a scarlett focusrite 2i4 - USB into a MacBook Pro and just changing 3 settings in SD2.
      This may be irrelevant to the hi hats but I'm using the combined presets and the drum sounds are fantastic.
      Some great tutorials for SD2 and many other apps here: https://www.groove3.com/?gclid=CILPg...FQx9fgodBMgD-A
      I hope this is helpful.
      SD2_03.jpg

SD2_02.jpg
      SD2_01.jpg

Last edited by pro60; 01-06-17, 09:23 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by pro60 View Post

The hi hat in SD2 seems to work better on some kits than others and I'm sure that more tweaking can be done to get those dialed in,
        which i haven't figured out yet. Im sure there are others on this forum who know how to do that. Right now I wouldnt say its perfect but
        its pretty damn good. im using midi cable from the TD50 into a scarlett focusrite 2i4 - USB into a MacBook Pro and just changing 3 settings in SD2.
        This may be irrelevant to the hi hats but I'm using the combined presets and the drum sounds are fantastic.
        Some great tutorials for SD2 and many other apps here: https://www.groove3.com/?gclid=CILPg...FQx9fgodBMgD-A
        I hope this is helpful.
        AWSOME! Great to hear that you got it going (and that your HD is fixed!)! Thanks for the screen shots and links!
        Last edited by kgraeme; 01-06-17, 04:16 PM.

Comment

• If you've not tried it already, try setting the Roland module's hi-hat trigger setting "CC MAX" to 127 when using virtual instruments. By default Roland sets it to 90, which prevents it sending a fully closed CC value, but many external instruments will expect the full range of CC values to be used. Once "CC MAX" is set to 127 in the Roland module you might not need to use the pedal correction features in Superior Drummer. If you still struggle to reach 127 without leaning very hard on the pedal, try adjusting the physical hi-hat sensor to be more closed (check the user guide for whatever hi-hat model you have).
          Setting "CC Resolution" to HIGH might also improve response.
          Of course you should be aware that if you make adjustments at the module or physical sensor so the midi output works better with virtual instruments, you may need to reverse those adjustments when you want to use the module's internal sounds again, to optimise the response again for how the Roland gear works. If you alternate frequently between internal module sounds and external virtual instrument sounds, it might be better to find a good correction method at the computer end, either within the plugin if it has such features, or using other midi modifying software. Then you can save those settings on the computer and never have to mess with the settings in the Roland module.
          Last edited by GW1000; 01-06-17, 05:52 PM.

Comment

• [QUOTE=GW1000;n1146309]If you've not tried it already, try setting the Roland module's hi-hat trigger setting "CC MAX" to 127 when using virtual instruments. By default Roland sets it to 90, which prevents it sending a fully closed CC value, but many external instruments will expect the full range of CC values to be used. Once "CC MAX" is set to 127 in the Roland module you might not need to use the pedal correction features in Superior Drummer. If you still struggle to reach 127 without leaning very hard on the pedal, try adjusting the physical hi-hat sensor to be more closed (check the user guide for whatever hi-hat model you have).
            Setting "CC Resolution" to HIGH might also improve response.

Thanks, where exactly are those setting in the module?

Comment

• I've had similar issues with the vh13 on the td30 mapping to superior drummer. In SD2 I was able to remedy this pretty well by choosing a (more closed) preset from the midi mapper with the hihats selected. I've also had success with removing some of the "open" hihat sound layers from the editor. I am going to try GW1000's recommendation tonight, as who wouldn't LOVE to get ALL of the dynamics of the VH-13/TD-30 perfectly mapped to a VST like SD2

Comment

• I think the "CC MAX" setting on Roland modules might be specific to the VH-11 or FD controllers, so maybe for your VH-13 it is not relevant. The main thing is to check that your computer is receiving the full range of 0-127 for foot controller CC number 4 when you operate the hi-hat pedal (if you can't see incoming midi information easily in your DAW then you can download a free midi monitor utility to view that information more easily in a separate window).

In the midi mapping screen of Superior Drummer 2, right click on the hi-hat in the big picture of the drum kit to show its articulations in the list on the right. Now when you right click on an articulation name it will turn orange to show that articulation is active for editing, and it will show any currently mapped keys for that articulation as orange on the piano keyboard at the bottom of the screen. You can delete existing note mappings for hi-hat articulations using the Delete button above the articulation list. Articulations in the list will turn white when they are fully unmapped and not active for editing. You should not need to map the open or closed or tight articulations at all because those sounds get selected automatically from the combination of "hatsCtrl" with "hatsTipTrig" and "hatsTrig". The only things you need to map for hi-hat articulations are "hatsTipTrig" to receive both A#1 and F#1, and "hatsTrig" to receive both D0 and A#-1, and "Closed Pedal" to receive G#1, and "hatsCtrl" to receive CC number 4. Be aware that these are the note names in Superior Drummer because they use the Yamaha midi octave numbers, but in the Roland module settings they appear as an octave higher (for example A#2 on Roland gets entered as A#1 in Superior Drummer). You can create a mapping by typing the required new note name directly into the box above the mapping articulation list, rather than having to use the Learn feature and risk having the wrong note get captured due to crosstalk or whatever.

The hi-hat should then be working very well without having to mess about with special custom curves for CC number 4, although you still can do that if you want to tweak the precise pedal positions where it switches between the different sounds.

Comment

• Originally posted by GW1000 View Post
                  I think the "CC MAX" setting on Roland modules might be specific to the VH-11 or FD controllers, so maybe for your VH-13 it is not relevant.
                  Right, not relevant for the VH13 as you can't change the CCMAX setting on the TD50 when you are hooked up with the VH13.

Comment

• Don't know if this has been posted before, but it's quite a good and new, but kind of best-case-scenario, demo of TD-50:
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e67ZD8G9-_s

And for those who might have missed it, Drum-tec made a nice comparison (albeit somewhat biased) between PD-140DS and the 14 inch Drum-tec pro series snare:
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKWhLgEvgtA

Last edited by qcaze; 01-10-17, 02:32 AM.
                    Roland TD-30/TD-6/SPD-SX - BT-1, PD-85, 3xPD-105, 3xPD-125, KD-120, KD-7. Cymbals: 2x CY-14C, 2x CY-15R, 2xCY-12C, CY-13R, 2xCY-5, 2x Yamaha PCY10, Triggera D14, 14 inch DIY snare

Comment

• Originally posted by qcaze View Post
                      Don't know if this has been posted before, but it's quite a good and new, but kind of best-case-scenario, demo of TD-50:

And for those who might have missed it, Drum-tec made a nice comparison (albeit somewhat biased) between PD-140DS and the 14 inch Drum-tec pro series snare:
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKWhLgEvgtA
                      this is one of the better videos i heard of the td50, as for the snare, the only difference really is x sticking butt end of stick on head vs on rim.
                      Pearl Mimic pro on pre order Roland TD 20 bk, Gibraltar rack, VH13, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Kit Toys, Roland KC 500,
                      Audio Technica ADH50X, BBE Sonic Maximizer

Comment

• Originally posted by jammin777 View Post

this is one of the better videos i heard of the td50, as for the snare, the only difference really is x sticking butt end of stick on head vs on rim.
                        weird mix of dry bass drum, proccessed room snare and toms are not convincing. The video was more natural in drumtech.
                        Last edited by Chris K; 01-10-17, 12:21 PM.
                        Regards
                        Chris K

DW Collector Drum, Roland TD-15\VST Powered, Spd-SX, Yamaha Pmc1 midi brain

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris K View Post

weird mix of dry bass drum, proccessed room snare and toms are not convincing. The video was more natural in drumtech.
                          agreed, better than the td 30 but not good enough.
                          Pearl Mimic pro on pre order Roland TD 20 bk, Gibraltar rack, VH13, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Kit Toys, Roland KC 500,
                          Audio Technica ADH50X, BBE Sonic Maximizer

Comment

• Originally posted by qcaze View Post
                            Don't know if this has been posted before, but it's quite a good and new, but kind of best-case-scenario, demo of TD-50:
                            The kick sounds really good and that drum sound should be easy to get by turning on the Ambience and probably cave setting. I find the kits are too thin without the 2 reverbs/ambience. I use a lot less of it on my kits.

Comment

• Originally posted by jammin777 View Post
                              Well, at least that's the impression Drum-tec wants us to have The PD-140DS does fell more real to play IMO since cross stick doesn't needs to be enabled manually. Velocity controlled cross stick is inferior to the hand sensor on the PD-140DS and I get the impression that he's playing the rimshots rather hard (I know the feeling) to avoid getting cross-stick sound by accident. Also, the PD-140DS has no hotspot although the hot spot is also reduced a lot using 3-ply mesh head with a classical single cone trigger.
                              Roland TD-30/TD-6/SPD-SX - BT-1, PD-85, 3xPD-105, 3xPD-125, KD-120, KD-7. Cymbals: 2x CY-14C, 2x CY-15R, 2xCY-12C, CY-13R, 2xCY-5, 2x Yamaha PCY10, Triggera D14, 14 inch DIY snare

Comment

• Originally posted by Peter Warren View Post
                                The kick sounds really good and that drum sound should be easy to get by turning on the Ambience and probably cave setting. I find the kits are too thin without the 2 reverbs/ambience. I use a lot less of it on my kits.
                                Good point - the next time I try TD-50, I'll try out some of the ambience settings. Ambience and reverb was one of the most important improvements in terms of realism on the TD-30 from TDW-20 IMO. And as you mentioned the sounds on the TD-50 are actually sampled with room/ambience, so that's definitely worth trying out.

Comment

Working...
                                X