This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by scheinriese View Post

I don't think so. I guess it just sells badly. No wonder if you see what they do with their customers... Reputation gets worse and worse...

BTW: I'm done with ATV and the aD5 - too many let-downs in a row...
    I just bought a used TD-30 module for a good price on ebay. Looking out for the MIMIC Pro to come out in Europe, if it's good I'll buy it, if not I'll keep the TD-30.
    At last I got back using VSTs with the aD5 because of lacking usable sounds but for that purpose the TD-30 suits better in my opinion (more inputs, rimshot sounds on toms, etc.).
    I also ordered a new drumset from Jobeky.

Bad for me that the price for the aD5 is lowered so I would get even less money than I expected. So unfortunately maybe I'm forced to keep the aD5 as a backup or so...
    What did you want to say about their bad réputation and relasionship with their customers???

Comment

• Originally posted by Mikevdrums View Post

What did you want to say about their bad réputation and relasionship with their customers???
      Just take a look at some of my posts in this thread and you will see what I mean.
      You'll get a history of false promises and disappointments...

Edit: OK, so here's my short history with ATV and the aD5:

June 29, 2016: bought the aD5 based on the mostly good reviews
      Info on drum-tec website (this is STILL online): "ATV bietet in Ihrer Online Open Drum Library eine ständig wachsende Auswahl an qualitativ höchstwertigen Drum Sets zum freien Download an. Weiterhin ist die Zusammenarbeit mit einer führende VST Drum Library geplant, so dass die Entscheidung für ATV aD5 Drummodul wirklich "one step beyond" bedeutet, ein Schritt in eine neue Welt der Drum Sounds Open Library."

July 2016: ATV told me, that "ATV will launch 5 new kits and at least one percussion kit in October. At the same time we will launch the web-store were you can download all kits and updates to your aD5." The "update 1.1 is lined up for the end of this month."

"All our sampled kits and sounds will be free of charge."

I'm having issues to get my Roland VH-12 to work properly with the aD5 (I think Allan had the same problems) so I wrote to ATV, also with some other questions regarding the aD5.

August 2016: ATV: "We had planned an update for July, but we figured that it would be best to postpone this update for v.1.11, and add it together with the next one due in October - v.1.5. I know that the market is asking for new software and new sounds, we are working hard to deliver this. Expect in October a critical update on the software, and in November the official opening of the ATV marketplace for sounds." [...]
      "The VH-12 issue will be resolved on the next update."

October 2016: ATV: "Indeed we are almost launching the new ATV Online Sound Library[...]."

November 2016: ATV: "In December we will launch:Software update Version 2.0" (which was a mistake, it should have been 1.2).

"ATV SOUND STORE Opening date: The beginning of December"
      "The sounds, unfortunately, will not be free of charge, this decision was hard to make due to copyrights, and all the process of sampling that, after listening to them, you will see the investment from our part to make them sound perfect."

In another mail later in November:
      "Expect this to happen around the 20th of December." (opening of ATV Sound Store)

December 6, 2016: Update 1.2 is online. Did ATV inform their (registered!) customers: no. Was the VH-12 issue fixed: no.
      ATV website: "ATV SOUND STORE will be released late December."

Late December 2016: Still no ATV Sound Store online. ATV's official Twitter account (only available in Japanese so you have to use google translator):
      "We are waiting for you, ATV SOUND STORE, but it became difficult to publish within the year. I apologize that I will slip in January. I am sorry for the user of aD5 that you are waiting for, but since I will do my best to make it available as soon as possible, please wait for a while."

Infos regarding the Sound Store on the American Twitter and facebook account: none. Infos via E-Mail to the registered customers: none.

January 2017: Bought used Roland TD-30.

Seems as if some dealers lowered the price for the aD5. WOW, so what would I get now for my used aD5?

Last edited by scheinriese; 01-03-17, 10:43 AM.

Comment

• Price is back on the old level. Strange.
        it was for sale at a lowered price at 2 different shops for a couple of days
        Robert

Comment

• I followed the ATV aD5 since reveal and release and most of the videos available online are in japanese language ( except for the few of Mr. Snyder ). And most infos about it online are also in japanese. I get the feeling that they focus too much on the japanese market. At the very beginning I thought it might be an interesting module, but it just did not convince me until today.
          The very most limiting for me is the cable snake with so less trigger inputs. I love modules with 16 direct trigger inputs like TD-30,50 Mimic Pro and 2Box for example.
          If ATV would reveal another high end module and change their marketing strategy it could be more interesting.
          Last edited by spitfirejoe; 01-06-17, 12:23 PM.

Comment

• Component compatibility question; please read.

I've had a little while to re-familiarize myself with an 80’s vintage DD3 snare pad and I've replaced the old Hart heavy-duty black mesh head with a new "Reaction" from Pintech. New head definitely feels better.

The 12" DD3 pad has two piezos; one fixed to underside of an 11.5" diameter, thin aluminum disk which in turn sits beneath a foam layer directly under head, ( there's another stiffer foam layer beneath the piezo plate too). The central, large plate piezo arrangement should mean no “hot spot. The 2nd piezo is fixed directly to cast metal drum body.

There are two separate XLR plugs from pad - one for head the other for rim. Instead of wasting an input channel I've set up a stereo Y splitter to run both those lines into 2Box snare input.

Head and rim-shot both work as expected. But I can only get the side-stick sound if I tap rim impossibly lightly and only in certain spots... it's very inconsistent. That issue along with the so-so cymbal sounds are my main gripe. But on top of that I find the snare hits, particularly harder hits to dead center come out sounding “hot” or over-driven. It's as I'm hearing speaker is being over-driven; spiking/clipping as if that may have happened when recording; doesn't make sense but that's exactly what it sounds like. And I can plug any of the 1 zone, 10” GoEdrum pads in there and they also do exactly the same thing.

The ATV propaganda from Mike Snyder has been fairly impressive and I'm now considering getting an ATV-aD5 and running it and the 2Box through a little mixer using various component from each. I don't want to spur a debate here about which module is better or best etc. That's a completely separate issue. What I'd like to find out right now is whether or not my DD3 snare pad will run optimally through an aD5 module, which afaik is fully Roland compatible as a result of ATV's Roland genes. So if the DD3 pad is perfectly compatible with Roland brains then DD3 pad should also work optimally with aD5 brain. At least that's how my logic sees it.

Although I'm not happy with 2Box cymbal sounds in general, I do like a number of the drum kit sounds and I like being able to use my J-Man remote high hat set-up. Overall I like the module a fair bit but honestly, I'll never use bells & whistles and electronic sound effects and othjer weirdness; I just want clean, simple and authentic sounding drums that will reproduce an acoustic kit. From what I can tell that's what the aD5 is all about, not to mention its rumoured added head room.

I've watched all the ads, promo pieces and reviews and based on that, the aD5 is totally compatible with Roland, Yamaha and selected other brand brains and I surmise that if current models of Roland snare pads are dual piezo, as is my DD3 pad, I might amount to tan impressive DD3/aD5 combo. If this old DD3 pad is a better match to current Roland than it is to 2Box, it could turn out well. What I DON'T want to do is end up with a different module which still won't properly accommodate my DD3 pad.

I know there's a lot of experience and knowledge on this board so I hope someone might offer up a bit of enlightenment/advice.

So, big question is: has anyone personal experience running a Ddrum3 pad through a Roland or aD5 module? Or, if not can you, based on your knowledge of such things, confidently guess how such a combo would likely work out; technically speaking? Will the aD5 module together with a DD3 snare pad find true happiness together? That's what I'd really like to know.

BTW, my DD3 pad is on a RIMS mount. 2Box pad selection is on 12", sensitivity at max, curve normal. Gain at 3. X-talk off. Other pads are GoEdrum 10" mesh heads with internal side-mount triggers. Everything's mounted to a GoEdum rack (Roland clone from late 90's TD-8 era.)

I appreciate your input.
            Thanks!
            Last edited by Drumster; 01-25-17, 07:31 PM. Reason: Metal disc is actually 11.5 ". Tried to upload pics but apparently they're too big.

Comment

• I think this^^ does not belong here and is for a new, dedicated thread.
              To try to answer your question, from what I know, the 2Box detection with dual zone pads works very different then a Roland. In 2box the two zones are treated as completely separate, so a cross talk between the two piezos is not tolerated. On a Roland at the other hand, there must be certain amount of cross-talk between the two, otherwise the rim zone won't trigger at all! That level can be adjusted in settings on the Roland module so one can fine tune the ratio between the two so that the triggering between zones it correct.
              My assumption is that in your case there is too much cross talk and so when you hit the rim, the head piezo gets triggered as well and the module just treats your hit as a head hit.
              So my assumption is that pad will work lot better with a Roland module as it is designed for that cross-talk between the zones and actually require it.
              Can't speak about the aD5 as I haven't put my hands on one, but if it has similar adjustment setting for the rim/head ratio if the pad is set to type Roland something, it should work with the pad in question.
              Last edited by pumpal; 01-23-17, 08:41 AM.
              Roland TD-15
              TAMA MetroJam2 TRB A2E

Comment

• Dear Mike Snyder , is there any News related to the new sounds release?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

• Originally posted by scheinriese View Post

Just take a look at some of my posts in this thread and you will see what I mean.
                  You'll get a history of false promises and disappointments...

Edit: OK, so here's my short history with ATV and the aD5:

June 29, 2016: bought the aD5 based on the mostly good reviews
                  Info on drum-tec website (this is STILL online): "ATV bietet in Ihrer Online Open Drum Library eine ständig wachsende Auswahl an qualitativ höchstwertigen Drum Sets zum freien Download an. Weiterhin ist die Zusammenarbeit mit einer führende VST Drum Library geplant, so dass die Entscheidung für ATV aD5 Drummodul wirklich "one step beyond" bedeutet, ein Schritt in eine neue Welt der Drum Sounds Open Library."

July 2016: ATV told me, that "ATV will launch 5 new kits and at least one percussion kit in October. At the same time we will launch the web-store were you can download all kits and updates to your aD5." The "update 1.1 is lined up for the end of this month."

"All our sampled kits and sounds will be free of charge."

I'm having issues to get my Roland VH-12 to work properly with the aD5 (I think Allan had the same problems) so I wrote to ATV, also with some other questions regarding the aD5.

August 2016: ATV: "We had planned an update for July, but we figured that it would be best to postpone this update for v.1.11, and add it together with the next one due in October - v.1.5. I know that the market is asking for new software and new sounds, we are working hard to deliver this. Expect in October a critical update on the software, and in November the official opening of the ATV marketplace for sounds." [...]
                  "The VH-12 issue will be resolved on the next update."

October 2016: ATV: "Indeed we are almost launching the new ATV Online Sound Library[...]."

November 2016: ATV: "In December we will launch:Software update Version 2.0" (which was a mistake, it should have been 1.2).

"ATV SOUND STORE Opening date: The beginning of December"
                  "The sounds, unfortunately, will not be free of charge, this decision was hard to make due to copyrights, and all the process of sampling that, after listening to them, you will see the investment from our part to make them sound perfect."

In another mail later in November:
                  "Expect this to happen around the 20th of December." (opening of ATV Sound Store)

December 6, 2016: Update 1.2 is online. Did ATV inform their (registered!) customers: no. Was the VH-12 issue fixed: no.
                  ATV website: "ATV SOUND STORE will be released late December."

Late December 2016: Still no ATV Sound Store online. ATV's official Twitter account (only available in Japanese so you have to use google translator):
                  "We are waiting for you, ATV SOUND STORE, but it became difficult to publish within the year. I apologize that I will slip in January. I am sorry for the user of aD5 that you are waiting for, but since I will do my best to make it available as soon as possible, please wait for a while."

Infos regarding the Sound Store on the American Twitter and facebook account: none. Infos via E-Mail to the registered customers: none.

January 2017: Bought used Roland TD-30.

Seems as if some dealers lowered the price for the aD5. WOW, so what would I get now for my used aD5?

So other than the ongoing false promises & whatnot, how did you like the aD5's performance, dynamics and realism etc? I agree their marketing and other aspects leave a great deal to be desired but I'd like to hear about whatever you DID like. Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drumster View Post

So other than the ongoing false promises & whatnot, how did you like the aD5's performance, dynamics and realism etc? I agree their marketing and other aspects leave a great deal to be desired but I'd like to hear about whatever you DID like. Thanks.
                    Pros:
                    - Latency/Playability/Triggering (except VH-12 hihat)
                    - Dynamics
                    - Easy Setup
                    - Cymbal Sounds (although a few people say they're too much "in your face")
                    - No fancy sounds/drumkits
                    - Compatibility with different hardware manufacturers(Roland, Yamaha, drum-tec,...)

Cons:
                    - ATV information policy
                    - Marketing
                    - Customer relationship
                    - not enough layers/articulations
                    - Just one usable hihat
                    - not enough kits (5)
                    - high price regarding of what you get
                    - resale value
                    - cable snake, no dedicated inputs on module
                    - one stereo output only
                    - not enough inputs
                    - most of the preinstalled kits sound "too acoustic", lacking of punch, they don't cut through the mix very well without further enhancements
                    - no rim sounds on toms, although the cables are all stereo, so you also can't split the inputs for additional instruments
                    - VH-12 doesn't work properly, although officially supported (even recommended in the manual!) by ATV
                    - no effects
                    - no tuning / muffling / etc.
                    - no metronome (!)
                    - no extras (recording, songs to jam with, etc.)
                    - compatibility with VSTs (out of the box, mapping presets, etc.), initially I bought it not wanting to use VSTs anymore, but the lacking of usable sounds kept me going back using them

Comment

• I still can't believe that they recorded such a professional drum sounds
                      and use only a few layers from it in this module
                      I think they preserve the best sounds for a new module later this year
                      and/or sell those sounds in their online shop for a lot of money
                      The old Roland owner is a sly fox business man
                      Robert

Comment

• Originally posted by puttenvr View Post
                        I still can't believe that they recorded such a professional drum sounds
                        and use only a few layers from it in this module
                        I think they preserve the best sounds for a new module later this year
                        and/or sell those sounds in their online shop for a lot of money
                        The old Roland owner is a sly fox business man
                        Methinks you could be on to something there. No matter what the promo lines say - I'm definitely hearing a lack of adequate sampling on the aD5 videos. "automatic weaponry".

Comment

• I played the new DW kit at NAMM and it was very good. Much smoother and sounds like more samples.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drumster View Post

Methinks you could be on to something there. No matter what the promo lines say - I'm definitely hearing a lack of adequate sampling on the aD5 videos. "automatic weaponry".
                            Don't make the mistack of selling 2box for this, you will regret it, sound should follow playability with the current 1 to 127 midi notes velocity level. If you have only few sample layers, what will happens, outside the sound limitations, it's only the volume of the sample will change, 4 from the 1 to 127 range, 2 is even worst, 1 total machine gun drum machine.
                            Last edited by Chris K; 01-28-17, 01:57 PM.
                            [www.mimicpro.com ][ www.dwdrums.com ] [www.zildjian.com]

Comment

• After an exhausting search, I decided on the ad5 a few month back. Bought it with the Yamaha dtx 700/900 pad set. I was on a mission to not give up my acoustic drum sounds and wanting the versatility of varied kits for live performance. After using them for a few months, this is what I have discovered.

There is NOTHING like this product on the market. When I sit down and play it is like playing my dw's sans the exact feel. I would have payed twice what I did (which ironically is how much the Roland TD-50 would have cost me)!

i tried the TD-30 and the TD-50 and you could not give them to me! I am not saying those are bad products, their not. I'm just saying that they don't hold a candle to the ad5 when it come to real drum sound creation.

Yeah, I've read the gripes, doesn't have all the synth sounds, etc.... The complaining about the store being up yet......

Guys (and gals), it's a new company. These things take time. I would much rather it be done right than in a hurry. After just attending NAMM 2017 and hearing some of the totally real new sounds (including my beloved dws), you realize quickly that good things are worth waiting for. Oh, did I mention their new pad kit coming in August?

As as a drummer of more than 50 years (and an electrical engineer which gives me some understanding of what it takes to design and build this kind of product), I am totally blown away by how REAL this product sounds. IMHO, NOTHING else comes close! You owe it to yourself to check it out and feel free to contact me if you have any specific questions as to my experience with the ad5.

Enjoy, I know I am!

Tom B.

And, thanks to Mike Snyder for turning me on to this amazing product!

Comment

• You must be Mike Snyder.s brother
                                No, joke
                                Thanks for the review
                                Good to hear other opinions as well and people that played rhe kit instead of listen to videos only
                                Robert

Comment

Working...
                                X