Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TD15KV vs TD30KSE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD15KV vs TD30KSE

Hello everyone

I've had a search around the forum and can't find an answer to my question so thought I would start a new thread.

I have owned a TD15KV for around 16 months, I started learning drums 18 month ago on a Alesis DM6 and hated the cymbals, so once I was convinced I was going to stick at learning to play drums I took the plunge and bought a TD15KV. At the time I couldn't justify a TD30. I've been more than happy with the TD15 and it has done everything I needed, I have also been having lessons on a Acoustic kit and bought a second hand acoustic kit to play on with mates when jamming.
    I have not found it difficult to swap between the E kit and A kit though a little amount of adjustment is required.

I am going to be doing my Grade 5 later this year and realized I needed more time on a A kit to prepare, I looked at building a studio in the garden but the cost would be prohibitive. I have been considering trading in my TD15KV against a TD30KSE (UK special edition which sits between the K and the KV in terms of pads and using a VH13 instead of VH11).

I'm not concerned about any sound improvements (my TD15KV has VEX'd kits installed), I'm more interesting in improvements in getting closer to a Acoustic kit feel and response. The TD15KV is pretty good with respect to ghost notes, rim shots, cymbal response ect, but I do feel sometimes that accented notes get lost especially when playing faster, and ghost notes can be a bit too loud. This could simply be my playing, but I can do it better on an Acoustic kit.

How does the TD30 compare in this respect, how close is the feel to a Acoustic kit? Is it a big step up compared to the TD15?

Anyone that has played both please give me some of your thoughts.

Many thanks

Paul

and now there's talk about a new Roland TD-25 module....

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/general/...dule-the-td-25

Comment

Originally posted by DR650s View Post
      Hello everyone

I've had a search around the forum and can't find an answer to my question so thought I would start a new thread.

I have owned a TD15KV for around 16 months, I started learning drums 18 month ago on a Alesis DM6 and hated the cymbals, so once I was convinced I was going to stick at learning to play drums I took the plunge and bought a TD15KV. At the time I couldn't justify a TD30. I've been more than happy with the TD15 and it has done everything I needed, I have also been having lessons on a Acoustic kit and bought a second hand acoustic kit to play on with mates when jamming.
      I have not found it difficult to swap between the E kit and A kit though a little amount of adjustment is required.

I am going to be doing my Grade 5 later this year and realized I needed more time on a A kit to prepare, I looked at building a studio in the garden but the cost would be prohibitive. I have been considering trading in my TD15KV against a TD30KSE (UK special edition which sits between the K and the KV in terms of pads and using a VH13 instead of VH11).

I'm not concerned about any sound improvements (my TD15KV has VEX'd kits installed), I'm more interesting in improvements in getting closer to a Acoustic kit feel and response. The TD15KV is pretty good with respect to ghost notes, rim shots, cymbal response ect, but I do feel sometimes that accented notes get lost especially when playing faster, and ghost notes can be a bit too loud. This could simply be my playing, but I can do it better on an Acoustic kit.

How does the TD30 compare in this respect, how close is the feel to a Acoustic kit? Is it a big step up compared to the TD15?

Anyone that has played both please give me some of your thoughts.

Many thanks

Paul
      I've tried the TD30K SE and I thought the overall illusion of being on an acoustic kit was pretty good.

I image the TD30KV is even better - but way more money.

I'm facing a similar dilema, and at the monent considering some Drum Tec Diabolo pads upgraded to their new "Real Feel" 3 ply head that they claim feels almost exactly like playing an acoustic kit in terms of rebound.

I currently use a TD-12 kit with an added CY15R and I'm fairly happy with the VH-11 but I think the VH13 is a step up for sure.

I only use my E-Kit to record MIDI to trigger a VI like BFD3 but never the less I also want a great "acoustic" feel and experience, I'm not worry so much about the sound.

I teach a student who has a TD15 and it isn't in the same league as the TD30K SE imho.

Comment

I did see that, but until some more details are released as to what the improvements compared to the TD15 are I haven't considered it.
        There are lots of reviews of the TD30 saying how comparable it is to playing an acoustic kit, but how much of a difference is it to a TD15?

Comment

My opinion is; upgrading your pads and cymbals will give you a far better acoustic "feel" and "illusion" than upgrading your module.

You should definitely get full shell sizes (or whatever you feel most comfortable with) from Diamond drums or Jobeky. A full kit shell pack will cost you anywhere between 799 to 999 depending on what customization and mesh heads you want. Use all the money on the shell pack, don't bother with the VH-13 until last. After that, switching to silenced brass cymbals would be the next leap towards acoustic feel.
          ◾ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ◾ MegaDRUM
          ◾ Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ◾ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ◾ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring ◾ Pearl THMP-1
          PA Comparison Sheet

Comment

Originally posted by Kabonfaiba View Post
            My opinion is; upgrading your pads and cymbals will give you a far better acoustic "feel" and "illusion" than upgrading your module.
            This is FACT, not opinion my friend!!!

Pads/triggers are what you hit and will give the "feel" of an A kit...the module will give you SOUND, and some do a better job of interpreting the "hits" as in velocity, positional sensing and all that.

You guys just getting into this GAS with e drums should get to a local music store and try rubber vs mesh vs TCS vs whatever this new groundbreaking Diablo real feel 3 skins are that NO ONE on these Forums are talking about yet.

Keep us posted!!!

Oh, and for the OP, WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!! You can post a nice intro with pics in the Foyer section!

K ;-)
            My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
            E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
            A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
            A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Heheh, I had a crisis of confidence, now I feel every thing I post needs a disclaimer. But I'll still suggest how I think other people should be spending their hard earned money!
              ◾ Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ◾ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ◾ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring ◾ Pearl THMP-1
              PA Comparison Sheet

Comment

I think that a full sized kit would not be an option due to the size of my practice room, the bass drum would project out too much into the room.

The impression I'm getting is that you are both saying the difference between the two modules is not as great as the difference in the pads, is that correct? And that I would get a better feel from upgrading my pads.

Comment

Ah that's an easy solution! Just don't get a full size bass drum. Get a KD-9 or KT-10 kick triggers.

I have a space problem too; so I can't fit a bass drum in (although I really would like too in the future)

I have 10inch and 12inch size drums at acoustic shell depths. The floor space required for my full kit is 150cm (W) x 90cm (L) - not including the drum stool.
                  PA Comparison Sheet

Comment

Working...
                  X