Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official ATV aD5 Discussion Topic

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is NAMM today???

    Comment


    • Originally posted by KennyinDundee View Post
      Is NAMM today???
      It starts Thurs. 1-21-2016
      I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
      Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Powered by the TD-50, 2Box modules,(Mimic coming), drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

      Comment


      • I really wanted to win that huge lotto so I could put all these guys out of business for ignoring our requests for the past decade. lol
        Alan
        _________________________________________
        visit my website: http://www.vexpressionsltd.com/

        Comment


        • jpsquared482,

          I'll write this briefly so as not to derail the thread further. Seemingly, threads of new products often end up at discussions of disappointment with the electronic drum industry because we're all waiting for a company (or companies) to bring a different mindset to the table. It's exciting to see new products, however, at this stage, the continued lack of innovation and stagnation in the electronic drum industry is hugely frustrating. I keep hoping someone will come out with something truly interesting and revolutionary, but I don't see it in any of the products released recently. Let's hope this next year proves me wrong! :-)

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Kabonfaiba View Post
            Not thrilled with the drums on the Metal 9000 kit.

            Actually I will say, all the cymbals are acceptable to me on the aD5, in general they have nice stereo width, sound airy and natural. But all the drums I've heard, are sub- Addictive drums 2 quality to me.

            [ATTACH=CONFIG]n1125051[/ATTACH]

            Spectrograph checks out fine, the drum parts actually peak at 17kHz which isn't bad. Compression isn't ruining this, it's just not a very hot signal.

            Nonetheless, the drum all feel very crushed (at both ends, frequency wise) robbed of any shell resonance or ringing and I'm hearing limited velocity layers, at most 3 for at peak. (Benefit of the doubt, I only heard 2 tbh) This is backed up by the fact I can't hear LFE detail in the snare through my subwoofer. Ref: all drums in most Toontrack's samples contain some LFE detail for all drums, including the snare, which my sub is happy to reveal to me, also in cymbals - but that's raw vs processed for you.

            Since this is a long version of the same recording session they did previously, I really hope to see the trigger settings sorted out, by the time we get new footage from NAMM.

            What is the spectrograph representing? 17k is a very high frequency and I doubt anyone here could hear it unless they are quite young. There are some hearing tests everypone can down load to check.

            I think the first problem is the cymbals are turned up far too loud in the module. I am wondering if this was intentional to hide the drum sample performance. I am hearing the repeating samples at max velocity.

            I think the actual drum sounds are more realistic than Roland. Hopefully they will improve the triggering.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post
              I really wanted to win that huge lotto so I could put all these guys out of business for ignoring our requests for the past decade. lol
              I had a dream, I was marketing a prototype ride cymbal that detects 7 articulations. I was at NAMM and we had 3 cymbals on a display stand, a Roland CY-15R, a Sabian 20" with a microphone above it, and our prototype 20" e-cymbal, and some headphone jacks connected to our respective future drum module. The ride detects the difference between tip and shank hits on both the bell and bow zones. Edge makes another articulation. Now if that doesn't amaze you, I get out a mallet. Yep, it detects and plays mallet hit samples without touching the module or loading a thing, it just knows... it's not innovation, it's evolution!
              ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
              Community Drum Module Document
              PA Specifications (wip)

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Peter Warren View Post


                What is the spectrograph representing? 17k is a very high frequency and I doubt anyone here could hear it unless they are quite young. There are some hearing tests everypone can down load to check.

                I think the first problem is the cymbals are turned up far too loud in the module. I am wondering if this was intentional to hide the drum sample performance. I am hearing the repeating samples at max velocity.

                I think the actual drum sounds are more realistic than Roland. Hopefully they will improve the triggering.

                That's just what I wast thinking. They boosted the cymbals and had Mike boast about how much he loves cymbals because the drums just don't "cut it".
                ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro, TD-30 triggering Superior Drummer 3.0, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

                Comment


                • Price 1300 euros
                  http://www.drum-tec.de/product_quest...oducts_id=2826
                  Robert

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by puttenvr View Post
                    Wow, that's quite a markup from the current price at http://atveurope.com/music/ad5

                    Comment


                    • That price is without VAT, but lets just wait and see for the actual street price
                      Robert

                      Comment


                      • 815 plus VAT in Germany would be 970.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by flurbs View Post
                          €815 plus VAT in Germany would be €970.
                          ...which would be around 738 in the UK, cheaper than 2Box or TD25 modules.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by KennyinDundee View Post

                            ...which would be around 738 in the UK, cheaper than 2Box or TD25 modules.

                            <sigh> - if only it was as easy as converting the rate that XE.com gives you! ;-) 799 would be the UK shop target. (More VAT, more import duty, and different historical industry arithmetic).

                            I still can't see it being that cheap, I think that the ATV website price is either just wrong, or is the trade price. The Drum-Tec pricing would tie up with that.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by flurbs View Post
                              I still can't see it being that cheap, I think that the ATV website price is either just wrong, or is the trade price. The Drum-Tec pricing would tie up with that.
                              The aD5 price tag of 815 EUR(+VAT) makes sense compared to the 2box estimate of 750 EUR for their DrumIt-3 module (at Musikmesse/15).

                              Also a competitive price for the DI-3 kit could be a concern for ATV, even if the aD5 module adapts to most current pads and cymbals.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by RhysT View Post

                                The aD5 price tag of 815 EUR(+VAT) makes sense compared to the 2box estimate of 750 EUR for their DrumIt-3 module (at Musikmesse/15).

                                Also a competitive price for the DI-3 kit could be a concern for ATV, even if the aD5 module adapts to most current pads and cymbals.
                                If the DI-3 module and aD5 are both aimed at the mid range segment and are of similar price, it will be interesting to compare them both.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X