Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TD-25 and 2Box Drumit Three Together - Best of both worlds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-25 and 2Box Drumit Three Together - Best of both worlds?

For those who constantly debate, "Should I get the 2Box 5 or the TD-30", here's a question: Why not get a TD-25 AND a Drumit Three? This gives you all you need for the price of a TD-30, right?
    • VST-quality sound capability via the Drumit 3.
    • TD-30's best sounds.
    • Ability to keep all your Roland pads via the TD-25.
    • VH-11 Support - better than the 2Box
    • MIDI IN via the 2Box 3 so you can daisy-chain and access your VSTs when you want.
    • Plenty of inputs combined
    • Plenty of outputs combined
    If I have this right, the 2Box 3 will be about $700, and the TD-25 street price will be about $1000. I don't mean for this thread to be a debate over why going this route is frustrating, disappointing, pricey etc. I'm just curious about the practicality and whether this addresses the key question: Does this actually satisfy most of the concerns and needs of those comparing the 2Box 5 to the TD30.
    ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, eDRUMin 10, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Im not sure. The Drumit3 looks to be a slightly stripped down Drumit 5 module, but I dont see the TD-25 module as a stripped down TD-30. As for buying both, I dont know about that. Im not finding the videos of the TD-25 to be very inspiring. The Drumit3 looks to be a winner while the TD-25 looks to be a dud. Everything is early though. Maybe a more in depth explaination and testing of the TD-25 will be coming out that will wow the nay-sayers (present company included).
    I think my work is done here.

Comment

Save your money... The next big thing will be here soon
      Roland TD-12 Ludwig A2E 5pc kit, VH-11
      Studio Drummer, Abbey Road 60's 70's 80's, AD2, SSD4, SD3
      Komplete Audio 6, JBL Eon 515XT, Mackie FX12, DAW Studio One 3

Comment

I had a similar idea a while back, I was considering a drumit 5, and was thinking of using an SPD-30 to give me VH-11 support.
        The same idea is rattling around in my head but it has changed to a drumit 3...
        Mini-kit: TD-9 + Alesis Control Pad + Alesis Sample Pad + PDX-6 snare
        Micro-kit: Handsonic HPD-20 + an old pair of hands.
        Speakers: QSC-K10 "thumper", DBR-10 "little thumper"

Comment

Originally posted by yzf125 View Post
          Do you know something we don't???

Comment

Drummit 6 maybe? That would make some slight sense if the development for the latest OS was done in preparation for that.

Wishful thinking....
            ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, eDRUMin 10, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

Isn't that what Nfused said months ago?
              "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

by the time someone comes out with the module we dream of, ill be too darn old to play or maybe the next big disappointment will be here soon? lol
                Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

??????? What do you mean?

Comment

Soon, as in the theory of relativity.
                    DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
                    Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

Originally posted by jpsquared482 View Post
                      [*]MIDI IN via the 2Box 3 so you can daisy-chain and access your VSTs when you want.
                      From what I read, I understand that you cannot trigger different drum sounds on the Drumit using MIDI-In, other than those already assigned to real pads. There is no 'percussion kit' support like there is on most of the Roland modules.
                      I think you'd be better off buying two Drumit 3's, and just deal with the HH controller (Jman solution with a nice converted A-Hat of your choice). And that would be cheaper still than a TD-25+D3. It's what I would do personally when I get to the point of needing more inputs. Or see whatever 2box have come up with in the meantime.

* Side-note. This lack of percussion kit through MIDI, is definitely the weak point in the 2box system (I'm not going to mention the HH), but one I feel could be relatively easily solved in firmware, assuming that the hardware can process the MIDI triggering without unacceptable latency. Maybe the 2box engineers already tried it during the original development work and couldn't find a decent solution.
                      2Box Drumit5, DIY 12" Snare, 12" Floor Tom, 2x10" Toms. Acoustic cymbals w/DIY triggers, Triggera Krigg, Tama Iron Cobra Kick and Tama Roadpro HH stand. Tennis Ball Riser (not needed now I have the Krigg lol).

Comment

Originally posted by TheCoda View Post
                        From what I read, I understand that you cannot trigger different drum sounds on the Drumit using MIDI-In, other than those already assigned to real pads. There is no 'percussion kit' support like there is on most of the Roland modules.
                        Just for clarity, the point I was making about VST's was this: Use both the TD-25 PLUS the Drummit3 inputs for pads and cymbals. Midi out from the TD-25 into the Drummit3. Then, USB/MIDI to the computer to trigger VSTs. This gives you tons of inputs for VSTs. I am assuming that all MIDI In data from the TD-25 will go through the 2Box and out through the USB MIDI cable to the computer. I wasn't suggesting that I wanted to trigger sounds in the 2Box itself. However, I do see your point about getting two Drummit3's as a cheaper route to the combo. However, my key point was that the TD-25 allows Roland drummers to keep all their Roland triggers, including maybe their favorite HH. In that sense the combo may be a good way to go. Heck, I'd sell my TD-30 and go this route any day. It gives you 2Box capability without giving up the Roland HH, which a lot of us feel is one of the best out there, if not THE best.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCoda View Post
                          From what I read, I understand that you cannot trigger different drum sounds on the Drumit using MIDI-In, other than those already assigned to real pads. There is no 'percussion kit' support like there is on most of the Roland modules..
                          I am not understanding this, do you mean if no pads are plugged in that you can't use MIDI in?
                          Or that it is limited to the theoretical maximum number of pads you can connect, which is kinda how my TD-9 works anyway.

Or are you referring to the second set of non-pad sounds, I know my TD-9 has a bunch of them but I never use them
                          so I wouldn't miss them on the Drumit3.
                          Mini-kit: TD-9 + Alesis Control Pad + Alesis Sample Pad + PDX-6 snare
                          Micro-kit: Handsonic HPD-20 + an old pair of hands.
                          Speakers: QSC-K10 "thumper", DBR-10 "little thumper"

Comment

Originally posted by kurth83 View Post
                            I am not understanding this, do you mean if no pads are plugged in that you can't use MIDI in?
                            No.

Or that it is limited to the theoretical maximum number of pads you can connect, which is kinda how my TD-9 works anyway.
                            No.

Or are you referring to the second set of non-pad sounds, I know my TD-9 has a bunch of them but I never use them so I wouldn't miss them on the Drumit3.
                            No.

From what I understand, if a sound in a kit is not assigned to a pad (regardless of whether a physical pad is connected - that is irrelevant) you cannot trigger that sound via midi-in. The TD-9's percussion kit is just a mapping from midi note numbers to drum sounds (they don't have to be assigned to a pad AFAIK - I haven't messed with them for a long time).
                            Don't get me wrong, I hope I am wrong, but other people who want more triggers who are long-time 2box users, just bought a second 2box. The usual way of using a triggerIO or another module or similar, just doesn't work :-(
                            2Box Drumit5, DIY 12" Snare, 12" Floor Tom, 2x10" Toms. Acoustic cymbals w/DIY triggers, Triggera Krigg, Tama Iron Cobra Kick and Tama Roadpro HH stand. Tennis Ball Riser (not needed now I have the Krigg lol).

Comment

Originally posted by jpsquared482 View Post
                              Just for clarity, the point I was making about VST's was this: Use both the TD-25 PLUS the Drummit3 inputs for pads and cymbals. Midi out from the TD-25 into the Drummit3. Then, USB/MIDI to the computer to trigger VSTs. This gives you tons of inputs for VSTs. I am assuming that all MIDI In data from the TD-25 will go through the 2Box and out through the USB MIDI cable to the computer. I wasn't suggesting that I wanted to trigger sounds in the 2Box itself. However, I do see your point about getting two Drummit3's as a cheaper route to the combo. However, my key point was that the TD-25 allows Roland drummers to keep all their Roland triggers, including maybe their favorite HH. In that sense the combo may be a good way to go. Heck, I'd sell my TD-30 and go this route any day. It gives you 2Box capability without giving up the Roland HH, which a lot of us feel is one of the best out there, if not THE best.
                              So you'd chain the midi from the TD-25 through the 2box using it in midi-thru mode? If so, are you not worried about adding more latency? I would also check that the 2box does in fact do proper midi-thru.
                              I get your point about the HH, but just about any Roland module that supports VH11+ is quite expensive for just a HH trigger :-) In this case I would use the TD-25 for HH and maybe pos sensing snare and get a triggerIO or whatever for extra trigger inputs. If you're only going to use VSTs on a PC then I'd guess you don't need a 2box.

Comment

Working...
                              X