Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HXM snare and cymbal short review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HXM snare and cymbal short review

So, I've had time to play with my little test samples I bought from HXM. It is a company based in Thailand (I believe, but there was a mention that the pads may be made in China) and they also produce the DM5, 6 and 8 for Alesis.

Their HD-012 caught my eye at one point while I was browsing and decided to investigate. I contacted sales/customer service and had a few exchanges before I decided to give their snare and HH pads a try. They told me the pads would work perfectly with my Yamaha module (which is almost never fully supported by any other company than Yamaha!).

The exchange was very pleasant, finally I wired some money via Western Union, ... 5 days later, I had a box delivered! Pretty good!

So, here we go...

The HH pad.

When I saw the Youtube video of the kit in action, I was very much impressed by the looks of the cymbals. I already have three PCY135 and a 155 for ride, but I am always on the lookout for a nice looking splash / effect cymbal. So, they mentioned the HH was 8" and decided to pick that one.

It IS gorgeous. The finish and quality is unheard at this price point (cost me about $70). The top part is a shiny plastic, and the trigger area is a hard rubber.
    First impression was... it is heavier than it looks! Which is a good thing in my book. I hate how very light cymbals trigger and feel under a hit. So, i was pleasantly surprised.

One thing thought... it is about 10" in sizing... not 8"

Interestingly, the shiny part doesn't pick up finger smudges! It stays nice and shiny, even after taking it on and off my kit about 5 times.
    There is no rotation stopper thingy. The cymbal mounting hole is off centered, triggering pad area being bigger, it stays, more or less, down. It will rotate a bit, but mostly stays down.

The triggering is excellent. It is a single zone cymbal with no choke... although the construction implies it has choke possibilities, but it didn't while using my Yamaha module.

They have 12" and 14" cymbals for crashes (2 zones) and ride (3 zones). I didn't try them of course, but I would have no problem ordering a few if I needed them.

The snare pad.

While I was exchanging emails, there was a mention of the snare pad being 12"... I got really excited.
    When it got here, I figured something was lost in translation. Yes, the pad overall is about 12", but the playing white area is about 8.5". Oops!

The pad feels exactly like a hard rubber practice pad. Hitting noise is just like a practice pad as well... so a little louder than mesh. One thing is that my sticks "buzz" a little more on this pad, than on a mesh pad. It might be uncomfortable in the long run... I'll come back on that when I have a few more hours of playing on it.

Plugged it in the snare input of the module and Voila! 3-zone snare "a la Yamaha"! Pretty cool! There is a half circle line on the bottom of the pad, indicating where the rimshot switch is. The rest of the rim triggers the sidestick sound.

The pad triggers very well, from light to hard hits, ghost notes and all, whether I play on the head part, cross stick or rimshot triggers. Triggers very well indeed. Made me think about how Yamaha modules like reflection plate triggering, instead of the Roland's piezo and foam cone. My side mounted piezo/foam snare DIY does not trigger as well as the HXM pad. I will be thinking about a DIY solution in the same line of the onHead pads, or even Nfuzd. I would much prefer a genuine Yamaha TCS snare pad, but these things are over $600 each here... kinda insane if I want to add a snare and 4 toms, as my kit is set up at the moment!

I would love to add the HXM snare pad on my kit, as a snare, but I have been playing on a 14" DIY snare, so going to 8.5" feels so cramped... and kinda weird looking on my kit too!

I will probably install it as an effect pad on my kit, since I have an extra 3-zone input on my module, which would give me a cowbell, a splash and a china... pretty cool!

DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
    Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Many thanks for sharing for your thoughts on these pads. The hihat does look nice from your photos but the snare is just too small as I too play a 14" converted acoustic snare.

I wonder how they would trigger with a Roland module.

Comment

They told me they have a cable that makes their pads compatible with Roland modules.

Comment

A cable that does that? Do yamaha and roland both not use the same trs cables?

Comment

FYI; HXM Official Site: http://www.hxw-music.com/en/pros/Sma...-06-04/17.html

Comment

Originally posted by KennyinDundee View Post
            A cable that does that? Do yamaha and roland both not use the same trs cables?
            Apparently their pads are piezo-switch-switch rather then piezo-piezo. They maybe thought of a way to translate their rim switch to a piezo signal (just guessing)...as is (without the adapter in question) I don't think it would work as dual zone for Roland even though the cable with of course fit. If such adapter exists and works good, it would also mean one can use an Yamaha silicone pad with their Roland if they wanted .. The other way around is long ago possible (to translate piezo to a switch using simple schematic).
            1982 TAMA Superstar

Comment

Originally posted by kktkhor View Post

Now I see the confusion... it's easy to get confused with the Chinese market!

HXM is from Thailand

HXW is from China.

So, the site provided in the link above is not the same as the items I got from Thailand.

It's easy to see the pads are completely different on the Chinese site from the products I showed here in this thread.

So, I decided to keep the small cymbal to fit it between my ride and rack post, and the 3-zone pad as an effect pad, placed right above and in between tom1 and tom2. Pretty cool as I now have a cowbell, a splash and a china from the same pad! Now it's just sooooo white, compared to my 3-year old XM mesh which is now yellow... perhaps I can bleach the meshes back to white!

The pad is indeed a piezo-switch-switch trigger, and it works perfectly with Yamaha as is.
              The company told me there is a cable to make it compatible with 2-zone head-rim Roland style, but I don't know why someone would go from a mesh pad to a hard rubber pad.

Comment

Rubber pad no, but if the adapter they have works, one may want to use it with an Yamaha silicone pad (for whatever reason). Anyway, it would be a good option to exists. Maybe it is a simple e-switch based on a transistor that shortly connects the head piezo to the ring of the jack when the rim switch shortens, though I am not positive it will work like that .. interesting how they do it if it works..
                Last edited by pumpal; 08-14-15, 10:37 AM.
                1982 TAMA Superstar

Comment

Oops, my bad

Comment

Any idea if these HXM cymbals are available for sale in Europe?
                    2Box DrumIt 3 on a Linko acoustic kit, converted from A to E with Drum-TEC real feel and other mest heads, 2Box Trigit triggers, Triggera Snare trigger, Lemon cymbals (also my new venture at https://vybedrums.nl), Superior Drummer 2, BFD3, Steinberg UR22MKII, MacBook Pro, Mackie Thump 15, Taye Pro X acoustic set waiting to be converted :)

Comment

Same cymbals as the Drumit 3 kit.

Might look for that.

Comment

For the DrumIt 3 searchlight kit I can not find them as separate cymbals and I don't need an entire set right away.
                        And I expect that the price goes up once there is a 2Box logo on the cymbals.

So, wanting to try 1 single HXM cymbal as an extension to my current set. I know they are also sold through Alibaba from China, but sending them to Europe is quite pricey.
                        2Box DrumIt 3 on a Linko acoustic kit, converted from A to E with Drum-TEC real feel and other mest heads, 2Box Trigit triggers, Triggera Snare trigger, Lemon cymbals (also my new venture at https://vybedrums.nl), Superior Drummer 2, BFD3, Steinberg UR22MKII, MacBook Pro, Mackie Thump 15, Taye Pro X acoustic set waiting to be converted :)

Comment

Working...
                        X