X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by djska View Post
    http://icon.jp/archives/11201

Drummer demoing is Tommy Snyder

Can you provide the link to the video/demo? Thanks!
    TD-25 and TD-11 triggering VSTs (SD 2.3, SSD4, EZDrummer2), DIY drums with Quartz and Pintech triggers, Handsonic HPD-20, JBL Eon 515XT

Comment

Hmmm. It's certainly nice to see something truly new, but I wonder why companies are seemingly not talking to users. For example, the aD5 prototype, while nicely built, commits several obvious errors. No proper MIDI ports is a big problem because it means the module can only speak MIDI through platform specific drivers. This stops the aD5 from interfacing with a wide array of MIDI devices. No individual outs - major PITA and reliability problem. Wall wart power instead of proper, built-in power supply... yuck. No USB memory stick port. No eSATA port. No wired Ethernet (maybe wireless networking is built in?). No sequncer. No mixer on the front panel and many other dedicated faders / buttons are missing, too. Etc. Unless the aD5 sounds utterly fantastic and provides playability and sonic realism equal to or better than 2Box, it's dead in the water. And, to be honest, given it's missing a lot of interface and I/O features, I have to wonder how truly forward thinking this module is. If ATV wants to break away from the current and unfortunate doldrums associated with mid-range and lesser electronic drums, they will need to provide more than what this prototype shows.

Side note: The external SD card port is nice to see, though.
      Last edited by TangTheHump; 12-15-15, 02:31 AM.

Comment

Sorry, but you are jumping on so many conclusion without any facts that I don't even know where to start!

There is no info available, besides what we see.

Who needs a USB stick port when you have sd card port?
        I don't know any module with e-sata ports, do you?
        What do you mean no Ethernet ? Can't you see the RJ45 connector named ATV Link? That could be your multi outs. Or linking 2 modules. Or something else.
        Wall wart a problem? You saw the form factor? Not much space inside for built-in power.

I see this thing as in the same category of users as the DTX500/502 series.
        The fact it supports pretty much all the trigger pads out there tells me it is aimed at upgrading your current e-kit with a better module.
        They didn't even bother trying to produce their own pads.

If it is sampled based, and priced between a DTX500 and DTX700, then yes, it should be a hit.
        If it's not, then we'll see if it is worth it with maybe a better humanize function that gets rid of machine gunning.

But it's all conjectures until it comes out next month.
        DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH Kit Pix

My new venture: voglosounds.com

Comment

Perceval,

"Sorry, but you are jumping on so many conclusion without any facts that I don't even know where to start!"

I'm not "jumping to conclusions". Rather, I'm looking at the prototype in front of us and analyzing based on what I see. The feature set may change in future, but based on what I see here, I made some observations.

"Who needs a USB stick port when you have sd card port?"

I want a USB port or some other kind of portable media port (like eSATA) for removable storage. Perhaps the module has an internal HDD or SSD. If if does, great, but without that, the SD card becomes the secondary storage for the module - RAM being the primary (and typically non-persistent) storage. For tertiary storage (read: something I take with me, store in a drawer, make backups on, etc.), a USB or eSATA port would be great. If the module's secondary storage is actually the SD card, it's unlikely you'd want to use this for tertiary storage (too) as this disables the module and/or requires constant syncing of boot / configuration environments.

"I don't know any module with e-sata ports, do you?"

That's exactly my point. Where is the eSATA and/or other high speed removable storage port. I'm not interested in the limitations of the outdated tech we have in current modules. I want a module that provides the benefits of modern technology. For that matter, I'd like to see internal HDD / SDD ports so it's easy to load massive sample libraries. Case in point, Korg now has a built-in SDD in the Kronos series of synthesizers. Geesh! It's about darn time!

"What do you mean no Ethernet? Can't you see the RJ45 connector named ATV Link?"

The RJ45 port is labeled "Link" and seems to be for linking multiple modules together. Therefore, a port for dedicated networking is missing. Ditto on hardware MIDI ports - these are also missing in action.

"Wall wart a problem? You saw the form factor? Not much space inside for built-in power. "

I *hate* gear that uses wall wart power supplies. Let's go the opposite direction for convenience, reliability, and travel. How about a built-in, mufti-voltage, auto-voltage-switching power supply that can be used anywhere in the world? Now we're talking forward-thinking and using modern technology. This is quickly becoming a standard for pretty much all professional audio gear (outboard processors, power amps, powered speakers, digital mixers, professional synthesizers, etc.).

"I see this thing as in the same category of users as the DTX500/502 series."

Then, unless it sounds utterly phenomenal, I'd have utterly no interest in it. There are plenty of consumer-grade drum modules (featuring the limitations we've all come to hate) on the market. If all ATV does is repeat the same stuff we've already got plenty of, I see no point. I'm looking for a manufacturer to turn the electronic drum market upside down and completely re-invent the instrument. Failing that, eh... whatever. No point having yet another mediocre solution in the marketplace. Roland and Yamaha already have that space well covered and I doubt anyone will knock those two off that throne for quite some time.

"The fact it supports pretty much all the trigger pads out there tells me it is aimed at upgrading your current e-kit with a better module."

Thus far, this is the most compelling and forward-thinking feature I've seen from aD5 and ironically it is to provide backward and cross-platform compatibility that neither Yamaha nor Roland currently provide.

"If it is sampled based, and priced between a DTX500 and DTX700, then yes, it should be a hit. If it's not, then we'll see if it is worth it with maybe a better humanize function that gets rid of machine gunning."

To attract Roland users, they'll have to get rid of machine gunning and hot spots, and price the module / kit affordably. I sure hope they realize this. I'd take no machine gunning just on its own, but it would be a shame to fix that and not hot spots, both problems having plagued Roland V-Drums since their introduction. And, getting the price down to a point mere drummers can afford is a no brainer.

Anyway, I'm watching with interest. For myself, I have no interest in yet another mediocre entry in the market. The thing that most caught me about ATV is their mission statement, not so much the prototype we have before us at present. Can ATV live up to their mission statement? Time will tell. :-)

Last edited by TangTheHump; 12-16-15, 12:52 PM.

Comment

I don't see this as comparable to the DTX500. It is most likely direct competition for the TD25 . If it sounds more like samples and costs less,I will probably buy it. I am currently using a TD4 plus TD6 with a laptop because none of the modules sound good to me. USB midi is fine with me although it would have been convenient to have regular midi too. It depends how good the price is vs sound. It seems like they are making is as cost effective as possible but the build quality looks good.

Comment

Specs say SD/SDHC slot; so it must support at least 4GB as a minimum, and 32GB maximum, as per the SDHC category limit - thats my first observation.

Second, I noticed the module powered up and kit loaded without a memory card in it.

Best case scenario:
              It's like 2box, but has native support for Roland hi-hats and cymbals. There are only 5 kits, because they are the equivalent of BFD3 kits, and take up all the space it has!

Worse case scenario:
              Roland licensed and sold it's current-gen SuperNatural tech to ATV. Expect the aD5 to sound like the TD15/TD25 sonically, and the memory card is purely used to trigger single velocity wavs, i.e. SPD-SX.
              ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
              Community Drum Module Document
              PA Comparison sheet (wip)

Comment

For what it's worth, I wrote to ATV to see whether they have a video of the ad5. They replied within 24 hours (a good sign!) with:
                "This is from ATV Corporation.
                Thank you very much for your interest in our aD5 drum module.
                We would like to reply the details to you soon, but aD5 is under development, so we
                are not currently able to answer other than the information of aD5 on our website.
                The product information and videos will be announced and frequently updated on our
                website.
                Please wait for the updated information.
                We will show aD5 in the 2016 NAMM show.
                Please look forward to that.
                I hope that you like aD5."
                TD-25 and TD-11 triggering VSTs (SD 2.3, SSD4, EZDrummer2), DIY drums with Quartz and Pintech triggers, Handsonic HPD-20, JBL Eon 515XT

Comment

Thanks for writing them! And the fast answer is very consumer-friendly!
                  TD-11 with 1xPDX 100 and 2x 12" drum-tec Diabolo pads, VH-11, CY 15R, CY-8 + various VSTi's.

Comment

Don't think this has been posted here before, but their webpage now has a small video demo. Would like to know if it has positional sensing on the snare, a bit hard to tell in this video.

Sounds very promising.

Last edited by Slim; 01-05-16, 12:19 AM.

Comment

Interesting that Mike is with them. That part is promising.

Edit... Ah! It appears this is from those that left Roland. Hmmm. Wond how far this will go? I didn't realize ATV was the old Roland managing director. (I missed perceval's post)
                      Alan

Comment

It sounds more real than a TD30 so far. Definitely excited to hear more demos!

Comment

Hoping that ATV is like a break away group from Roland for those that wanted to progress down the 2box style route. Here in Australia ATV is headed up by someone very experienced ex Roland. I'm excited that they are coming with a lot of experience behind them, hoping it will be a quality product

Comment

Hope they didn't take the pricing policy of Roland. Anyway, if it's going to be better than 2Box I will get it.

Comment

So far so good! I'll be awaiting the long version of that video (since that mentioned short version!)

Hard to hear if there any machine gunning with the way he played.

And yes, if cheaper than Roland, it should be VERY interesting.

Japan is just a bit north from me...
                              DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH Kit Pix

My new venture: voglosounds.com

Comment

Is always fun with new gears! It is going to be interesting to see where this is going. (It will however generate loads of posts..)
                                I was just looking on the specs and reflected over the 3 inputs for the snare. Sounds interesting. I am also a bit confused...if this is a high end system...why only 2 audio outputs? If it is a low end system..OK...then it will be cheap compared to the Rolands. (But maybe the ATV RJ-45 connector have the capability to expand the outputs)

Best Regards

ANGR77
                                Sonor Force Stage 2007 and Sonor Safari, Roland CY8, CY15R, RT-10S&K, 2xBT-1, VH-11,-12,-13, KD-10, Quartz Triggers, Pintech Dingbat, Triggera 2x D14, D11, LectricMoo, 120MHz MegaDRUM with PS board, TD-6V, 2Box 1.3.3, Addictive Drums 2.1.6, All ADpaks, Win10 on Microsoft Surface PRO 4, Macbook, Pearl Throne Thumper, Zourman HH Conv Kit. www.zourman.com

Comment

Working...
                                X