Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't know if i said it in another post and maybe I'm missing something but i was able to fine tune the hats on the TD 30 by manually fine tuning the hi hat calibration rather than auto calibration. that way i can get the tightness i desired without being too loose or too tight when foot on the pedal. which to me was able to get a natural open close response and tightness according to how much pressure i had on the foot pedal.
    I was able to get it very close to how a real hi hat responds.
    i even successfully did this in EZ drummer as well in the same calibration via TD 30 adjustments.

Mr Boo, to me if the mimic pro is at least as good as the td30 responds in the hi hat department along with the quickness without latency of open close, would be good enough for me.
    the TD 20x had too much latency open close which was my biggest pet peeve.
    Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500,
    BBE Sonic Maximizer, Promark

Comment

• Originally posted by Overtorque View Post

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "sequence hit", but I have triggered all 7 to 8 of them, and they are all different levels of hi hat openness (or tightness).
      From the samples that I had, I can conclude that superior have from 3 to 5 levels of open hat - depending on the library.
      And you do not have separate tip and edge sounds for open sounds.
      In some cases the open1-5 sounds are very likely just 2 levels of open hat played tip and edge (but represented like different open levels) and one half-closed level

I'm not going to argue what is good and what is bad, if you prefer this kind of hat sampling - it is up to you really.

I can only repeat my previous answer.
      The only way to get a real opinion is to play the module yourself.

We are doing our own product with our own vision.
      If you want something "like toontrack" - then the only good decision is to use toontrack.
      That is simple.
      Trying to copy someone - the only thing you can get in result is just a copy, and usually it is worse than the original =)

I intentionally do not giving out any tech details because I want you to judge by ears not by eyes.
      Mimic have it's own hihat engine, different from the SSD4 and SSD5 VSTi
      Hope you will like it =)
      Last edited by Mr.Boo; 12-28-16, 01:29 AM.

Comment

• Mr Boo, with regards to the room mic implementation I assume I can send room mics only to the headphone out and not to the FOH mix if I so choose, correct?
        TD-30 module with a TD-20SX kit into a JBL PRX615M stage monitor. DW9000 series hi-hat and double bass pedal. Now using a modified "Nashville" kit on the TD-30.

My old band's Youtube Channel: Project Mayhem, all TD-20 mixes.

Comment

• Are you using a stereo master out to send sound to FOH mixer?
          If so - you can turn the room mic bus volume down for master mix

Comment

• I would have another technical question about the Mimic Pro concerning Cymbal pads. As we saw in the few videos there were mostly the PEARL cymbals used and once also Roland Cymbals. All seemed to work fine.
            My question is......will Pearl bring some newer versions of their own Cymbals for the Mimic Pro....optimised for it and maybe some new Tru Trac pads????
            I would like to see more demo videos with some Roland Cymbals ( because that is what most people have at home ). I would like to see the hi hat demo with a Roland VH-11 and VH-13. And the Ride with a CY-15R, specially the bell triggering.

Comment

• Originally posted by JmanWord View Post

Jman who?
              YES!!!!!!!
              My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
              E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
              A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
              A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr.Boo View Post
                From the samples that I had, I can conclude that superior have from 3 to 5 levels of open hat - depending on the library.
                And you do not have separate tip and edge sounds for open sounds.
                In some cases the open1-5 sounds are very likely just 2 levels of open hat played tip and edge (but represented like different open levels) and one half-closed level

I'm not going to argue what is good and what is bad, if you prefer this kind of hat sampling - it is up to you really.

I can only repeat my previous answer.
                The only way to get a real opinion is to play the module yourself.

We are doing our own product with our own vision.
                If you want something "like toontrack" - then the only good decision is to use toontrack.
                That is simple.
                Trying to copy someone - the only thing you can get in result is just a copy, and usually it is worse than the original =)

I intentionally do not giving out any tech details because I want you to judge by ears not by eyes.
                Mimic have it's own hihat engine, different from the SSD4 and SSD5 VSTi
                Hope you will like it =)
                I am guessing you had an older version of Superior Drummer. Just ask anyone here, Superior Drummer does have 7 different open to closed transitions, and they have 7 each for the tip and shank.

I will, most likely, buy the Mimic, and I am quite sure the sounds will be great. My only concern is with the hi hat, since all of the VST's have disappointed me (even Toontrack, but it was the best). I'm guessing that you are doing something in your hat engine to minimize the abruptness of going from a full close to a 1/4 open, and I will simply have to wait to experience it.

Thank you for your time, Mr. Boo.
                Last edited by Overtorque; 12-28-16, 08:26 PM.

Comment

• I did a hi hat comparison with The TD50, Toontrack Superior HHX 13 inch, Steven Slate drums CLA,and BFD 3 Paiste signature.

My observations:

At the end of the TD50 example,I switch to regular closed instead of tight closed. It is very obvious that there are less samples and more machine gunning. I hope they do an update on this and also the extra tight edge sound is too tight in my opinion and also much tighter than anything on the TD30. The TD50 snares and ride are very good as far as machine gunning and I think the hi hat definitely needs improvement.

The Slate CLA [Chris Lord Alge] seems to have the smoothest transition for quick open to closed. I would need to spend more time with the Toontrack hi hat to make that aspect smoother. The BFD hat plays pretty good closed but has a very obvious cut off from open to closed.

I am really looking forward to SSD5 and the Mimic. Toontrack isn't close to being smooth enough for what I want and I have a lot of their libraries. SSD4 is the smoothest to my ears right now. The CLA hi hat is very well recorded. For those that don't know,Chris Lord Alge is a god in the recording engineering world!

What I have heard in the Mimic videos so far beats all of these.

Comment

• thanks for the comparison pete, i agree the i tend to like ssd cla best.
                    Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500,
                    BBE Sonic Maximizer, Promark

Comment

• Originally posted by Overtorque View Post
                      I am guessing you had an older version of Superior Drummer. Just ask anyone here, Superior Drummer does have 7 different open to closed transitions, and they have 7 each for the tip and shank. I will, most likely, buy the Mimic, and I am quite sure the sounds will be great. My only concern is with the hi hat, since all of the VST's have disappointed me (even Toontrack, but it was the best). I'm guessing that you are doing something in your hat engine to minimize the abruptness of going from a full close to a 1/4 open, and I will simply have to wait to experience it. Thank you for your time, Mr. Boo.
                      Check ezs2 stock sound, I Included all level open to close, mp3 demo in attach at the bottom

I think he was talking about the open only, he said 1 to 5 and 3 to 5, not talking on the tips\edge close, I don't think he said the reverse, I tried ezs2 with stock sound, and I found the open sound are the exact same for tips and edge, I checked the midi notes and there is definitively the same. this is he was trying to explain.

I found some open sound from Paiste and Sabian open 4 and 5 are way too much subtle like 15% sound changing and not necessary, sabian even worst, and like he said some are interpreted differently, from open 1 to 5 and open 3 to 5, would rather to have more close to open1/4, instead of open 4\ 5.

I noticed there is not enough close to open 1/4, the culprit of most vst are using these as "midi sound players" Instead of hi-hat controller engine adapted to module, I think Mr.boo what he explain, it's better to adapt hihat controller\sound to the module instead of teleporting ssd5 only, own mimic hi-hat engine for better result.

The level of openness can be misleading as well, and what Mr.boo writes previously these was months ago, it does not means 5 level means traditional 5 level, we can interpret it in many way, we will get better idea sometime, it just question of like he said months previously, undisclosed information\ others things.

We can speculate as we want, its the result count, no matter how they done it, we all want the hi-hat works well, so far their vision about mimic is something different from the market, lets wait and see.

Ps: About the 2box hh level, yes was talking for single zone, most supports edge and tips, number of level is misleading, it wont response like Roland hihat as example.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Chris K; 12-31-16, 12:19 AM.
                      [www.mimicpro.com ][ www.dwdrums.com ] [www.zildjian.com]

Comment

• I do plan to upgrade my td 9 module ,this looks like a good option but i'll need to see reviews etc. but it impressed me enough to hold off on buying a new module until this is released ,if i don't go with the pearl i will probably go with a used td 30 ,i am a bit concerned about compatibility because even though my kit is a pearl acoustic converted to mesh ekit all my cymbals are roland and the toms & snare i converted are wired for roland only my floor tom and bass drum have ddrum rim triggers so i'm leaning more towards a roland module unless the pearl one is compatible and the price is not too insane
                        updated td9 brain,vh11, cy12c/r, cy15r, cy13c/r, axis long boards double pedal,pearl export drum shells with roland mesh heads,ddrum trigger on floor tom & roland rt30k trigger on kick drum,quartz trigger harness in upper toms and snare

Comment

• Originally posted by demonocus View Post
                          i am a bit concerned about compatibility because even though my kit is a pearl acoustic converted to mesh ekit all my cymbals are roland and the toms & snare i converted are wired for roland only my floor tom and bass drum have ddrum rim triggers so i'm leaning more towards a roland module unless the pearl one is compatible and the price is not too insane
                          MIMIC Pro Module is compatible with most e-drum pad on the market, such of Alesis, Roland, Yamaha etc.The price should be 1999$ at the latest news, there is the usual trigger parameter and setting for pad, DIY pad will be compatible as well.
                          [www.mimicpro.com ][ www.dwdrums.com ] [www.zildjian.com]

Comment

• Great work Pete!

Without judging on samples, I would still pick CLA as it just sounds the least flawed, out of all the examples.

It uses a smooth fade to cut the full open samples when the pedal is closed, instead of that sharp cut off like the others - which I know isn't as responsive under the foot, but it sure sounds nicer by ear, and the distinct pedal chick will combat that feeling of automation anyway.

On BFD3, this smoothing is adjustable, it seems to be set as sharp as the others which isn't nice for me, but the fade duration isn't something that's even adjustable on SD2.

Nonetheless, I really hope we will see CLA samples on the Mimic Pro.
                            ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
                            Community Drum Module Document
                            PA Specifications (wip)

Comment

• I got the BFD hi hat working smoother. I am not that impressed with the Toontrack hi hats for what I do. I tried a lot more of them and still find the tight closed is too tight and does not sound real going to the next closed. You can turn it off but most of them sound too open to me at the next level.

I have discovered a few things:
                              1. It is better to have one tightness level or 2 that are very close together.
                              2. The open samples should not be hit too hard when recorded. It is very easy to get max velocity hits on open hi hat pad when you move to the edge even if you don't want them. There are sections of the pad that are louder than others. The hi hat should be sampled like a great studio drummer is playing it with excellent dynamic control. We don't need super loud bashing and and tight samples that sound like something standing on the hi hat with both feet.
                              3. We need a good pool of closed samples if someone is going to do anything other than 1/8 notes. The BFD Paiste is pretty good and the edge and tip have the same pressure.
                              4. In my opinion,the edge should be fairly tight but musical like the tip. This facilitates the smoothest playing from tip to edge. It is also surprising how many VST hi hats have panning mistakes in the samples.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris K View Post

MIMIC Pro Module is compatible with most e-drum pad on the market, such of Alesis, Roland, Yamaha etc.The price should be 1999$ at the latest news, there is the usual trigger parameter and setting for pad, DIY pad will be compatible as well.
                                I hope its not $1999 cause in Canada it would be $3000 and even 2 grand is a little pricey for me.
                                updated td9 brain,vh11, cy12c/r, cy15r, cy13c/r, axis long boards double pedal,pearl export drum shells with roland mesh heads,ddrum trigger on floor tom & roland rt30k trigger on kick drum,quartz trigger harness in upper toms and snare

Comment

Working...
                                X