Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't wait to hear the first review of the new PD-140DS snare on this forum.

This post on the Drum-Tec site cracks the door open on the "hot spot" topic.
    "The "hot-spot" was greatly reduced thanks to the new signal-processing even with analog pads."
    I wonder how they achieved that, but it sounds promising.

They also say that the PD-140DS uses two piezos, and a number of electrostatic elements that detect touch.
    "In addition to the conventional trigger setup consisting of piezoelectric cushion and rim sensors, the new Roland V-Drum Digital Pads feature electrostatic elements on the playing surface and shell to get an even more accurate signal. In total the signal is being sampled by two piezoelectric triggers and six sensors which make the playing surface sensitive to touch."
    This suggests the PD-140 has a similar piezo configuration, but with added sensors for touch sensitivity which allows for automatic switching for rim shot detection and perhaps positional sensing. This is just a semi-educated guess, but it seems to add up.
    TD-25 and TD-11 triggering VSTs (SD 2.3, SSD4, EZDrummer2), DIY drums with Quartz and Pintech triggers, Handsonic HPD-20, JBL Eon 515XT

Comment

Originally posted by senseiadam View Post
      I just wish they would offer a TD-30 upgrade package of TD-50 module, ride and snare for a discount to current TD-30 (and TD-20 users). This would be a nice show of class and appreciation from the company to the people who pay to keep it developing new musical tools.
      agreed!

Comment

Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post
        This is the official TD-50 Discussion Thread.

If you would like to read impressions and speculation discussed during the live release before the official specs were released, please read the last 10-12 pages of this thread first: https://www.vdrums.com/forum/general...ases-sept-9th/

Downloadable PDF Owners Manuals:

(to be added from https://www.roland.com/us/support/owners_manuals/t_z/)

Roland Home Link to all subcategories: https://www.roland.com/us/categories/drums_percussion/
        Hi Alan,

nice compilation. Here you can see both price indication and some views on the sound module: http://www.drum-tec.de/roland-td50-p...ml?language=en .

And this one has some zoom-functionality for the modules control panel: http://www.bettermusic.com.au/roland...um-module-td50 .

Best, Michael
        Last edited by MS-SPO; 09-10-16, 10:55 AM.
        td-30 user ;-)

Comment

I see even the TD-50KV package no longer has the second rack tom, either for space reasons (the massive new ride getting in the way) or cost reasons (which seems unlikely as the components for an analogue tom cannot cost much to manufacture). I wonder if the new sensors for the snare playing surface would offer any better triggering of brush samples.

Comment

FYI:
            there seems to be at least one upgrade pack available: http://www.gear4music.com/Drums-and-...rade-Pack/1PAP
            td-30 user ;-)

Comment

Hopefully we see Roland offer a true upgrade bundle rather than the retailers for even greater savings.

Comment

I am pretty impressed with this and will buy it. I think they just crossed the threshold into more realistic sounds that don't annoy me . It is not as realistic as a VST but will probably be the most advanced trigger for them. The sounds would be fine for tracking and live. They would be useful blended with samples for recording.

The snare pad appears to change to cross stick sound with hand pressure if I am correct. The advanced snare and hi hat are the most important to me. The new ride looks great too. I have a spare 22" kick so I might get that head trigger as well later on.

Comment

Good morning, I have a TD-20 and use it mostly for recording, although I would like to use it more for live. I use addictive drums 2 for recording, and would love to load the kits onto the TD-50. I haven't dug into the threads so this may be an old question, but is Roland saying they support plug-ins or just sounds? My dream has always been to be able to load VST3 plug-ins onto a Roland TD brain...are we there yet? Any thoughts on what it will take to load your own sounds?

Comment

My general impression: It looks improved over the TD-30, but doesn't meet the needed cost/value ratio for me. I will not be buying this, possibly ever, but especially not new.

That said, Roland's flagship modules have never met the cost/value ratio for me. I own a used TD-12, and that's been about right price/performance-wise for me except for:
                    1) the snare has a hot spot (unacceptable)
                    2) the toms machine gun with 32nd note fills (unacceptable)
                    3) overall the sounds are only "realish"
                    4) dynamic range is lacking

if a module fixed those issues, then I could step up to the flagship price -- and I would jump on a new TD-12 level sub-flagship module that fixed those issues.

i wouldn't be surprised if the snare hotspot issue were finally solved with the TD-50. Amazingly, howvever, from what I'm hearing so far, the snare might sound worse. Then again, there might be two or three snares in there that I'd like, and that's actually all I'd need. Toms in general sound bad, but I heard a set or two that sounded good in some videos, and again that's all I need, so that was nice to hear. Machine gunning is still around, though perhaps less evident on the toms somehow.

The sounds are still "realish", but there are some "more realish" ones in there. An improvement at least in some kits, but definitely not the whole solution (beautiful samples). Ride sounds nice, I must say. It's unclear to me if the bell still takes a hard shank whack to trigger, which has been lame. Hi hat sounds nice. I like the new cross stick capability. I m not gonna shell out for the new digital ride and snare, however -- I not too long ago already bought a ridiculously expensive Roland ride and snare.

The two layer sampling is borderline useless for me -- I could see adding a gong sample and some other percussion effects that don't require multiple hits, but how often do I need that?

It seems like a transitional module, dipping a toe into samples and digital connections and new sensors. This is more what I had been expecting the TD-30 to be.

Anyway, it's better. But not enough better for me, especially not at that price. Here's hoping Roland comes out with a sub-flagship version that retains most of the good stuff and sacrifices maybe two outs and a few other bells and whistles, but, a la the TD-8 and TD-12, retains the vast bulk of the flagship features.
                    Last edited by dmt; 09-10-16, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Warren View Post
                      . I think they just crossed the threshold into more realistic sounds that don't annoy me . It is not as realistic as a VST but will probably be the most advanced trigger for them. The sounds would be fine for tracking and live.
                      Overall the sound blend more together, more realistic, sound must be processed when recording or live. The big difference are the tom, these was the crap on the T-30 what making the kits sound horrible and fake, Now with the 2 sample imports per zone (from facebook) mixed with the internal, you can imports VST sample and mix them with internal what ever you want cross-fade, starting point etc... it's a hole new game, and since they just add 15 preset kits, instead of 100 not usable, it's a base template to create drum kit, this should have been like this way before.
                      Last edited by Chris K; 09-10-16, 12:56 PM.
                      Regards
                      Chris K

DW Collector Drum, Roland TD-15\VST Powered, Spd-SX, Yamaha Pmc1 midi brain

Comment

Originally posted by ActionableDave View Post
                        ...is Roland saying they support plug-ins or just sounds? My dream has always been to be able to load VST3 plug-ins onto a Roland TD brain...are we there yet?
                        No, we are not there, yet. You will not be able to load any VST plugins, such as addictive drums, into your TD-50.

Comment

Originally posted by dmt View Post
                          The two layer sampling is borderline useless for me -- I could see adding a gong sample and some other percussion effects that don't require multiple hits, but how often do I need that?

I think you did not saw the video how its works the 2 sound? you can set where you want to start the sample, by cross fading or what ever you want the sample start to play slowly or with your dynamic range, just imagine for tom and snare realistically, imports 2 vst sample and mix is with internal sound, set them accurately to get a good mix with the dynamic, it's a hole new sound, that will blend together with VST original sound, so you will have vst sample mixed with internal, it's a neat feature, this was something previous Td was not possible and complete locked module, now you can create your total sound that you want with your own wav and dynamically blended to your stick hit, wav will fade dynamically as you hit harder or what ever you set it, from start point, mid or higher velocity, volume, cross-fade etc. this is a big difference compare to previous Td module.
                          Last edited by Chris K; 09-10-16, 12:55 PM.
                          Regards
                          Chris K

DW Collector Drum, Roland TD-15\VST Powered, Spd-SX, Yamaha Pmc1 midi brain

Comment

I have a question about the KD-A22 conversion trigger. Right now I run a hybrid setup for live shows using my TD-30 module along with RT series triggers on my acoustic drums. Can anyone see an advantage to the $549us retail KD-A22 heads? Using my RT-30K with a 22" mesh head has worked out very well for me, and I'm able to dial my sensitivity and threshold for a perfect response with all my playing styles. I do plan on upgrading to the TD-50 module (only the module at this time), so maybe there's a reason to switch to the KD-A22? Thanks in advance!

Comment

Basically, I kinda like it, though. They've made incremental improvements, and since I skipped a generation (skipping the TD-30 era), it would be a clear improvement over what I've got. But I don't love it. Definitely not thousands of dollars worth of love it to get the module, snare and ride.

Fortunately, I have access to 3 different acoustic kits these days, so my edrums are just for home practice (using just the module) and occasionally midi-out to trigger a drum sample library for recording. I'd like the real sounds straight from the module, but...

Comment

Originally posted by Chris K View Post

I think you did not saw the video how its works the 2 sound? you can set where you want to start the sample, by cross fading or what ever you want the sample start to play slowly or when with your dynamic range, just imagine for tom and snare realistically, imports 2 vst sample and mix is with internal sound, set them accurately to get a good mix with the dynamic, it's a hole new sound that will blend together with VST original sound, so you will have vst sample mixed with internal, it's a neat feature, this was something previous Td was not possible and complete locked module, now you can create your total sound that you want with your own wav and dynamically blended to your stick hit.
                                I'll have to wait and see some examples -- maybe it will be a big breakthrough like you say. Hopefully.

Comment

Working...
                                X