Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

ADVICE/PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!
See more
See less

Handsonic owners unite! Post tips, tricks and problems on this thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handsonic owners unite! Post tips, tricks and problems on this thread.

I've been playing the HPD-10 with a trio. I just received the HPD-20. Here's a short review:

The SuperNATURAL sound engine is a big step up. The cymbals in particular went from "meh" to outstanding. I had bought the 20 so I could upload my own cymbals as .wav files but I'm so happy with the cymbal library that uploading has gone to the back of the line. Using the ability to blend from the middle to the edge of the pad all my ride cymbals are at M2 with the ping in the middle, the edge sound on the edge and the difference at maximum.

On the 10 I had a set of drums I was fairly happy with. On the 20 I love the wood, open and solid toms and have built a user kit around each. With all the tweaking that can be done I expect to have 6 or 8 drum kits that I'll rotate while playing live. The brush sounds have become usable with the ability to swish with one hand while accenting with the other but it's a shame they didn't take full advantage of the Handsonic triggering capabilities to make brushes far more. Having snare buzz as a second sound of toms and bass on several library kits was a good effect but I deleted it in favor of A and B pad sounds being the same but with muffling and pitch bend changes with increased vaolume.

The 20 is shorter and narrower than the 10 and still works on a snare stand, albeit with basket arms swiveled 180 degrees.

The menu system is much easier to use. Actually having 100 spaces for user kits is necessary, about time. Doubling the library of instruments was a resounding success in that there seem to be a lower percentage of "unusable" instruments.

These few thoughts hit some of the most important issues for how I use the HPD-20 but barely scratch the surface of it's possibilities. I'll be a happy guy bing able to use the 20 live instead of the 10.
    Handsonic 10 with KD-9 kick pad and Boss FS-5U
    acoustic kits:
    '96 Pork Pie custom lacquer '93 Slingerland emerald green lacquer
    '79 Gretsch walnut lacquer '65 Slingerland red satin flame

The HPD-20 allows each pad to trigger two different instruments. On many of the library drum kits the second instrument on the toms and bass drum is "snare buzz" which emulates an acoustic kit by being much quieter than the main instrument, increasing in volume along with it. Many different effects can be achieved by making both the A and B instruments the same but differentiating their settings.

I used to tune my toms with a higher pitched batter head and a lower pitched resonant head. This causes the tom to change pitch from the attack to the decay. I set my B instrument to pitch bend to emulate this tuning and by using the Layer setting Velo Fade I get a pure "both heads tuned the same" tone at low volumes and pitch shift becomes more apparent as the volume increases.

Similarly, for pitched instruments, with the B instrument tuned up to the fifth of the A instrument a pad can be set to produce a power chord.
    Last edited by Sequimite; 05-17-15, 11:04 AM. Reason: typo
    Handsonic 10 with KD-9 kick pad and Boss FS-5U
    acoustic kits:
    '96 Pork Pie custom lacquer '93 Slingerland emerald green lacquer
    '79 Gretsch walnut lacquer '65 Slingerland red satin flame

Comment

That sounds great Sequimite, especially considering how lousy the kit sounds are in Roland's Octapad SPD30. I wish you could use sticks on a Handsonic but it is a no-no.
      __________________________________________________ _____
      Always seeking a compact one-piece solution to electronic drumming.

Comment

Originally posted by thebarak View Post
        I wish you could use sticks on a Handsonic but it is a no-no.
        Mallets are OK if that makes a difference to you.

ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

Originally posted by jpsquared482 View Post

Mallets are OK if that makes a difference to you.
          This is interesting. I wasn't aware that mallets were acceptable. I've been wanting to add a multi-pad to my TD-12 for occasional percussion sounds (tambourine, cowbell) and was leaning towards the Handsonic over the Octapad because it could also be used as a dedicated hand drum. Like Sequimite, I've been considering the HPD-20 by itself for small acoustic settings. However, I was surprised to learn that Roland does not recommend playing the HPD-20 with sticks. I wasn't intending to hit it hard, like I do with my e-kit pads, but I certainly don't want to use sticks if this could cause damage to the unit. If mallets are OK, then I may reconsider.
          Roland TD-12, Pearl DRX-1 tom and snare pads, Roland PD-8 pads for cymbals, DW pedals and stands, Pearl and Gibraltar hardware

Comment

Sorry, Doug, I know I found a source somewhere that stated mallets can be used on the Handsonic but definitely not sticks, but I can't find it. I'll hunt down my manual. IMHO, light mallet playing should be fine, and it's the sharp intense pressure that sticks generate that you need to avoid.
            ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

fwiw, I've used sticks on my HPD-10, and in a live setting. Now, I was careful not to hit too hard, but I did have to play with dynamics and the 10 handled it just fine. It might not be recommended, but I don't think the sensors are going to die unless perhaps you wail on them.
              Two drum kits based around 1966 Rogers Holiday model (one is 14, 12,14,20; other is 14,13,16,24). A third tiny Taye kit for quiet jazz (12,10,12,16). Roland HPD10, Roland SPD8, two iPads full of music-making apps. Behringer keyboard amp for all the e-gear.

Comment

Originally posted by Marker View Post
                fwiw, I've used sticks on my HPD-10, and in a live setting. Now, I was careful not to hit too hard, but I did have to play with dynamics and the 10 handled it just fine. It might not be recommended, but I don't think the sensors are going to die unless perhaps you wail on them.
                That was I've thinking about. An occasional tambourine hit or other percussion sound with the light tap of a stick would work for me but I've been cautioned that Roland doesn't recommend the use of sticks with the Handsonic. I could then use it as an electronic hand drum for quieter acoustic gigs.
                Roland TD-12, Pearl DRX-1 tom and snare pads, Roland PD-8 pads for cymbals, DW pedals and stands, Pearl and Gibraltar hardware

Comment

Kind of quiet here for ~3.5+ years! After using a 10 as an acoustic kit simulation off and on for several years, I just took delivery of a 20 over the 2018 Christmas holiday which I really dove into for a couple days to explore.
                  Full disclosure, I'd had one a couple years ago, which with less time to devote to it I suppose overwhelmed me a bit,...so it was retuned to Sweetwater(!), and sent me crawling back to the 10. Now, more determined, I obviously see the benefits of the Supernatural sounds engine, effects use/application, layering functionality, etc., etc.
                  Regarding the sounds library, as a drum-kit-simulator person, I do find the library wanting a bit in the acoustic drum-kit realm(?), but I'm picky. And the thing IS more (and perhaps properly) geared towards other types of folks (Beat-Boxers, DJs and of course true hand-percussionists) more than untraditional drum-kit sounds adopter, rock and alt-Country cats. I AM however setup pretty well with a home studio at least capable of producing my own cymbal and drum recorded samples, so look forward to perhaps leveraging that functionality.
                  Anyway, I hope there's still some Handsonic-Heads monitoring this VDrum Forum branch. Happy and willing to discuss your use (performance and studio) of this great gear.
                  Last edited by daledrumz; 12-26-18, 10:21 AM.
                  Sounds: HPD-(10 & 20) SPS-30, SPD-S
                  Triggers: KT-10, FD-9, Roland acoustic (duals and singles)
                  Acoustic Kits: Ludwig Legacy Classics and Classics, Pearl Crystal Beat
                  Cymbals: Paiste, Zildjian, Sabina, etc. & waaay too much hardware.

Comment

HPD15 owner waves!
                    *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
                    Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

Well, it looks like this newbie might be in the right place. I was a gigging hand drummer for many years before getting back into keyboard and accordion and now, heading back to hand drums with a used Handsonic 10. I'm planning on integrating this into my jazz/Brazilian accordion sets with some live-created loops. So as to test the waters and preserve limited funds I bought this used unit and, having read the manual, support docs, and experimented for a few days, I realize that the "Control Knob" doesn't control. It's wacky, sometimes reading an edit parameter, sometimes doing nothing as you turn it, then will start a sensible sequence of parameters, go in reverse, start over, stop responding all together. SO, I have one question to start with. I want to edit some kits to my liking and I see that I can edit some parameters with the + and - buttons on the other side of the control surface. Those buttons seem to do the same thing that the "control knob" should do, albeit more slowly and deliberately. Is there anything really important the "control knob" is supposed to do that can't be done with cursors and + / - buttons. If so, I should probably return this unit. If not, I may decide to live with its limited functionality and still enjoy drumming again. Thanks.

Comment

Wow! Haven't been on here for forever. Sorry. I play a Hpd20 all the time. I even fill in at a church and I put my hpd20 In behind their td10 kit and just play from there. They were skeptical until I hooked it up and now they welcome it every time. I also have a Roland El cajon i play less often but it has its place.
                        Stuff to hit

Comment

Working...
                        X