Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I used the TD50 for another show last night and it worked OK,but I am leaning toward the Mimic for the sound quality and lack of machine gunning. I have a really nice Genelec monitor system in my studio and the sound quality of the Mimic/SSD5 is incredible. Besides sounding good,I think it will cut through a band better live. The TD50 is a lot better than the 30 but still fairly Roland sounding. It can be fat sounding through the PA but there is still a missing midrange presence.

Comment

• Any idea of price and release date and name that store Chris K

Comment

• about $1999 US and should be released sometime by spring 2017 they say 1st quarter of 2017
        Roland TD 20 bk, TD 20X, VH13, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Kit Toys, Gibraltar rack, Roland KC 500,
        Audio Technica ADH50X, BBE Sonic Maximizer

Comment

• Im buying one also
          Roland TD-12 Ludwig A2E 5pc kit, VH-11
          Studio Drummer, Abbey Road 60's 70's 80's, AD2, SSD4, EZD2
          Komplete Audio 6, JBL Eon 515XT, Yamaha MG06, DAW Studio One 3

Comment

• I have been able to get this info, Pearl Mimic is power ready for Us\Europe (British\German standards) you will only need the low cost wall socket adapter plug for Europe or Australia.
            Last edited by Chris K; 12-23-16, 10:50 AM.
            Regards
            Chris K

DW Collector Drum, Roland TD-15\VST Powered, Spd-SX, Yamaha Pmc1 midi brain

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris K View Post
              I have been able to get this info, Pearl Mimic is power ready for Us\Europe (British\German standards) you will only need the low cost power wall adapter plug for Europe.
              Hi Chris, that is a very good info. Thank you for that.

I want to buy one, I hope the release is directly after Namm in January 2017.
              I wish to hear more about it on the YouTube channel of PEARL.

Comment

• On the pictures a power input can be seen, so it needs a power adapter, right?
                such adapter transforms 110 V into .... volts
                So think you need local adapter. In Europe one which transforms 220 V into the power the Mimic needs
                Robert

Comment

• Specifically, we'll need to know the voltage and amperage, as well as measurements of the plug; diameter, length, a clear picture. Save us playing a lottery with those universal transformers.

Of course all of this might not even be necessary a few months after launch, but no doubt the community will provide the answers, just like most mods.
                  ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
                  Community Drum Module Document
                  PA Comparison sheet (wip)

Comment

• From what the team told me and clearly confirmed twice, you don't need to change the external power supply or do anything that came with the units, it's power compatible ready 110\220\240 US, EUROPE, UK, (British\German standards) you only need the small wall plugs round pin socket for Europe\ Australia, this is what they said, I only reported their answer for all those Europe\ UK want this module, it will works easily.

It look like "kind of similar system" to Apple power adapters auto-switching voltage 50\60hz 100v-240v and others are starting to use these model, such of Camera\Computers, maybe less harsh in production and easier (one box for all).
                    Last edited by Chris K; 12-23-16, 11:10 PM.
                    Regards
                    Chris K

DW Collector Drum, Roland TD-15\VST Powered, Spd-SX, Yamaha Pmc1 midi brain

Comment

• Mr. Boo,

I know that I asked you this a few months ago, but it bears repeating. How many hi hat open to closed transitions will there be, and will it include transmutation?

If the Mimic Pro is only going to include:
                      - Closed
                      -. 1/4 Open
                      -. 1/2 Open
                      -. 3/4 Open
                      -. Full Open

Than it does not deserve to be called "Pro". A hi hat with such few transitions sucks to play, primarily because most drummers play between closed and 1/4 to 1/2 open, and a real hat, and even Roland's TD-30, provide multiple transitions between hard closed and 1/2 open.

Listen, I have owned every flagship Roland module from the 10 to the 30, and each one has been more pleasing to play than the last. I was never really bothered by the sound quality, but I always kept tabs on people using VST's. About 2 years ago I went out and purchased about every popular VST out there, and to my dismay, they all played like crap, with the exception of SD2, because of the unrealistic hi hat. Only Toontrack has provided enough transitions on the hats for a satisfying experience.

Even if SSD 5 does not include more than 5 open to closed hat transitions, please allow us the option to ADD MORE. At the minimum, there should be around 8 open to closed transitions.

I truly hope you heed my warning, I love Pearl and the Mimic has a ton of potential. However, if you only include 5 hat positions, I will have to buy the TD-50 and trigger Superior Drummer. I just can't trade playability for sound quality, and we currently have the technology to do so much better.

Thanks in advance!
                      Last edited by Overtorque; 12-26-16, 07:44 PM.

Comment

• You might want to read this if you want to trigger SD2 with a TD50:
                        https://www.vdrums.com/forum/general...perior-drummer

Maybe that's why it's not called the "TD-50 Pro".... he he he....
                        Last edited by perceval; 12-26-16, 08:54 PM.
                        DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH Kit Pix

My new venture: voglosounds.com

Comment

• Yes the TD-50 hihat(s) have their own flaws with limited velocity layers, so choose your poison really!

I expect even after the Mimic Pro, the answer will still be to use a computer and a VST like the Core Kit.

So until SSD5 is released we won't get an answer on this, because they are responsible for that area of development, but I will say this:

2box originally had more levels than it ended up supporting during it's development, why they didn't go ahead and locked this we'll never know, but it's in the realms of possibility I reckon. I guess Overtorque, you don't want them to restrict the amount of levels we could mod afterwards? I could agree on 9 as a max then, if we are dreaming big lol, but we don't even know if the Mimic Pro will support user imported multi-layered samples, yet alone a custom hi-hat.

The second partner in this equation, the SSD5 team, must also have recorded the required amount of levels during the sampling session.

But I've got a great idea for a compromise already, because I expect the Mimic Pro will only have 5 levels:

There is going to be a selection of hihats, so just sample them differently?

If we have around 5 hi-hats to choose from, lets have about 2 models which are jazz hats, recorded tighter than the others, where fully open would only be half open for a more hard-rock hihat. That should free up more space for intermediate levels of expression for those jazz hihats including very tight samples.

Failing that, if the Mimic Pro really is memory limited to 5 levels but SSD5 has 9 levels sampled; lets have the option of loading a "more tight" or "more open" versions of the same hi-hat model. You have the SSD space right?

I already choose certain VST hats because I know they play better with certain genres better than others, because the way they were sampled. I don't see why this is going to be any different on the Mimic Pro.
                          Last edited by Kabonfaiba; 12-26-16, 10:23 PM.
                          ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
                          Community Drum Module Document
                          PA Comparison sheet (wip)

Comment

• Originally posted by Overtorque View Post
                            Mr. Boo,

I know that I asked you this a few months ago, but it bears repeating. How many hi hat open to closed transitions will there be, and will it include transmutation?

If the Mimic Pro is only going to include:
                            - Closed
                            -. 1/4 Open
                            -. 1/2 Open
                            -. 3/4 Open
                            -. Full Open

Than it does not deserve to be called "Pro". A hi hat with such few transitions sucks to play, primarily because most drummers play between closed and 1/4 to 1/2 open, and a real hat, and even Roland's TD-30, provide multiple transitions between hard closed and 1/2 open.

Listen, I have owned every flagship Roland module from the 10 to the 30, and each one has been more pleasing to play than the last. I was never really bothered by the sound quality, but I always kept tabs on people using VST's. About 2 years ago I went out and purchased about every popular VST out there, and to my dismay, they all played like crap, with the exception of SD2, because of the unrealistic hi hat. Only Toontrack has provided enough transitions on the hats for a satisfying experience.

Even if SSD 5 does not include more than 5 open to closed hat transitions, please allow us the option to ADD MORE. At the minimum, there should be around 8 open to closed transitions.

I truly hope you heed my warning, I love Pearl and the Mimic has a ton of potential. However, if you only include 5 hat positions, I will have to buy the TD-50 and trigger Superior Drummer. I just can't trade playability for sound quality, and we currently have the technology to do so much better.

Thanks in advance!
                            What style do you play? I play mostly closed hi hat and all Roland modules have minimal closed samples. Any pattern beyond 1/8th notes will machine gun. The open/closed action doesn't bother me on VST's,just the closed samples. Some VST hats are too loose,others are too tight. Toontrack does an extra tight and then too loose on many of their hats[in closed position and only works on VH12 and 13 hats]. They do not sound real if you are playing 16ths or broken 16ths.
                            I find that the module and hi hat controller have a lot of effect on the open/closed action. I do like how fast the TD50 does open closed and it works without opening the hi hat very far.

The Mimic hi hat looks excellent so far from the videos for my uses. I am sure they could add more levels of openess if needed at any point if that many samples can play at one time.

Comment

• Originally posted by perceval View Post
                              You might want to read this if you want to trigger SD2 with a TD50:
                              https://www.vdrums.com/forum/general...perior-drummer

Maybe that's why it's not called the "TD-50 Pro".... he he he....
                              Ugh, I was not aware of that. Do you have any more links related to this problem?

I would have to monitor the midi that's coming from the module to determine whether this is something I could fix or something Roland will have to fix via a firmware update.

Anyway, thanks for that info.

I do, however, believe that any module or get with only 5 hat transitions should not have "pro" anywhere near it.
                              ​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by Kabonfaiba View Post
                                Yes the TD-50 hihat(s) have their own flaws with limited velocity layers, so choose your poison really!

I expect even after the Mimic Pro, the answer will still be to use a computer and a VST like the Core Kit.

So until SSD5 is released we won't get an answer on this, because they are responsible for that area of development, but I will say this:

2box originally had more levels than it ended up supporting during it's development, why they didn't go ahead and locked this we'll never know, but it's in the realms of possibility I reckon. I guess Overtorque, you don't want them to restrict the amount of levels we could mod afterwards? I could agree on 9 as a max then, if we are dreaming big lol, but we don't even know if the Mimic Pro will support user imported multi-layered samples, yet alone a custom hi-hat.

The second partner in this equation, the SSD5 team, must also have recorded the required amount of levels during the sampling session.

But I've got a great idea for a compromise already, because I expect the Mimic Pro will only have 5 levels:

There is going to be a selection of hihats, so just sample them differently?

If we have around 5 hi-hats to choose from, lets have about 2 models which are jazz hats, recorded tighter than the others, where fully open would only be half open for a more hard-rock hihat. That should free up more space for intermediate levels of expression for those jazz hihats including very tight samples.

Failing that, if the Mimic Pro really is memory limited to 5 levels but SSD5 has 9 levels sampled; lets have the option of loading a "more tight" or "more open" versions of the same hi-hat model. You have the SSD space right?

I already choose certain VST hats because I know they play better with certain genres better than others, because the way they were sampled. I don't see why this is going to be any different on the Mimic Pro.
                                Thanks for the reply. Does the TD-50 really have limited layers for the hats? Less than the TD-30?!

In regards to your "compromise" for the Mimic, I think that would work, however I kind of doubt Pearl would do it. We can hope.

Comment

Working...
                                X