Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

setup diagram?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• setup diagram?

Hello sirs!

Newbie question... is there a suggested setup diagram that I can find somewhere? I've been trying to help my son to setup his set that would make it easier for him to play. He has double kick pedals and his hihat foot controller is not aligned with the hihat pad coz I want it to be like acoustic drums. When I try fixing it, it tends to look and feel cramped.

Thanks!

Hello littlebadbay,

try drumeo's video "Setting Up A Drum Set - Free Drum Lessons" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-QdeS4EYdE . The basic idea is to build the drum kit around your son's physical geometry. It worked for me, and redesigning the setup several times is part of the process ;-) Favor ease of use over good look.
    td-30 user ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by MS-SPO View Post
      Hello littlebadbay,

try drumeo's video "Setting Up A Drum Set - Free Drum Lessons" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-QdeS4EYdE . The basic idea is to build the drum kit around your son's physical geometry. It worked for me, and redesigning the setup several times is part of the process ;-) Favor ease of use over good look.

Very helpful! Thanks!

Comment

Basically, "if it feels good do it" after following the vid. I had the same question years ago, I think I watched that same video! It must be the only one out there? Or at least the best.
        "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

I just added a 5th tom and another cymbal and it took me about 8 hours to get it where I liked it. I look at videos of some pro players and can't imagine how I would be able to play some of their simple kits, so you set it up and move it to where it feels good. As he grows and developed things will change. Again, videos of pros taken over many years show they move things around, grow the kit, shrink the kit.

The set-up video posted in the above response is a good starting point, but as noted above, do what feels right and change it as the feel dictates.
          TD-20X & TMC-6
          Hart Pro Snare TE3.2, 2 @ KT-10, 5 @ PDX-100, 2 @ CY-15, 2 @ CY-14, 4 @ CY-12, VH-12, 4 @ BT-1, TD-20X VEX packs
          DW9500TB HH, MDS-12X rack hardware & mounts with longer tubes and added bracing.

Comment

The clip on the chain is difficult to take off. Is there a special tool for this?

Comment

Yep, do whatever feels good. And yes, anything other than a simple kit is GOING to feel cramped, especially with double kicks. Not sure what HH controller you're using but for my HHs, I use a Gibraltar HH stand that allows the foot pedal to be anywhere I want within the limits of the stand as it has some universal elbow joints to have the hats where I need them in relation to the kit/comfort, and the pedal the same thing, where I need it in relation to my comfort and the double pedals. I have posted pics of this before on my profile pics.

Ken
              My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
              E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
              A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
              A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Working...
              X