Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Thanks, now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks, now what?

Hey edrummers out there! I appreciate everyones advice. I went with the Roland V-Pro, which i bought from samash.com. I think they sent me the wrong stand. All the drums are fine, but the stand is purple and a little roughed up. It's probably the display stand for the concert set. But it works perfect. I decided to go ahead with the PM-3, which are some of the best sounding speakers I've ever heard.

But now that all of that is taken care of, I have a new purchase I need some help with. I don't plan on buying it for quite a while, but I'd like the advice. I'm currently putting together a small home recording studio. I am really a total rookie at all of this. All I do is play drums, and I'm really good with computers. So I basically want all of the recording to be done on the computer...I think. Here's what I have, and what I want to do:

A Roland V-Pro Electronic Drum Set (One stereo output PAIR)
    A Roland RS-5 Synthesizer Keyboard (One stereo output PAIR)
    Bass and Electric Guitars (One line out for each)
    Mic for Vocals (One line out)

- What I want to do is be able to hook everything up into a mixer, right. I need at least 6 inputs to the mixer, right?
    The Behringer Euroracks look really nice. Anyone heard of these/use these? Maybe something such as the EURORACK MX602A or the EURORACK MXB1002. Would these suit my needs?

- I want to send what ever I have mixed to my computer for recording. Is there a way to send each track separately to the software and keep the
    tracks separate, while we all play at the same time?

- Do I need to buy a recording card? I'm looking one such as this one: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ex/sh...519?pid=701346
    Is that one appropriate for what I want to use it for?

So that's it. Does anyone know what to do? Thanks you for your time and I hope to heard from you soon.

Sincerely,
    Andy G.
    The best damn kid in the record industry. Maybe.

I have a like new Behringer mixer for $265... It is the "20 channel" which has 4 line, 8 xlr/line....

If you decide to go that way, drop me an email...

Erik
    [email protected]

Comment

I Agree with Boingo (in the Technical forum)
      My advice (there will be plenty who disagree with me). If you want it to be a computer based, go with a package like the Digi001/Protools. You don't need any outboard gear then (desks etc) and you can easily get software plugins etc. It greatly depends on how much $$ you have to spend and the quality of the stuff you want to reproduce. There are also plenty of cheaper computer based programs out there, anyone else want to chip in here?
      Steve

'I only ever quote myself - except when I quote someone else' - me

, plenty of , and , , triggered acoustics, , and a plethora of PA blah blah freakin blah...I mean does anyone care about the specifics of pedals, speakers, processors, hardware or anything that I'm using?? :confused: Hmmm, maybe this is an appropriate place to mention that I tried out a new cymbal stand the other day...

Comment

I second the Digi 001/ProTools package. I've been working with it for 3 weeks with a G3 Mac, and this is by far the most powerful and also easiest to use recording package I've ever come across. Beats the hell out of Logic, runs rings round Cubase, and puts Digital Performer to shame. It's very powerful if you're using a Mac, I'm guessing it's similar on a PC, although the PC version boasts less RTAS plug-ins at the moment, but that'll change rather quickly, I think.
        Another good package is the MOTU 828 Firewire-based system, combine that with the recording software of your choice, and you're set.

Stu

P.S. My 2-year old V-Pro rack is purple and the bars are rough, you've got the right rack alright.

[This message has been edited by mcconaghy (edited June 25, 2001).]
        "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

Dude, your multiple posts have my head spinning...

The Digi00l sounds like what you need, but be prepared to pump up your computer to around 192MB Ram cause thats what you'll need when you start loading up that bad boy..

The Musicians Friend link you posted is for the Delta 44, which has only 4 analog in and 4 analog out...of course, ins and outs of the soundcard become a dead issue if you purchase a mixer that has number of ins and outs you need...

The big brother to the Delta 44 is the Delta 1010, and I would highly recommend it...I'm not sure what sequencing software the 1010 comes with, but I've seen used Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 packages on Ebay and Harmony Central for $50...

Not to get into a pissing match, but there are alternatives to the digi ool.has its drawbacks...I could never get a ProTools PC package to work properly without crash after crash...ON the other hand, Logic Audio Platinum has worked flawlessly for me on Windows 98se, especially with the MidiMan Delta series soundcards, specifically the Delta 44, 66 and 1010 mentioned above...

Digital Performer on a Mac has also worked great for me...there, you would go with a 2408 or 1224, both which can accomodate multiple ins and outs, and both with can be purchased fairly inexpensively on Ebay...

Comment

Uh...

Guys, I really am a beginner on this, and I don't like anything to do with Mac's. I have nothing against them, but I'm a PC guy. But I was talking to a keyboard guy at my local music store and he said that I need pre amps, and that computers cant handle multiple track recording and playback at the same time. Either way, i have no idea what he was talking about. I dont really understand what you guys are talking about either. Can anyone explain it in simpler terms what I need for what I want to do?

Thanks for you patience with a moron like me...

- Andy
            The best damn kid in the record industry. Maybe.

Comment

You don't need preamps, and almost all but the cheapest soundcard will do recording and playback at the same time (duplexing).

Recording multiple tracks? yes, but you need a good sound card that has multiple ins, and some decent software.

As you begin recording, I'm certain that you'll find that recording everything at the same time is not only unnecessary, but also the wrong approach.

You'll want to do drums first, possibly have each of your drums on a separate track, tweak the sounds perfectly, and then move on to the next instrument, and so on. Once you have all the instruments, then you do sound tweaking and mixing. That's the best way. There's no reason to record it all at the same time.

I have the Behringer 1604, and it's pisser. I love it.
              I would reccomend it for getting together with people so you can set levels, but as I explained above, if you record one instrument at a time, a mixer isn't necessary.

I didn't read any of thej other posts, so maybe this has been covered....

BINARY

Comment

Working...
              X