Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You can get away with not using a patch on mesh heads as long as its not a felt beater. You will eventually wear down a mesh head even if using wood, plastic or rubber beater types....however this will happen very slowly. This all depends on mesh head used, head tension, beater head type, angle and position when striking mesh head and of course how hard and often you strike the head. I recommend just using a patch and then using whatever beater type you want. I've used all the patches out there and my favorite for feel and not being loud is the Evans nylon black patch. It is a softer woven material that doesn't add a higher pitched click sound to beater striking and is the quietest patch I've used from major brands. It also doesn't add more bounce to the beater like the harder patch types which really helps with the already bouncy nature of mesh bass pads. If you use a felt beater on the evans black nylon it will wear out sooner than if you used plastic and will leave white marks, but besides that its a great overall patch unless absolute durability is a concern. You can also use moleskin type material that works well for softer feel and low volume but it doesn't tend to hold up as well and needs more replacing.

Evans patch
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EQPB2

Comment

• Originally posted by drumlab84 View Post
      I've used all the patches out there and my favorite for feel and not being loud is the Evans nylon black patch. It is a softer woven material that doesn't add a higher pitched click sound to beater striking and is the quietest patch I've used from major brands.
      How do the patches attach? Adhesive, I'd assume. Will it stick to the mesh head well? Is it removable? Thanks for your help.

Comment

• the evans patch is what i use it is cloth but last a very long time, i just placed one on my 20" A to E kick drum and definitely helps with bounce issue and also feels more solid impact.
        the patches have self adhesive on them.
        Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500,
        BBE Sonic Maximizer

Comment

• It has adhesive already attached to it and is very easy to apply. The adhesive is strong enough to attach and is easily removable. In my experience the Remo patches have stronger adhesive, but are more prone to leave adhesive on mesh. The Evans nylon patch adhesive isn't as strong, but is easier to remove if needed and is strong enough to stay on head. You can't really go wrong with any of the patches and you just apply where beater will strike the center.

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyKay View Post
            Any idea if/when Alesis will offer the Strike cymbals as separate items?
            Not sure about individual , but it will take a while, same for seperate module release not under 6 month to one years.
            Last edited by Chris K; 05-17-17, 08:50 AM.
            Regards
            Chris K

DW Collector Drum, Roland TD-15\VST Powered, Spd-SX, Yamaha Pmc1 midi brain

Comment

• New video!

https://youtu.be/qwHI-cnX8VU

Comment

• Originally posted by drumlab84 View Post
                You can get away with not using a patch on mesh heads as long as its not a felt beater. You will eventually wear down a mesh head even if using wood, plastic or rubber beater types....however this will happen very slowly. This all depends on mesh head used, head tension, beater head type, angle and position when striking mesh head and of course how hard and often you strike the head. I recommend just using a patch and then using whatever beater type you want. I've used all the patches out there and my favorite for feel and not being loud is the Evans nylon black patch. It is a softer woven material that doesn't add a higher pitched click sound to beater striking and is the quietest patch I've used from major brands. It also doesn't add more bounce to the beater like the harder patch types which really helps with the already bouncy nature of mesh bass pads. If you use a felt beater on the evans black nylon it will wear out sooner than if you used plastic and will leave white marks, but besides that its a great overall patch unless absolute durability is a concern. You can also use moleskin type material that works well for softer feel and low volume but it doesn't tend to hold up as well and needs more replacing.

Evans patch
                https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EQPB2
                Plus 1 on the Evans patch. I have used those for over a decade. Kick drum mesh heads are expensive, the patch is cheap. It is a No Brainer to use a patch on the Kick mesh head, IMO. J
                I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
                Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Powered by the TD-50 and 2ea. 2Box modules, drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

• Boys! I received my kit. I am happy!

Comment

• Has any tried VSTs with the strike and see if all CC# notes for the hi hat work? Like 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 open. Im debating getting the strike if it will play like a Roland vh11.

Comment

• I've always had the Evans patch start curling on me and coming up on the edges on hart magnum heads, I use a double beater patch,, last one I got was an Aquarian , they are very sticky and hasn't budged
                      Hart Pro Kit with Roland Cymbals, TD-50 Digital pack,Superior drummer New York Studios. Makie Thump 15s, presonus i two.

Comment

• Hi Guys...

This is a great video.... Strike Pro with Drum Tec 18" bass drum....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKDsf6n1ZL4

Thanks Drum-tec!!!

Comment

• the strike is sounding pretty good! finally a great sounding / looking kit for a great price. i am pretty sure i will buy the module someday for my 2nd diy kit.
                          Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500,
                          BBE Sonic Maximizer

Comment

• If i didn't already have a kickass a to e i would probably buy a strike kit
                            updated td9 brain,vh11, cy12c/r, cy15r, cy13c/r, axis long boards double pedal,pearl export drum shells with roland mesh heads,ddrum trigger on floor tom & roland rt30k trigger on kick drum,quartz trigger harness in upper toms and snare

Comment

• Well, my replacement ride cymbal arrived last night. Plugged it in, and that problem is now solved. I'm waiting on my audio interface to arrive, so I can start recording.

Dealing with Alesis support was fairly painless. The first contact, troubleshooting indicated it was a problem with the "cable snake" and they sent me one right away. When that didn't solve it, I contacted them again, and additional troubleshooting showed it was probably the ride. They shipped that one right away, too. No questions. No begging. Nothing at all like Comcast.

Next step is to rearrange a bunch of furniture, so I can actually walk through my living room. :-)

Comment

• I do not know if they have said it before, but the one who buys the pro kit, al armalo, has the option of using the short spars and storing the long ones. In this way, the surface that the armed kit occupies is considerably smaller.

Comment

Working...
                                X