This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by angr77 View Post
    Is always fun with new gears! It is going to be interesting to see where this is going. (It will however generate loads of posts..)
    I was just looking on the specs and reflected over the 3 inputs for the snare. Sounds interesting. I am also a bit confused...if this is a high end system...why only 2 audio outputs? If it is a low end system..OK...then it will be cheap compared to the Rolands. (But maybe the ATV RJ-45 connector have the capability to expand the outputs)

Best Regards

ANGR77
    3 inputs? I understood that there are 3 zones for the snare input. I guess it's the Yamaha way.
    Otherwise, I'm curious how they have made this "fully compatible to all brands" trick because for example ride input seems to be 3 zone but with roland cymbal pad (e.g. CY-15) you need two inputs for three zones. In pictures and video we have seen so far they have only used Yamaha ride pad. Perhaps you can change the configuration of an individual input in the settings of the module, or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Espen View Post
      Perhaps you can change the configuration of an individual input in the settings of the module, or something like that.
      I would have to guess that you can change each pad to a custom setting with a brand module list to select from and it will trigger according to that ?
      Roland TD-12 Ludwig A2E 5pc kit, VH-11
      Studio Drummer, Abbey Road 60's 70's 80's, AD2, SSD4, EZD2
      Komplete Audio 6, JBL Eon 515XT, Yamaha MG06, DAW Studio One 3

Comment

from what we see so far, I'd venture they went for middle of the road.
        They didn't want to introduce a flagship module with all the bells and whistles... and the costs associated with such a beast.
        It doesn't seem to be a low end module either, so probably in the area of TD15/25 or DTX700. Depending on features and pricing, but being compatible with "all" brands of pads, looks to me it's a module for upgrading your current kit.

Compatible is quite the extended term in e-drumming. Most companies say their pads are compatible with any module... which means at least one zone. It's nice to see that Yamaha's 3-zone ride is compatible, and may be 3 zones indeed. Because Roland uses 2 inputs to get 3 zones, it may be the ride on the aD5 will be 2 zones only. Still "compatible". Time will tell.
        DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH Kit Pix

My new venture: voglosounds.com

Comment

I think drummers looking at e-drums are so used to being disappointed by antiquated, ill-thought-out equipment that it's hard to break free of a suspicious mindset. Based on newly published specs, here's a few things about the aD5 that are triggering my suspicion:

- Crash cymbals are only two zones
          - Ride cymbal is three zone
          - Only one ride cymbal is supported
          - The only other three-zone input is the snare
          - Aux inputs are listed as two-zone
          - Zones for tom inputs are not indicated, but these would seem to be two or single zone

Sound like anyone we know? I'm glad to see only five kits, indicating that perhaps the focus is on quality sounds over quantity. However, why are such antiquated triggering / zone limitations in a new drum module, especially one that claims to break free of current limitations and claims to be compatible with current Roland and Yamaha pads? With those limitations, I don't see how this module can fully support Yamaha cymbals and pads: Yamaha snare pad is four zones, all other Yamaha pads and cymbals are three zones. I noticed something else. The only Roland cymbal used in the pictures is the ride. Given the specs, it's possible the module requires a Roland-style ride for three zone ride triggering.

Last edited by TangTheHump; 01-05-16, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Tang, you're describing a flagship model. This is clearly not it. But it still might be interesting.

Take it easy and let them come up with the module first. You can then talk about its "limitations" all you like, according to the price bracket they decide to bring this new module in.

PS. Yamaha snare is 3 zones.
            DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH Kit Pix

My new venture: voglosounds.com

Comment

Perceval,

I'm interested to see what ATV ultimately comes up with, but their corporate motto and marketing blurbs for the aD5 promise big. This thing claims to start a revolution. It's not going to revolutionize anything with the limitations that are coming out in the specs. Granted, it may sound fantastic. That would be a nice starting point, for sure. I'd happily take an existing Roland flagship kit that featured no machine gunning, no hot spots, and affordable pricing. That would be a huge upgrade right there.

About the Yamaha snare pad, yes, it's the same as the other pads in that it provides three physical zones. However, the DTX900M module inteprets these as four zones, as follows:

head = zone 1
              right side rim switch closed = zone 2
              left side rim switch closed = zone 3
              right and left side rim switches closed = zone 4

So unless the aD5 supports all those zones, it is not fully compatible with the Yamaha snare pad as users will expect.

Comment

I'm not quite sure why you guys seem so impressed. Albeit, we don't have a price point yet; but to start with, it has four less inputs than the 30. Am I the only one not really impressed with the sound? So far, it just seems very much like a Roland entry level product (or what you'd expect from a branch company), but with the velocity curves set (massively) to spline or exp. I want to know more about the samples/sound and engine before I start forming an opinion, though.
                Alan

Comment

Well I like the sounds I can hear so far on this video. So Im VERY interested in learning more about this module.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post
                    I'm not quite sure why you guys seem so impressed. Albeit, we don't have a price point yet; but to start with, it has four less inputs than the 30. Am I the only one not really impressed with the sound? So far, it just seems very much like a Roland entry level product (or what you'd expect from a branch company), but with the velocity curves set (massively) to spline or exp. I want to know more about the samples/sound and engine before I start forming an opinion, though.
                    It is hard to tell from the video,but so far it sounds more realistic than the TD30 to me. I agree the dynamics are a bit weird. I find this with many VST libraries as well. The quiet sounds are sometimes too quiet in volume compared to playing a real drumkit. A slow attack compressor can solve this or adjusting the curve .

I think the number of inputs being good or bad depends on the price . If the module is $800 then I will be happy.

Comment

Alan VEX wrote:
                      I'm not quite sure why you guys seem so impressed. (snip) Am I the only one not really impressed with the sound? So far, it just seems very much like a Roland entry level product (or what you'd expect from a branch company), but with the velocity curves set (massively) to spline or exp. I want to know more about the samples/sound and engine before I start forming an opinion, though.
                      Earlier, when I first listened to the demo on my computer speakers, I thought the snare sounded okay, the toms seemed very Roland-like, and the cymbals where the best sounds. A few minutes ago, I listed with a pair of studio headphones - Shure SRH940. Wow! What a difference! That ATV aD5 module sounds fantastic! The snare is fat, organic, and dynamic. The toms are equally fat and warm, with a nice, controlled decay somewhere between a high jazz tuning and a lower, rock tuning. Bass drum is huge and warm, with a lovely bop-style decay. The cymbals continue to be the standouts! Wow, those cymbals have so much dynamic range! And, the choke sounds are snappy and lively, with lots of complexity as they mute. There is no machine gunning anywhere. I'm not sure about hot spots because I'm not playing the pads. Still, if this is any indication of how the production module will sound, yeah... it's a TD-30 killer, a Roland V-Drums killer in general, and a game-changer, sonically. Seems to compare very favorably with 2Box. Bit of a shame the module seems aimed at the mid-range and is missing features like a mixer, individual I/O for the pads, built-in power supply, more inputs, etc. But, that said, hearing this thing through Shure SRH940 headphones reveals fantastic, lifelike, dynamic sounds that are on a whole different level than anything Roland and Yamaha currently offer. Hopefully the sound is the actual module and isn't cheating in some way. Color me impressed with the sounds!

Comment

Guys, before we get disappointed, let's see play and hear this thing...

In terms of their launch strategy, from where I sit, and I said it previously on this thread, IMHO, I don't think this is their flagship and is more likely to be "the "little brother" to something bigger/better. That would make sense for a new company. It will take some time to work out a few bugs with a new platform. They can do this with a lower market impact starting with small. They definitely don't want to disappoint anyone, but disappointing someone who paid over $1000 for a flagship module is too risky."

They make statements like "the start of a revolution". The "start" doesn't mean this module IS the revolution. It's a place for them to "start". Entering the playing field with a middle of the road module (which I believe this is intended to be) is a very smart and conservative play into an established market for a new company. As soon as we all hear it and play it, we'll all be saying, "I can't wait for the big brother" but we'll grab the little guy for now anyway. Meanwhile, they'll gain market share and will build a loyal customer base. We'll give them our feedback and that can be folded into the final development and version of the bigger brother. My prediction is the ad5 will kill everything from Roland and Yamaha at or below a TD-25 and will shake up the TD-30 market as well. Then, with a strong foothold in the market, they'll release a big brother with more multi-samples and a bigger library. At the same time Roland just might do something similar.

Just my $0.02...

Can't wait for NAMM news!
                        TD-25 and TD-11 triggering VSTs (SD 2.3, SSD4, EZDrummer2), DIY drums with Quartz and Pintech triggers, Handsonic HPD-20, JBL Eon 515XT

Comment

I also like their tag line in the video: "A natural sound like you've never experienced." Looks like a direct shot at "SuperNatural". Funny.
                          TD-25 and TD-11 triggering VSTs (SD 2.3, SSD4, EZDrummer2), DIY drums with Quartz and Pintech triggers, Handsonic HPD-20, JBL Eon 515XT

Comment

It clearly sounds like a Roland module to me.... Thats not a good starting point, You think they would want to showcase the best sounds they have to offer and if that was it then we have another dead end for me before it even starts.......
                            Last edited by yzf125; 01-05-16, 08:02 PM.
                            Roland TD-12 Ludwig A2E 5pc kit, VH-11
                            Studio Drummer, Abbey Road 60's 70's 80's, AD2, SSD4, EZD2
                            Komplete Audio 6, JBL Eon 515XT, Yamaha MG06, DAW Studio One 3

Comment

yzf125,

Originally posted by yzf125 View Post
                              It clearly sounds like a Roland module to me. That's not a good starting point. You thing they would want to showcase the best sounds they have to offer and if that was it, then we have another dead end for me before it even starts.
                              When I listened through my computer's speakers, I came to the same conclusion as you, above. However, I listened again through a pair of studio headphones. The aD5 in that demo doesn't sound anything like a Roland module. It blows any current Roland module away. Listen to the demo again through high-end cans or a hi-fi audio system. You'll be amazed at how natural and dynamic the drums sound. There is something going on with the velocity curve that isn't quite right, but apart from that this demo shows huge promise. If the demo is accurate, the aD5 is in 2Box and VST territory, not Roland territory. There is zero machine gunning anywhere in the demo and all the drums and cymbals sound acoustic and natural.

Comment

I have had a reply from the email I sent ATV asking about whether this is a sample based module. It gives absolutely nothing away!

"Dear Mr. Kenny McDonald,

This is from ATV Corporation.
                                Thank you very much for your interest in our aD5 drum module.

We would like to reply the details to you soon, but aD5 is under development, so we are not currently able to answer other than the information of aD5 on our website.

The product information and videos will be announced and frequently updated on our website.
                                Please wait for the updated information.

I hope that you like aD5.

Best regards,

ATV Corporation"

Aaaaaaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhhh please tell us more!!!

I hope this lack of information and silence from ATV isn't them hiding significant limitations.

Comment

Working...
                                X