No announcement yet.

Any News On The 2Box Drumit Three?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not bad! Beefy. Very processed though. I was wondering did they use some post processing. Interesting to hear other signature kits as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by walkinded View Post
      Randy Black playing his signature kit with the drumit 3:
      They must really hate roland, not a single piece of gear from them....
      soon there will be vids with other brands.. (he says in other vid..) ..127 layers on the snare, that's pretty good.. wonder if all sounds are .dsnd format too ..

Comment

• Ugh, that Randy sound is underwhelming. An overcompressed snare drenched in too much 90s-style reverb, along with cymbals that were miced up so close that they come in almost completely mono. It doesn't sound like a homogenic instrument at all. If you close your eyes you can clearly spot a midi instrument because everything is so 'small' and isolated.
        MarkDrum YES e-kit highly modified (DIY hall-sensor based hihat, low-volume trigger cymbals, 16" DIY kick, 12" DIY snare + tom 3), Triggera 10" splash
        Gibraltar 9607NL-DP Legless Hi Hat, Intruder Double Pedal
        Shure SE215 in-ears w. CustomArt silicone tips

Comment

• minnemann and phillips kit should sound different from a metal style kit .. ..so i'm still curious..
          Last edited by Ericdrumz; 02-20-18, 04:54 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by silot View Post

I see 695 on the site not 579.17 and does anybody know if there is going to be a complete drum kit together with the Drumit3?
            If you're looking from within the UK then the webshop will show the full 695 selling price. If you're looking from the US then the VAT won't apply so the webshop is stripping it out to the net (un-taxed) price of 579.19

Comment

• Originally posted by sascha View Post
              Ugh, that Randy sound is underwhelming. An overcompressed snare drenched in too much 90s-style reverb, along with cymbals that were miced up so close that they come in almost completely mono. It doesn't sound like a homogenic instrument at all. If you close your eyes you can clearly spot a midi instrument because everything is so 'small' and isolated.
              I think that's the sound of the completed song so I don't think the raw kit on the module sounds like this.

Comment

• Originally posted by sascha View Post
                Ugh, that Randy sound is underwhelming. An overcompressed snare drenched in too much 90s-style reverb, along with cymbals that were miced up so close that they come in almost completely mono. It doesn't sound like a homogenic instrument at all. If you close your eyes you can clearly spot a midi instrument because everything is so 'small' and isolated.
                I agree and I think this is the key area that the 2box will mostly likely suffer from in the beginning*. Steven Slate also mentioned this point specifically.

It's a vital difference between module playing a harmonious sampled ekit, and module just playing samples. Amount of layers is only one part of the equation.

*Until mods
                ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
                Community Drum Module Document
                PA Specifications (wip)

Comment

• I agree that Randy Black kit demo is underwhelming. Fortunately, I've heard what 2Box can do with other kits, so I'm not that worried about one bad sounding kit. I'm surprised I don't know the following, but truth be told I don't! Are 2Box samples mono, stereo, or multi-channel? Is the channel count any different in DrumIt Five versus DrumIt Three? Just to be ultra clear, by "channel count" I mean individual audio channels / microphone sources, not sample layers and not articulation zones. The 2Box modules have 127 sample layers for each articulation zone, but what I want to know is how many channels are at each layer. Thanks in advance to anyone who knows! :-)
                  Last edited by TangTheHump; 02-20-18, 01:38 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TangTheHump View Post
                    I agree that Randy Black kit demo is underwhelming. Fortunately, I've heard what 2Box can do with other kits, so I'm not that worried about one bad sounding kit. I'm surprised I don't know the following, but truth be told I don't! Are 2Box samples mono, stereo, or multi-channel? Is the channel count any different in DrumIt Five versus DrumIt Three? Just to be ultra clear, by "channel count" I mean individual audio channels / microphone sources, not sample layers and not articulation zones. The 2Box modules have 127 sample layers for each articulation zone, but what I want to know is how many channels are at each layer. Thanks in advance to anyone who knows! :-)
                    Drumit3 is the same engine as Drumit5 sound hardware, with 4 individual out.

2box are stereo, no multi-channel microphone, 2box is a stereo wav player, no editing for individual eq, no compression, the global fx are inside are basic echo, flangers, eq that no one mostly use. (If they would include multichannel mic, with their format wav, you will end up, way much more then 4gb per individual kits and would not even run.

127 layers is misleading, its 127 wav total not layers, in reality it's layer +round robin, obviously 2box trow all sample in a row, you can have 16 layers x 8 round robin, you will reach 127 sample\wav not layers.

Articulation for snare are all 2, center\rimshots except 4 new kits, Ride 3. No position sensing sound articulation included.
                    Last edited by Chris K; 02-20-18, 02:51 PM.

Comment

• In theory, if you can sample a drum or cymbal with 127 different velocities then you basically can have 127 layers with no round robins.

2Box samples are stereo. They actually sound different if you route them just from one output versus stereo output. This is audible especially with snares.

Comment

• Originally posted by Espen View Post
                        In theory, if you can sample a drum or cymbal with 127 different velocities then you basically can have 127 layers with no round robins..
                        2box use neighborhood algo right as option? randomly play wav sample on the same velocity.
                        Last edited by Chris K; 02-20-18, 02:45 PM.

Comment

• Chris K and Espen,

Got it. Stereo samples. Thanks! And yes, I understand what Chris is saying about the 2Box round robin algorithm. 2Box does not use separate windows of samples at each velocity layer. Instead, they choose (pseudo-randomly) from layers below and above, so in this sense you lose layers. Still, 2Box samples use more layers than pretty much anyone else (including VST libraries), and you can hear this in the results. 2Box may not have the imaging of multiple microphone sources, but when set up correctly, dynamic transitioning between layers is very smooth.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris K View Post
                            127 layers is misleading, its 127 wav total not layers, in reality it's layer +round robin, obviously 2box trow all sample in a row, you can have 16 layers x 8 round robin, you will reach 127 sample\wav not layers.
                            I might have been sleeping in school...but what is the logics behind to say that 127 wave files in a row is not the same as 127 layers in a row.

My sample of the Ludwig Black Beauty snare from 1920s have like 123 layers of the head sample. Yes...it was the same amount of wave files to generate the layers...selecting samples from over 1000 hits.

I have have never heard about that 2box would use 16 layers times 8 round robins...I would guess 1 round robin picking from a neighborhood of 127 layers.

But I could be wrong...

Anders / www.zourman.com / Great samples for 2box

Pearl CrystalBeat and Sonor Safari, Roland CY-14/13R/15R/12CR, RT-10x,2xBT-1,VH-11/12/13 & KD-10, Quartz, Pintech Dingbat, Triggera D14,D11, ATV AD-h14, 120MHz MegaDRUM with PS board, 2box 5&3, dd4SE, TD-9, Addictive Drums 2.1.8. All ADpaks, Microsoft Surface PRO, Macbook, Pearl Throne Thumper, Zourman HH & Ride Conv Kit www.zourman.com

Comment

• Originally posted by angr77 View Post

I might have been sleeping in school...but what is the logics behind to say that 127 wave files in a row is not the same as 127 layers in a row.
                              In the term of most regular VST use layers + round robin on the same velocity, example Superior3 use 25 layers velocity + round robin on each layer velocity, hitting on 127 velocity each times could occurs machine gunning if sample are not alternating on the same velocity. 2box Neighborhood is probably doing the same things to compensate, or there would be evident machine gunning.
                              Last edited by Chris K; 02-20-18, 06:24 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jpsquared482 View Post

$812 after the exchange rate, shipping included, isn't bad, right?
                                Actually, I made a mis-calculation. The final price in USD for me was:
                                671 euros + 25 euros for shipping
                                Final price: 696 euros
                                Conversion rate: 0.777
                                Final price: $896.

I may end up cancelling the order, as I need to simplify my GAS - at least in the foreseeable future. If anyone is interested in picking it up PM me and I'll hold off on the cancellation.

JP
                                ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

Working...
                                X