Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roland Factory Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland Factory Service

I'm thinking of sending my TD-20 module to the Ontario, CA Roland facility for service. The display went out. Has anyone done this and how did it turn out?

I mailed it today. If anyone is interested in the results let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by jthread View Post
      I mailed it today. If anyone is interested in the results let me know.

For sure let us know what happens. How much $. How long it takes etc.
      Thanks!
      "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

Update:

It took three weeks for Roland to call with an estimate:
        LCD(03230690)$70.64,vol.pots(01230034)X3$13.80,fad ers(13359368)x8
        $36.8,labor$100.00,

The total is $293.24 including shipping and insurance. I should note that they are not only replacing the lcd screen but they are also replacing 3 faders and I was having some trigger issues they claim to have diagnosed and will fix also. So if it gets fixed for under $300 I'll be elated.

They are "ordering the parts" which I've read can take up to 4 weeks.

If it gets fixed right I'll be pleased despite the long wait time. The initial email from Roland says they should have had the estimate in "3 to 5 days" after they receive it. It's been 3 weeks and now it's going to take one or two additional months to get it back. I was planning on having it back in two or three weeks. (HA!)

At this point it's obvious a backup would be nice but the only backup for a TD-20 module is a TD-20 unless I buy another hi-hat. I'm thinking about buying another electirc set. Something small for quick jams, and, for times like these. Any suggestions (in the under $1k range)?

Thanks for sharing my grief. I'll update again when it gets returned. (this year?)

Jim

(hummmm. it looks like they are replacing 3 vol pots, 8 faders and the lcd)

Comment

Yeah, customer service / customer care does not appear to be a high priority to Roland any longer!
          I would get a 2 Box module and be done with them if I were needing a back up <1000.
          Check with RMC audio direct for a good price.

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

jthread,

Before sending your TD-20 to Roland, did you contact them to let them know it was coming? Also, after you sent it, did you follow-up to make sure they got it and then make a subsequent follow-up to ensure the estimate was being prepared? Not meaning to rub salt in your frustrations, but you do need to take responsibility for making your problem a priority with Roland. It sounds a bit like you sent them an email, shipped the unit, and then let time take its course. If that's what you did, it's no wonder the process is taking so long. I've had fantastic, speedy service from Roland, but I made sure to follow-up on my side, too. Roland service centers have tons of equipment they look after so while your TD-20 is important to you, it's a mere drop in the bucket amongst equipment waiting to be serviced. Phones are great devices. Talk to someone voice-to-voice and follow up by phone, too. Make sure to establish a personal relationship with someone at Roland who can look after you. Never rely on email only. At least, this has been my experience for getting fast, personalized service.
            Last edited by TangTheHump; 05-19-15, 11:51 AM.

Comment

​Thanks for the advice Intruder. I've been looking at 2box based on some of the post here

Tang: I *had* to contact Roland, explain the problem, and get a return authorization number prior to sending the TD-20. Then I verified receipt via USPS. Then I called on the fourth day after Roland received the TD-20. Then I called again last Thursday. Roland contacted me on the following Friday with the estimate (three weeks after receipt). Don't get me wrong; if they actually fix it I'll be pleased. I'm surprised it's taking so long considering *their* email suggested I'd have an estimate in 3-5 days. I don't really want "speedy service" but I'd like them to be at least close to their own stated time frame. But what do I know? I'm just the customer.

Comment

jthread,

My mistake. Sounds like you did all the right stuff. Hmmm. Maybe the service center is just backed up? I've been dealing with Roland for over thirty years and have always found their service excellent. But, I will say this. With big and small companies alike, I never wait for them if their stated estimate time is up. I always follow-up right away. Also, frequently, as the stated completion date is coming near, I check in to make sure they are on target. This approach doesn't always work, but, if they get overloaded, it tends to keep my order from getting pushed to the back. Sorry you're having to wait so long. That is frustrating, for sure. Roland said they had to order parts. That's likely where the hold-up is. Suggestion... stay in touch with them every few weeks so as to keep your order at the forefront of their minds. Be polite, but keep re-enforcing that you want your module back as quickly as feasible. If the parts are back-ordered though and must come from Japan, it can take months just to get the parts in. See if you can find out what the hold-up is and set expectations accordingly. Good luck!

Comment

Tang: I would have called Roland more but I have a full-time job that keeps me really busy. Time has a way of slipping away from me these days. It's good to hear you've had a good relationship with Roland. I'm not real concerned with the amount of time *IF* they get it back in good working order and they addressed my issues. That's what is really important to me. I'm posting my experience here as a benefit to others so they will know what to expect. I think my call last Thursday was the stimulus for the call back on Friday. So your advice is probably valid. If I don't hear from them in a month I'll call again. Like I said, it can take a month just to get the parts. Thanks.
                  Last edited by jthread; 05-19-15, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Got it back today with a $253 charge to my credit card. Not too bad I guess. Seems to be working. The memory was wiped of course. As a recap: they replaced the LCD, 8 faders and 3 pots and paid the return shipping. Took about 7 weeks from the day I mailed it to them. I think I paid about $36 to ship it to them so the total expense is about $290. I'm considering selling it now that I can sell it with a clear conscience.

Comment

Originally posted by jthread View Post
                      Got it back today with a $253 charge to my credit card. Not too bad I guess. Seems to be working. The memory was wiped of course. As a recap: they replaced the LCD, 8 faders and 3 pots and paid the return shipping. Took about 7 weeks from the day I mailed it to them. I think I paid about $36 to ship it to them so the total expense is about $290. I'm considering selling it now that I can sell it with a clear conscience.

Hmmmm, 7 weeks is a long time but at least it's done and fixed. Price doesn't seem that bad really.

Comment

I may not agree with Roand's development and marketing approach to V-Drums, but the experience described here is exactly why I say Roland service is excellent. $253 for all parts and labor, and we're talking about a unit that needed some fairly extensive repairs: new faders, new pots, new display, etc. Sounds like a bargain to me. And, in total, a two month turnaround from shipping the unit out to getting it back. That's pretty good turnaround for a large company like Roland. My guess is... if you had a Roland service center near you (like I do), that two months would have deceased to about two weeks. At any rate, I'm going to speak loudly when saying I've dealt with Roland service for more than thirty years and each and every time they've provided superb, flawless, personal/friendly, and timely service. I tip my hat and give a HUGE THUMBS UP to Roland for the quality of their service and their professionalism.

Comment

Roland service has always been very price friendly, same for ordering replacement parts.
                          Mini-kit: TD-9 + Alesis Control Pad + Alesis Sample Pad + PDX-6 snare
                          Micro-kit: Handsonic HPD-20 + an old pair of hands.
                          Speakers: QSC-K10 "thumper", DBR-10 "little thumper"

Comment

Working...
                          X