Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PDX-6 as kick pad?

Hi

I have two left over PDX-6 pads, so I'm thinking at the possibility of using one of them as kick pad.

Anyone have already tested that?
    Can the beater damage the mesh?

Thanks

Funny, I had exactly the same ideal back in October. I still have some unused PDX-8s and I was also curious whether one of them could be used as kick pad. My TD-11 drum module accepts almost any pad as kick (PD, PDX, CY etc), so I tried it (see pics). Bottom line - I didn't like it at all. It was too bouncy and unreal, even after loosening the mesh head. And I tried both the plastic and felt side of the beater. Also, playing this PDX-8 pad as kick seemed to be noisier than KD-9 that I have.

DSC_0272.jpg DSC_0277.jpg DSC_0278.jpg DSC_0279.jpg
    My e-kit, photos and details

Comment

Hey I remember that thread, was wondering how it turned out.
      Mini-kit: TD-9 + Alesis Control Pad + Alesis Sample Pad + PDX-6 snare
      Micro-kit: Handsonic HPD-20 + an old pair of hands.
      Speakers: QSC-K10 "thumper", DBR-10 "little thumper"

Comment

"unreality", if not near unplayablility, isn't a real problem for me, I've tried real kick very few times )
        Durability is mi main concern, so I think I'm going to try.

Thanks for the answer,

Comment

Sure, Godi, give it a try for sure. I would recommend to use the plastic part of the beater, not felt. Some people claim that felt can be pretty damaging to mesh heads, just like fine sand paper? Also play a bit with mesh head tension. But also keep in mind that PDX pads were not designed for kick, at least not as a permanent solution.
          My e-kit, photos and details

Comment

Godi,

You're fortunate in that the PDX-6 and PDX-8 pads both have edge-mounted piezo triggers. Thus, when the bass drum beater hits the pad, it will not strike directly over the piezo (which is a good thing).

I would *not* try this experiment with one of Roland's center-mounted piezo mesh pads, like the PD-85, PDX-100, PD-105, PD-108, PD-125, and PD-128. Roland bass drum pads are specifically designed so the piezo is not center-mounted, thus avoiding exposing the piezo to direct strikes (and damage) from the bass drum beater. Also, the bass drum pads have thick foam pedestals dead-center, directly under where the beater contacts. The foam pedestal does two things: (1) It reduces bounce, making the pad feel and play more like a bass drum, and (2) it further protects the piezo by absorbing most of the impact of the beater and preventing the mesh head from distending overly far into the offset / edge-mounted piezo.

Comment

Ok I'll chime in here. I converted my pd-85 to a kick drum. I've been using it for about a year and have had no problems with a broken or damaged piezo. I am however, using a double pedal arrangement so the beaters are each off to one side. I filled the drum with a foam pad that I fashioned into a donut around the center piezo and then mounted it to my old kd-8 kick drum. It's detailed here.

So this all started out because I scored this sweet piccolo snare and stand for $60. Which I'm going to convert to a mesh snare. https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3880

Comment

ThePod,

Basically, in your PD-85 conversion, you've made the pad compatible with offset double bass drum beaters, but not with a single beater that hits dead center. If you look at the KD-80, for this very reason there is a large, center-mounted foam pedestal and the piezo is edge-mounted and foam protected.
                Last edited by TangTheHump; 11-26-15, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TangTheHump View Post
                  ThePod,

Basically, in your PD-85 conversion, you've made the pad compatible with offset double bass drum beaters, but not with a single beater that hits dead center. If you look at the KD-80, for this very reason there is a large, center-mounted foam pedestal and the piezo is edge-mounted and foam protected.
                  Yes, that is true. A simple solution then for a single pedal would be to make sure it was offset from the middle. Easy enough to do by clamping your pedal slightly to the side, which is exactly what I did. The main pedal is positioned such that it is also offset. As you can see by my conversion, it does not take but a few centimeters of offset to make it safe for the piezo.

Comment

Working...
                  X