This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks guys for that info.

Does the on-board sound editing allow you to tune one of them duplicated toms, to essentially create a kit with only two actual toms recorded, into what appears to be four?

Comment

• Originally posted by tjprime1 View Post
      Thanks guys for that info.

Does the on-board sound editing allow you to tune one of them duplicated toms, to essentially create a kit with only two actual toms recorded, into what appears to be four?
      yes, and the most have 4 tom set.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris K View Post

yes, and the most have 4 tom set.
        Great.

I'm planning on adding an extra floor tom when I purchase a kit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Outlaw Pilot View Post
          scheinriese do you have any other kits that you've put together that you're willing to share? You Rock Kit is hands down the best thing I've played on my Mimic Pro yet!
          Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad that someone else likes it. It's the only one I've made so far.

Comment

• Hi all,

I purchased a Pearl Mimic Pro recently. I have everything working great EXCEPT the hi-hat. It's driving me insane. Specifically, the open close mechanism is highly finicky and difficult to control.

Before I go on, I made sure that all the connections are using TRS stereo 1/4'' cables. I have a Tama Iron Cobra hi hat stand.

I have a Roland VH-12 hi-hat. It works okay on my TD-20 module, but I can't calibrate it correctly on the Mimic. The spring mechanism on the bottom hat, even when fully depressed, seems to the lower the gray bar by only 20% on the mimic. I imagine it's supposed to go much lower. If I add extra pressure, it makes a sudden drop to the bottom where the blue bar is. In other words, it's not giving me a gradient to work with. The bar is jumpy even if I make a smooth transition from open to close.

It's been impossible contacting anyone with technical knowledge about this. I actually purchased a VH13 yesterday since I'm so desperate but it's not here yet. Can anyone here help me with this? I'll be happy to communicate with private message or email.

Thanks.
            Last edited by tapotti; 01-13-18, 01:02 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tapotti View Post
              Hi all,

I purchased a Pearl Mimic Pro recently. I have everything working great EXCEPT the hi-hat. It's driving me insane. Specifically, the open close mechanism is highly finicky and difficult to control.

Before I go on, I made sure that all the connections are using TRS stereo 1/4'' cables. I have a Tama Iron Cobra hi hat stand.

I have a Roland VH-12 hi-hat. It works okay on my TD-20 module, but I can't calibrate it correctly on the Mimic. The spring mechanism on the bottom hat, even when fully depressed, seems to the lower the gray bar by only 20% on the mimic. I imagine it's supposed to go much lower. If I add extra pressure, it makes a sudden drop to the bottom where the blue bar is. In other words, it's not giving me a gradient to work with. The bar is jumpy even if I make a smooth transition from open to close.

It's been impossible contacting anyone with technical knowledge about this. I actually purchased a VH13 yesterday since I'm so desperate but it's not here yet. Can anyone here help me with this? I'll be happy to communicate with private message or email.

Thanks.
              Hi,

You might contact Mr.Boo to get the latest build v1.6, in PM not released yet, it improve the VH12 algo, will be easier to configure with new capture function close to open and top velocity, VH12 works differently from VH11, VH13 , ATV and these works very nicely. Drop me a PM, when you update the firmware.

I set mine like these with my VH11
              Threshold to 0
              Denoize to 0
              Close\open transition sensitivity between 5 and 15

-Use capture function to set auto max close\max open

Ps: Physical hihat stand pedal clutch need tension to high no more 1" gab between the 2hihat cymbal
              Last edited by Chris K; 01-13-18, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Hi all,

I purchased a Pearl Mimic Pro recently. I have everything working great EXCEPT the hi-hat. It's driving me insane. Specifically, the open close mechanism is highly finicky and difficult to control. I have a Roland VH-12 hi-hat. It works okay on my TD-20 module, but I can't calibrate it correctly on the Mimic.
                Thanks.
                To add to what Chris K noted, the VH12 is not fully compatible with the Mimic Pro with the current version of firmware. A new one is being developed. However, I might suggest you return the VH13 and get the ATV aDH-14. Peter Warren has had exceptional results with it with the Mimic. It works like a dream on the aD5. It costs less than a VH13 and is more realistic to play.
                ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

• Thanks for the feedback. How do you go about contacting Mr. Boo?

EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out.
                  Last edited by tapotti; 01-13-18, 04:05 PM.

Comment

• Interesting about the ATV ad-h14. Maybe I will try those instead; just watched the youtube video and it seems great.

Comment

• Any opinions on a dedicated snare for the mimic? I am using a PD 125 and I have the settings pretty good. Obviously, has a hot spot in the center, but it's not terrible.

Comment

Any opinions on a dedicated snare for the mimic? I am using a PD 125 and I have the settings pretty good. Obviously, has a hot spot in the center, but it's not terrible.
                        If you don't want a hot spot but want a full-sized, responsive snare, I suggest the ATV aD-S14. $449 vs $519 for the Roland.

If you're more budget minded, I'd get a cheap snare and add a side mounted trigger such as one from Quartz percussions from Canada. You can do the whole thing, including a mesh head from Drum-Tec for under $200 easily, and it will have no hot spot.
                        Last edited by jpsquared482; 01-13-18, 05:24 PM.
                        ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. How do you go about contacting Mr. Boo?

EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out.
                          The latest firmware (currently in release candidate stage and due to public soon) improves the HH all-around greatly. I started off with my Mimic using a VH-12 as well and even with the beta firmware I was not completely impressed. Not due to the Mimic functionality but rather the VH-12. There is something about the controller mechanism on the 12 that's just shoddy in comparison to FD-x or VH-13 hats. I sold my VH-12 and now have ATV aD-14 hats as well and they are performing flawlessly. The bigger size also adds to the realism.

Give the beta firmware a try if you get to Mr Boo but in the end if it's still driving you mad I suggest you dump the VH-12 for a 13 or something different.
                          Live Rig: Mimic Pro | PD-125X pads | ATV + Roland cym | DIY 13" Snare + 14" Kick | MDS-9V rack | Turbosound iQ12 + iQ15B
                          Studio Rig: TD-12 w/ SD 3.0 | Pearl ePro DIY full kit | ATV + Yamaha cym | VH-11 | MDS-20 rack | ATH-M40x phones

Comment

• Originally posted by Trip McNealy View Post

The latest firmware (currently in release candidate stage and due to public soon) improves the HH all-around greatly. I started off with my Mimic using a VH-12 as well and even with the beta firmware I was not completely impressed. Not due to the Mimic functionality but rather the VH-12. There is something about the controller mechanism on the 12 that's just shoddy in comparison to FD-x or VH-13 hats. I sold my VH-12 and now have ATV aD-14 hats as well and they are performing flawlessly. The bigger size also adds to the realism.

Give the beta firmware a try if you get to Mr Boo but in the end if it's still driving you mad I suggest you dump the VH-12 for a 13 or something different.
                            Roland discontinued the VH12 very fast, 2 years lifetime, compare to all others of their cymbal, and replaced quickly with VH13, maybe they found flaw on it.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjprime1 View Post

Great.

I'm planning on adding an extra floor tom when I purchase a kit.
                              Speaking of toms, are most (or all) toms recorded with rim click articulations?
                              Last edited by Overtorque; 01-14-18, 12:26 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Overtorque View Post

Speaking of toms, are most (or all) toms recorded with rim click articulations?
                                Yes, and most snare have around 5 articulation, I use 3 sound for a snare, and you can load your own wav and add to articulation as well.
                                Last edited by Chris K; 01-14-18, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X