Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Different types of sticks on the TD30KV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different types of sticks on the TD30KV

This is probably a stupid question, but I am brand new to roland. I saw a video of someone playing the Vdrums with brushes and it actually sounded like brushes were being played. I know there is a "brushes" kit on the module, so my question is...is it possible to play with different types of sticks such as brushes or rods on the TD30 and make it actually sound like you are playing with those sticks? I wouldn't think that would be possible but I don't know!

The module doesn't know what type of sticks you are playing with. If you play with brushes on a kit designed for rock, you will get sounds like you are playing with regular sticks. If you play with sticks on a kit designed with brush sounds, you will get brush sounds. So its all in the sound on the module, not the stick you choose.
    I think my work is done here.

Comment

Yeah I figured. thanks for the reply

Comment

the td30 does brush sounds including sweeps. It's best to use some nylon brushes to achieve the sound, sticks don't trigger the sweep sounds well.

Roland TD-30KV, Pearl Demon Drive Double Pedal, Pearl H1000 hit hat stand, Shure SE530 IEMs, AKG K171 MKII Headphones, Mackie DLM PA, Yamaha MG102C mixer, Roland Studio Capture

Natal Walnut kit (US Fusion X), Bosphorus Antique 16" Crash & 22" Ride, Bosphorus Gold Series 14" hats.

Comment

Hi,

What nylon brushes are recommended for playing on pd-125(x)? There are several different types in the store I often go to.
          - Vic Firth Jazz Rake
          - Pro Mark B600 Nylon Bristle Brush
          - Wincent 12 LN

Additional questions; Were do you guys add the footnote under the your post(reply) with your kit set-up?

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 3 photos.
          Roland TD-20+TDW-20, PD-125x, PDX-8, 2x PD-105, 2x PD-125, KD-120, VH-12, 2x CY-14, CY15R, MDS-12, Hardware; Tama Snarestand HS80W, Pedal HP900 Powerglide, HH805 Iron cobra.

Comment

I would suggest instead a heavier type of nylon brushes, because these above are very light and short and you have to pound on the elements too often too much so that the sharp plastic handles hit the heads as well. It might end up damaging the heads/rims and it's not nice to play. You can also change the triggers settings to a lighter touch but I found this type of heavy accent brushes were a lot better to play on electronic drums. And they also sound great on acoustic drums.

Light wood rods are also nice to play because they are lighter than sticks and with somewhat less rebound. It won't sound different other than acoustically (and it does matter if you cannot play with sticks at night lighter rods and heavy nylon brushes will be much more silent on direct strokes) but it will feel different and you can also benefit from the lesser rebound to work articulation preciseness and speed.

Comment

Thanks happy_dude for your reply. Good advice regarding the possible damaging of the pad. I didn't thought about that.
              What I forgot to mention is that I use the pd-125x attached to the TD-20 brain which has a (sensitive) setting for playing with brushes. I especially need to know what brushes would give the best sweep triggering on the roland pad.
              Roland TD-20+TDW-20, PD-125x, PDX-8, 2x PD-105, 2x PD-125, KD-120, VH-12, 2x CY-14, CY15R, MDS-12, Hardware; Tama Snarestand HS80W, Pedal HP900 Powerglide, HH805 Iron cobra.

Comment

I especially need to know what brushes would give the best sweep triggering on the roland pad.
                I wish I knew...

Comment

Working...
                X