This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by perceval View Post
    But... the lying to get a few initial customers to bite... that's pathetic.
    I'm not sure they ever said additional samples will be free. I do recall them saying they would offer single instruments rather than kits, but don't recall seeing any guarantee that additional samples will be free.
    Also, all the talk of $5 is pure speculation at this stage. We'll just have to wait a few days until the sound store opens.
    . digitalDrummer
    Review index

Comment

• Originally posted by allanjohn View Post

I'm not sure they ever said additional samples will be free. I do recall them saying they would offer single instruments rather than kits, but don't recall seeing any guarantee that additional samples will be free. Also, all the talk of $5 is pure speculation at this stage. We'll just have to wait a few days until the sound store opens.
      Several people like scheinriese got this information since the beginning, this is why they repeated here. Selling sound are more affordable with full contents in SD cards then download for covering years bandwidth, servers and web maintenance, one single SD cards will covers all their sample under 99$, mid module without editing and 5 kits, it should never reach any near flagship cost with all sound, 1$ dollars store will be fine!
      Last edited by Chris K; 11-29-16, 01:24 AM.
      Regards
      Chris K

DW Collector Drum, Roland TD-15\VST Powered, Spd-SX, Yamaha Pmc1 midi brain

Comment

• 1$ for a drum instrument sampled by a good sound engineer in a good studio is just nonsense, sorry.

Take some VST instrument packs as example.
        Usually it is $4-$5 per instrument - and you can't buy individual instruments.
        And moreover - VST market is huge, you can't compare it to edrums market directly. But even VST are $4-$5 per drum (for a good quality sounds)
        Last edited by Mr.Boo; 11-29-16, 02:14 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by allanjohn View Post

I'm not sure they ever said additional samples will be free. I do recall them saying they would offer single instruments rather than kits, but don't recall seeing any guarantee that additional samples will be free.
          Also, all the talk of $5 is pure speculation at this stage. We'll just have to wait a few days until the sound store opens.
          Well, I could show you the E-Mail(s) I got from the Marketing & Corporate Manager of ATV Europe...

Citation: "All our sampled kits and sounds will be free of charge."

His excuses in the last mail I got:
          "The sounds, unfortunately, will not be free of charge, this decision was hard to make due to copyrights, and all the process of sampling that, after listening to them, you will see the investment from our part to make them sound perfect. Nonetheless, for the first aD5 users we will issue a coupon to download sounds from our store, because we feel that this is the right thing to do and offer to our clients. We will announce this on our dedicated channels and will explain how to proceed."

BTW: drum-tec.de still promotes that on their (german) website:

"ATV bietet in Ihrer Online Open Drum Libraryeine ständig wachsende Auswahl an qualitativ höchstwertigen Drum Sets zum freien Download an. Weiterhin ist die Zusammenarbeit mit einer führende VST Drum Library geplant, so dass die Entscheidung für ATV aD5 Drummodul wirklich "one step beyond" bedeutet, ein Schritt in eine neue Welt der Drum Sounds Open Library."

So, now we're getting 30(!) new sounds in the upcoming store (for now). My guess is most of them will be percussion, single snares or cymbals. I highly doubt that it will be even possible to make 5 completely new kits out of them... Maybe one or two new shellsets (only guessing). I'm curious if there will be new hihats because 4 of the 5 delivered with the module are not usable at all (at least for me) due to missing articulations (no closed hihat-sounds). The 5 snares however sound better than all I've heard from the TD-50 so far, even with the layered sounds (drum-tec video).

Regarding the limitations of the module 5$ for a single sound is way too much for me.

Unfortunately if I want to sell the aD5 I won't get more than maybe a few hundred dollars (Euros in my case) - if at all... If I had known this all before I would have send the module back within the money-back-period and kept my TD-12 until the release of the MIMIC here in Germany.

Hindsight is easier than foresight...

Comment

• I can somehow understand the frustration, since I'm in a similar position on the customer end. But - working in the MI business myself - I can understand things to some extent and familiarize with decisions and processes.

Frankly, if you choose to support a (yet) smaller company instead of going for Roland or Yamaha in the first place, there's a price to pay. Period. And still, in the case of the AD5, you can be lucky: the unit is still in production.

Me, on the other side, I've invested in a MarkDrum kit. Bought additional pads and stuff. While I really love that kit, and (being versed with Audio DSPs and µC myself) knowing it pretty much inside out, I fell to the promise of the CEO to provide 50 more presets in 2013. That never happened. The Danny Gottlieb kit (came in 2 flavours) was outstanding and provided VST quality (with only the snare lacking enough layers). The added some ****ty 'eRock', 'ePop' whatever junk to fill up some space, but at least they did some more 4 or 5 really good kits. But 50? Nope.
            And the worst thing is: the kit went out of production. Which is a shame because the product is real good but was bound to fail because of non-existent marketing and the fact that small companies have a hard time surviving in this business field due to Roland's dominance. I still don't feel bad because it was 'love at first strike' and still is, and I got to know some people behind it along the way, and they're amazing.

In a nutshell: invest your money in a product of a smaller company *only* if you're sure that what you get at that exact date of purchase is all you want. Check yourself if there are still demands and issues remaining. Don't fall to promises. Don't expect things for free even if people were confident in the beginning. This world is spinning fast. Even more, be grateful if that company is still around when you need support & spare parts. That alone is worth a lot.
            MarkDrum YES e-kit (+1 crash, Double Kick), modified HH (DIY hall-sensor based circuit)
            Gibraltar 9607NL-DP Legless Hi Hat
            Gibraltar Intruder Double Pedal
            ATH-M40fs + M40x + SRH440 Phones

Comment

• I don't see this company doing so well, 1100$ for 5 mediocre kit with no editing or effects then charge 45$ per kit is just crazy. I own one and can't sell it for the life of me, be warned if you buy this the resell value is ****. Unless the do an update where you can at least edit the sounds to your liking to me it's not worth it. I'm just frustrated and disappointed, I know they keep saying this is a entry level kit but 1100$ is a lot of money to most.

Comment

• All goods words there, sascha.

I would also add:"Don't trust the salesman."
                DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH Kit Pix

My new venture: voglosounds.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr.Boo View Post
                  1$ for a drum instrument sampled by a good sound engineer in a good studio is just nonsense, sorry.

And moreover - VST market is huge, you can't compare it to edrums market directly. But even VST are $4-$5 per drum (for a good quality sounds)
                  I agree and I would pay more per sound to get what I want. Look at what it costs to add things to an acoustic set! I think the problem here is the AD5 module limitations. I wasn't interested in it at all having no editing abilities. If the Mimic is $800 more, it is still a bargain comparatively .

Comment

• Originally posted by Peter Warren View Post

I agree and I would pay more per sound to get what I want. Look at what it costs to add things to an acoustic set! I think the problem here is the AD5 module limitations. I wasn't interested in it at all having no editing abilities. If the Mimic is $800 more, it is still a bargain comparatively .
                    100% agree

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr.Boo View Post
                      1$ for a drum instrument sampled by a good sound engineer in a good studio is just nonsense, sorry.

I would agree if the Initial release had at least 15 kit and I would rather buy 5$ full instrument Multilayer\RB\editing for (Flagship Module). What is happening here is the sequel of a rushed product and trying to catch up what should be done at first, In both case It was business side (not customer side) incomplete module at release, lets get it released now "we don't have others sound" this is not professional. Now they got the new sound, they will still sell AD5 with 5 kits, again business side, not customer side! This module should have been released In 2017 with their new upcoming kit, they took another road, the easy way, with the current result. I saw at least 5 customer sell \return back this module to the store, this is directly caused from the rushed release.
                      Last edited by Chris K; 11-29-16, 02:51 PM.
                      Regards
                      Chris K

DW Collector Drum, Roland TD-15\VST Powered, Spd-SX, Yamaha Pmc1 midi brain

Comment

• Originally posted by scheinriese View Post

Software Update Version 2.0:

- Supported ATV SOUND STORE website where you can purchase additional instruments for your aD5.
                        - Supported Yamaha 3-zone cymbal pad for ride trigger input.
                        - Supported drum triggers manufactured by Roland, ddrum and 2Box.*
                        - Supported Roland BT-1 Bar Trigger Pad.
                        - Supported overwriting an existing backup file.
                        - Added Pad Level screen that you can quickly access from the home screen.
                        - Added Output Gain parameter and you’ll get +3dB output with this firmware.
                        - Fixed some minor issues.

* Supports ddrum/2Box drum triggers only for using with mesh head.
                        Those are the (2.0) specs are actually for the v1.20 firmware update due out soon. I'll try to get a closer idea of the release date and post it here. (FYI–I'm running a beta version right now.)

Mike
                        Mike Snyder

[I]http://mikesnyder.net

Comment

• The performance in this video is impressive: https://youtu.be/kLJw5WJXbWI
                          I hope the AD5 will be at NAMM so I can try it again with the new sounds. I still like the option to have EQ,compression and reverb. If you could send multitrack outputs from the AD5 that could be done on a digital mixer and saved.

Comment

• The aD5 was awarded the second place in the annual poll made by MusicRadar on the category of "Best New Electronic Percussion Products of 2016".

Hmmm... I doubt many of us from here voted for the aD5... Another prime example of marketing and not real life world experience...

Reviews and polls like this make me cringe... It's all about the packaging, but mostly hot air inside.

I didn't even look it up, but my wild guess for #1 would be the TD50... Just to keep it predictable.
                            DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH Kit Pix

My new venture: voglosounds.com

Comment

• Is this the same as like, fake news?
                              Hope nobody gets paradiddled or rimshotted over this!
                              "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

????????, TD9 side module, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

• There wasn't much to vote for, e-drum wise
                                so I would vote for the ATV Ad5 as well
                                Robert

Comment

Working...
                                X