Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you stimulate yourself? when you have been in a creative rut for a while?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you stimulate yourself? when you have been in a creative rut for a while?

Okay everyone!
    I would like to know what do you do to recover from a non creative period???
    Everyone will have something different that helps them recover from a song writing rut.
    I am keen to hear them!
    I have great tools, instruments, great recording software, I have great soft synths, I have great sounds and VST's.
    I do rudiments every day and leave the weekends for being creative.
    I have been in a creative rut for a while and need some stimulation.
    Doesn't help that the guys I normally play with are in Europe for a couple of months.
    So what is your creative rut breaker???
    Cheers
    Any ideas appreciated.
    NOW with New Improved TD-30 Module, some V drums an other music making thingies with miscellaneous small furry animals, large hairy animals, motorcycle bits and a big muff:rolleyes:.

Sometimes a week-long mind dump is quite useful.... just do nothing and come back fresh.
    If we're in too deep of a learning rut (or any other "mechanical" part of the music process) I think it can be detrimental to the essetnial enjoyment part of music.

Sometimes I like going back in time and taking a slow soak of some learning I've done in the past - i.e. review some lesson material with a different perspective or aspect and see what jumps out.
    Hardware: TD20SX --> Roland UA-25EX --> MSI GT780DX w/ i7 2670, 16-GB of Ram, Windows 7
    Software: Superior Drummer 2.0, Metal Foundry SDX, Metal Machine EZX, Toontrack Solo - - Sonor X1 Studio - -

Comment

Its not really quite the same thing but I often use to get down when gigging. It was usually when the band had gone to long without rehearsing new numbers.

My quick fix was to go out to see other live bands. I would soon get the feel back.

Comment

Try rearranging your kit a bit. Maybe remove a pad or two, just get it down to the essentials. I find on my acoustic if I dump the splash and china, and go with a 4 piece it has a creative effect. Try checking out some youtube videos. hook up with some other drummers and try jamming out. works for me

Comment

Quit trying to"be" creative. Just have some fun. All of a sudden... Creativity will find you.
          8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
          http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

Originally posted by fulrmr(Daniel) View Post
            Quit trying to"be" creative. Just have some fun. All of a sudden... Creativity will find you.

+

Sitting down at a desk, at a kit, well... anywhere and telling yourself "I need to be creative" will just become the exact opposite.

Play around, have fun, go nuts!

Pick a song you know and improvise a new beat, change it along the way, stop inside that song, start again a few bars later.

Invent situations: You are Lars Ulrich playing a Jack Johnson song, Neil Peart playing a Beatles song, Buddy Rich playing a Green Day song, whatever ...

You'll probably hit a combination and think "hey, that sounded fun!"
            DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
            Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

I harken back to music that "got me going", stuff I LOVED to jam to in the car while driving around or going to concerts back in the day...or even listening to newer stuff that gets me motivated to try new patterns.

Of course, NO ONE here wants to know how I "stimulate" myself...Jesus H!!!!! Don't say it! Don't say it! What has been seen cannot be unseen lol.

K ;-)
              My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
              E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
              A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
              A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

That mental vision will now remain with me till I fall off this coil. Thanks Pal

Comment

Anything for you John lol!!!

K ;-)

Comment

Yeah, When I first read the title I almost choked. Thought I was on a totally different site!
                    Not that I know anything about that kind of web site!
                    "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

Check out this Drumeo video for some ideas about creative drumming concepts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wR2jgjxyS3g

Also here's a Led Zeppelin cover to stimulate your mojo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUaut2m4YaI
                      Last edited by RhysT; 03-31-15, 04:28 PM.

Comment

There are no rules. One nice aspect of a drum kit is that, unlike most other instruments, they are uniquely customizable. Granted, most people will set up as 2 up/1 down or 1 up/2 down with ride right, HH left, and so forth, but you don't have to. Place a floor tom to your left. Alternate the toms. Reverse the toms. Place the cymbals where the toms are and toms above them. Place all the cymbals to your left and all of the toms to your right. Other instruments can't do that.

Many years ago I saw an old jazz player who placed his ride nearly vertical alongside his kick (to the right, with the bell further to the right). A little odd but every change opens up a new possibility.

Comment

Pretty good Led Zep cover mate. Awesome vocals.

Comment

Check out the song of the day thread for more inspirational ideas!

K ;-)

Comment

Wow I am so stimulated by your comments thanks guys.
                              Sorry if Got your mind on the wrong track Ha Ha totally unintentional!!!! LOL.
                              NOW with New Improved TD-30 Module, some V drums an other music making thingies with miscellaneous small furry animals, large hairy animals, motorcycle bits and a big muff:rolleyes:.

Comment

Working...
                              X