Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrade my PA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade my PA

This request fits nicely with all the recent discussion of E-Kits, Live Gigs and the right equipment. Even my question sometime back, asking if E-kits are only good for home practice... where many folks brought up some good points. My big take away is play my kit live and have the right equipment (PA) to let your kit be heard.

So, I know I'll continue on with my kit for band rehearsals and live gigs.

I am currently playing through a Mackie SA1530. I love it. It's actually too much for our small space rehearsals but I'm told it will more than be enough for a small to mid size gig. This thing is a monster at, I believe 110 lbs. It takes two men and a boy to move the thing. So for now it's adequate sitting in one place at rehearsal.

I'm looking to upgrade to the same level of quality output, but lighter and more portable. Lets say budget is less than $1500-$2000. It was suggested by a friend, there are combo's of 10" PA coupled with a sub. Both, individually would weigh less, be very portable and actually might provide even better sound. He did not get into brands. I've got some ideas with QSC and JBL I'll go check out. I'll pick his brain more, but thought I'd pick this groups too?

My 2 cents...I always lean towards a 12 inch size for mains, 15 inch preferred, rather than 10's because 10 inchers always seem way underpowered for my tastes. But if you want to save money and weight AND the fact you plan on using a sub, and with current speaker tech, 12 inchers might be very good depending on the venues you're playing.

At NAMM this year, EV introduced a less expensive line of speakers that sounded tremendous, I think they are the new K series, powered and non powered. Get class D or digital amps either built into the speakers or as rack mounts as they are tremendous weight savers!! Also, Peavey makes some great stuff, bang for buck wise, that will meet your needs. If you have the money for JBLs then I'll stop talking!!!!

K ;-)
    My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
    E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
    A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
    A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

The sub is really what's going to make the difference. You won't get the frequency response you want from just 12's or even 15's.

I've had my whole band (acoustic drums however) through 10's and a sub and it sounds great.

However, at 1500-2000 you could afford a K12 and a KSub and that would probably sound great. The KSub's don't usually get as favorably reviewed as the JBL XLF's, because they don't have quite the frequency response, but it might not matter to you. Keep in mind that subs can way a good 70-90 lbs, so not a huge weight saving over what you have.

JBL is a little more expensive and would probably work wonderfully as well.

The question is how much you really need? You could spend like $500 less than the QSC costs and get a Mackie SRM550 and SRM1850 sub and it might work fine for you. It might be helpful to know the type of band, band PA situation, and size of the venues you play.

Comment

Take a look at the RCF EVOX 8 and the FBT Vertus.

Otherwise I suggest looking at pairing a 12" top with the equivalent 15" / 18" bass reflex sub, from brands like Mackie, EV, QSC, Yamaha, JBL, FBT, RCF. In order of budget.

Whatever you choose though, Class D amps are the way to go.
        ◾ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ◾ MegaDRUM
        ◾ Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ◾ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ◾ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring ◾ Pearl THMP-1
        PA Comparison Sheet

Comment

I love my QSC K10s and K sub but I only use at home. I have the knobs set at half and mixer only at a quarter up.
          Any more and glass starts to shake and cops come looking for doughnuts!
          Since I can't always afford the repair and doughnuts I keep it rockin low. The sub can move lots of air around!
          "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

I have stopped looking at marketed products and started to build my own. I can get them to sound perfect in the setup I need, and spend less than half the price.

Minor negative point: it's a bit more complicated and involved than just opening your wallet at the store.

I have the time, and the inclination to do so, but I understand that it's not for everybody.
            DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
            Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

Band EBD.jpg
              Originally posted by perceval View Post
              I have stopped looking at marketed products and started to build my own. I can get them to sound perfect in the setup I need, and spend less than half the price.

Minor negative point: it's a bit more complicated and involved than just opening your wallet at the store.

I have the time, and the inclination to do so, but I understand that it's not for everybody.

Right on, Bro!

Mark
              Drumagination
              Last edited by Drumagination; 04-04-15, 08:58 PM.
              2000 Watt Carvin powered Electronic Bass Drum,
              built-in DM10 drum module,
              Double TwinSteele Electronic drum pedals
              Footless High-Hat
              Drumagination.com
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XezG628QXp8

Comment

I have a lot of input for you based on 20+ years of e-drums on stage. Some main points:

1. Do not underestimate the importance of a properly powers sub(s). For a medium sized venue, I would recommend at the least a pair of 18's with at least 97 dB efficiency. Minimum power for each, about 600-800 watts. If you want your drums to sound full and rich, this is a must.

2. You MUST run a pair of midrange/HF horns. 12's will suffice for a medium size venue, but 15's will give you a little better crossover frequency and slope. The reason you must run a pair is that you will lose all high end when off axis from a single cabinet. Unless the audience is in the path of the horn (unlike the subs, very directional) they will not hear the high end. Cymbals and snare will sound mushy and muffled. Horns don't radiate 360 degrees like an acoustic drum/cymbal does.

3. If you are using cabinets as monitor/ mains simultaneously (probably behind you), make sure to elevate your horns. Otherwise the sound radiation will be stopped by the musicians/equipment on stage, or the first few rows of the audience/dancers.

4. DON't under-power your system. It takes some serious power to properly produce the sounds from e-drums, even at moderate sound levels. Remember, too much power doesn't kill speakers. Clipping kills speakers. Power them with at least 200% of their rms rating.

Comment

Originally posted by Drumagination View Post
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]n1112730[/ATTACH]

Right on, Bro!

Mark
                  Drumagination

Nice flower shirt!
                  Oh, and the bass drum / PA is cool too, of course! ha!
                  Still rockin' that system?
                  DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
                  Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

Originally posted by jelliff View Post
                    I have a lot of input for you based on 20+ years of e-drums on stage. Some main points:

1. Do not underestimate the importance of a properly powers sub(s). For a medium sized venue, I would recommend at the least a pair of 18's with at least 97 dB efficiency. Minimum power for each, about 600-800 watts. If you want your drums to sound full and rich, this is a must.

2. You MUST run a pair of midrange/HF horns. 12's will suffice for a medium size venue, but 15's will give you a little better crossover frequency and slope. The reason you must run a pair is that you will lose all high end when off axis from a single cabinet. Unless the audience is in the path of the horn (unlike the subs, very directional) they will not hear the high end. Cymbals and snare will sound mushy and muffled. Horns don't radiate 360 degrees like an acoustic drum/cymbal does.

3. If you are using cabinets as monitor/ mains simultaneously (probably behind you), make sure to elevate your horns. Otherwise the sound radiation will be stopped by the musicians/equipment on stage, or the first few rows of the audience/dancers.

4. DON't under-power your system. It takes some serious power to properly produce the sounds from e-drums, even at moderate sound levels. Remember, too much power doesn't kill speakers. Clipping kills speakers. Power them with at least 200% of their rms rating.

I agree completely.

Comment

I use the mackie dlm series. 2 x 12" mains and the matching sub. They are shall and portable and pack a punch. I don't bother with the sub unless I'm gigging as the two 12s have a decent low end output. The speakers are all specced as 2000W RMS, with 3000W peak.

Roland TD-30KV, Pearl Demon Drive Double Pedal, Pearl H1000 hit hat stand, Shure SE530 IEMs, AKG K171 MKII Headphones, Mackie DLM PA, Yamaha MG102C mixer, Roland Studio Capture

Natal Walnut kit (US Fusion X), Bosphorus Antique 16" Crash & 22" Ride, Bosphorus Gold Series 14" hats.

Comment

Working...
                      X