No announcement yet.

Official Pearl Mimic Pro Discussion Topic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting about the ATV ad-h14. Maybe I will try those instead; just watched the youtube video and it seems great.

Comment

• Any opinions on a dedicated snare for the mimic? I am using a PD 125 and I have the settings pretty good. Obviously, has a hot spot in the center, but it's not terrible.

Comment

• Originally posted by tapotti View Post
        Any opinions on a dedicated snare for the mimic? I am using a PD 125 and I have the settings pretty good. Obviously, has a hot spot in the center, but it's not terrible.
        If you don't want a hot spot but want a full-sized, responsive snare, I suggest the ATV aD-S14. $449 vs $519 for the Roland.

If you're more budget minded, I'd get a cheap snare and add a side mounted trigger such as one from Quartz percussions from Canada. You can do the whole thing, including a mesh head from Drum-Tec for under $200 easily, and it will have no hot spot.
        Last edited by jpsquared482; 01-13-18, 06:24 PM.
        ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro, TD-25 triggering Superior Drummer 3.0, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

• Originally posted by tapotti View Post
          Thanks for the feedback. How do you go about contacting Mr. Boo?

EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out.
          The latest firmware (currently in release candidate stage and due to public soon) improves the HH all-around greatly. I started off with my Mimic using a VH-12 as well and even with the beta firmware I was not completely impressed. Not due to the Mimic functionality but rather the VH-12. There is something about the controller mechanism on the 12 that's just shoddy in comparison to FD-x or VH-13 hats. I sold my VH-12 and now have ATV aD-14 hats as well and they are performing flawlessly. The bigger size also adds to the realism.

Give the beta firmware a try if you get to Mr Boo but in the end if it's still driving you mad I suggest you dump the VH-12 for a 13 or something different.
          Live Rig: Mimic Pro | PD-125X pads | ATV + Roland cym | DIY 13" Snare + 16" Kick | MDS-9V rack | Turbosound iQ12 + iQ15B
          Studio Rig: TD-12 w/ SD 3.0 | Pearl ePro DIY full kit | ATV + Yamaha cym | FD-7 | MDS-20 rack | ATH-M40x phones

Comment

• Originally posted by Trip McNealy View Post

The latest firmware (currently in release candidate stage and due to public soon) improves the HH all-around greatly. I started off with my Mimic using a VH-12 as well and even with the beta firmware I was not completely impressed. Not due to the Mimic functionality but rather the VH-12. There is something about the controller mechanism on the 12 that's just shoddy in comparison to FD-x or VH-13 hats. I sold my VH-12 and now have ATV aD-14 hats as well and they are performing flawlessly. The bigger size also adds to the realism.

Give the beta firmware a try if you get to Mr Boo but in the end if it's still driving you mad I suggest you dump the VH-12 for a 13 or something different.
            Roland discontinued the VH12 very fast, 2 years lifetime, compare to all others of their cymbal, and replaced quickly with VH13, maybe they found flaw on it.
            [www.mimicpro.com ][ www.dwdrums.com ] [www.zildjian.com]

Comment

• Originally posted by tjprime1 View Post

Great.

I'm planning on adding an extra floor tom when I purchase a kit.
              Speaking of toms, are most (or all) toms recorded with rim click articulations?
              Last edited by Overtorque; 01-14-18, 01:26 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Overtorque View Post

Speaking of toms, are most (or all) toms recorded with rim click articulations?
                Yes, and most snare have around 5 articulation, I use 3 sound for a snare, and you can load your own wav and add to articulation as well.
                Last edited by Chris K; 01-14-18, 01:29 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris K View Post

Roland discontinued the VH12 very fast, 2 years lifetime, compare to all others of their cymbal, and replaced quickly with VH13, maybe they found flaw on it.
                  I think the VH-12 is just as good as the VH-13. (I do own all Roland Hi-hats...but I have of course not tried them with a Mimic Pro.)

I just wanted to highlight that the VH-12 differ very much in specs and range compared all other Rolandís.

VH-12 goes from 19 Kohm (open) to about 10 Kohm (xtra tight) a normal close hh is around 14 Kohm (normal close)

VH-13 goes from 18,3 kohm(open) to 0,6 Kohm (xtra tight) and about 4 kohm (normal close)

All Rolandís goes from 19k down to almost zero ohms...the VH-12 donít ... which I am guessing caused challenges when designing modules. It easier to design surrounding electronics if devices goes down to zero ohms...easier to measure and handle in the backend.

Thats maybe why they dropped it.

Best regards

Anders

Last edited by angr77; 01-14-18, 09:05 AM.
                  Sonor Force Stage 2007 and Sonor Safari, Roland CY-14,13R,15R,12CR,RT-10S&K,2xBT-1,VH-11,-12,-13 & KD-10, Quartz Triggers, Pintech Dingbat, Triggera 2x D14,D11,120MHz MegaDRUM with PS board, 2box 1.30.3, Addictive Drums 2.1.7. All ADpaks, Win10 on Microsoft Surface PRO, Macbook, Pearl Throne Thumper, Zourman HH & Ride Conv Kit www.zourman.com

Comment

• Originally posted by angr77 View Post

VH-12 goes from 19 Kohm (open) to about 10 Kohm (xtra tight) a normal close hh is around 14 Kohm (normal close)
                    that is not correct, sorry
                    Probably yours is measuring this way. I gathered about 30 reports about different VH12, and the problem is that they have different characteristics. I even got one that is going to 0ohm!
                    I believe that roland discontinued the VH12 due to sensor characteristics instability. But that is only a speculation of course.

Comment

• Hi!

Then the VH-12 seems to be impossible to support...and it is a piece of junk :-) (But have we seen any large threads with VH-12 related problems?)

Just for reference...I did measure 3 different VH-12...when doing the research (e.g not only mine) and they all show the results mentioned in my post. (I think even Jman made a post on this with the same results once upon a time)

But you are probably right...thatís why they took it off the market.

Best regards

Anders
                      Last edited by angr77; 01-14-18, 11:29 AM.
                      Sonor Force Stage 2007 and Sonor Safari, Roland CY-14,13R,15R,12CR,RT-10S&K,2xBT-1,VH-11,-12,-13 & KD-10, Quartz Triggers, Pintech Dingbat, Triggera 2x D14,D11,120MHz MegaDRUM with PS board, 2box 1.30.3, Addictive Drums 2.1.7. All ADpaks, Win10 on Microsoft Surface PRO, Macbook, Pearl Throne Thumper, Zourman HH & Ride Conv Kit www.zourman.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr.Boo View Post
                        I gathered about 30 reports about different VH12, and the problem is that they have different characteristics. I even got one that is going to 0ohm! I believe that roland discontinued the VH12 due to sensor characteristics instability. But that is only a speculation of course.
                        Wow this is why than its almost impossible to get it right, I remember even with ad5, one reported the same issue with vh12.
                        Last edited by Chris K; 01-14-18, 01:08 PM.

Comment

• Hmm it canít be that bad as mine works flawlessly with a td20 and td30 so it is possible to get it right in the module
                          Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

• Originally posted by mkok View Post
                            Hmm it canít be that bad as mine works flawlessly with a td20 and td30 so it is possible to get it right in the module
                            I do also agree that my vh-12 works great on MegaDrum and 2box module with my conversion...but this is maybe very irrelevant in this fine thread!

Anders

Comment

• Considering the cost of the module and ekits,I would sell the VH12 on Ebay for $200 and buy the ATV Hi hat.
                              Last edited by Peter Warren; 01-14-18, 09:15 PM.

Comment

• Yeah, I'm selling my VH-12s. I just bought the ad-h14, can't wait to finally have a complete kit to play!

On a separate note, I connected my Yamaha DTX multi 12 to the Mimic Pro as well. Great way to get a lot of additional sounds.

Comment

Working...
                                X