Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remo Silent stroke?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remo Silent stroke?

Anyone using these heads and having good luck with them? I was wondering how they hold up. I have heard they are bouncy. I was also wondering if anyone is using one of their kick heads on an a to e kit and how the like them.

Thanks
    Chris

I have them on my 13 diy snare and 12inch diy tom. Yes they are a little bouncy, but about the same as the Roland mesh. They are durable, I hit my snare for a whole song with a broken tip accidentally about 6 months ago and dented the silent stroke head and punctured it in a few places. Still holding up great and triggering without a problem. I'd say give em a try on your kick drum, but I have no experience using them that way. They are pretty cheep compared to others.

Comment

I think they feel fine. As for durability, they seem to be doing pretty good for the past month or so on my kit. I was very worried coming from Roland heads to these but so far they are proving to be worth their price. I have a 22" silent stroke on my bass drum and its perfect. I do, however, use foam padding behind the beater strike area, so that is absorbing a lot of the impact and limiting bounce off the head. As of now I would recommend them for general purpose drumming. Really heavy hitters, or people who are a bit abusive with their kits probably wont do well with these heads..
      I think my work is done here.

Comment

Actually I found them to be very bouncy. In the Feb. 2014 Digitaldrummer Head to Head testing they are the bounciest of all mesh heads tested. Personally I have been playing the Roland mesh heads for many years and am very used to the response .... which is slightly less "bouncy", so that may or may not be an issue depending on preference. But I would advise looking at the Feb 2014 issue of Digitaldrummer as there is a comparison of most mesh heads available.
        I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
        Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

About a year ago I bought a 14" Silent Stroke head to cut down the volume from my son's snare drum while practicing at home. It is more bouncy compared to a conventional drum head but has held up really well (it still looks new despite significant playing time). We've been careful not to use stick with any rough spots on the tips. I have a TD-12 and have been curious how the Silent Stroke would work out if I were to use an external trigger.
          Roland TD-12, Pearl DRX-1 tom and snare pads, Roland PD-8 pads for cymbals, DW pedals and stands, Pearl and Gibraltar hardware

Comment

I was wondering about these heads in comparison to the Pearl MFHs and the Hart Maxxums. I have Hart Maxxum heads and boy are they up there in price. I was wanting to get some Alesis RealHead triggers and replacing the heads with mesh and thought these would be a good candidate compared to the Pearls, but I was wanting to learn more about them.
            Roland TD-50, DW Collector's A2E kit, PD-140DS, CY-18DR, 2xCY-14C, 2x CY-8, 2x CY-5, VH-10, Modified MDS-12v

TD-3 > TD-10E > TD-20 > TD/W-20 > TD-15 > TD-50

Comment

The SilentStrokes are cheaper than most other heads on the market and I have heard of more breakages that with others out there. Personally, I'd recommend spending a bit more on something more durable and less bouncy.
              . digitalDrummer
              Review index

Comment

If Remo made a two-ply they'd solve the bounce and durability issues at the same time. Oh, they already did that, and they're called Roland Vdrums heads. Roland are my personal favorites.
                ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, eDRUMin 10, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

As a follow up on my previous post, just for kicks I bought a demo/open box RT-10S trigger from RMC for $49 to see how it would work with the Silent Stroke head. Much to my surprise I'm getting good results, so much so that I have replaced my rubber snare pad with an acoustic snare outfitted with this combination. By the way, the RT-10S looked like it had never been used so this turned out to be a really good deal.
                  Roland TD-12, Pearl DRX-1 tom and snare pads, Roland PD-8 pads for cymbals, DW pedals and stands, Pearl and Gibraltar hardware

Comment

I just installed a 20" in my bass drum with an RT-30K trigger. I like it. I don't bury my beater. I'm surprised in a good way although Roland needs to release their MH2 heads in the States.
                    Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute | Zildjian Ks

Comment

The tone is a little bit bland. And the bass drum does not by all means hold up. When you put a beater pad on the mesh head it instantly falls off. And when you don't have a beater pad on you will put a big hole through the middle of your kick drum. The rest of the drums snare, toms, etc... Seems to hold up nice

Comment

The Remo beater pad has stayed on nicely to my BD SilentStroke. I've got it tightened down quite good. The liveliness of my DW5000 is more of an issue for me than the rebound off the SilentStroke.
                        Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute | Zildjian Ks

Comment

Originally posted by JmanWord View Post
                          Actually I found them to be very bouncy. In the Feb. 2014 Digitaldrummer Head to Head testing they are the bounciest of all mesh heads tested. Personally I have been playing the Roland mesh heads for many years and am very used to the response .... which is slightly less "bouncy", so that may or may not be an issue depending on preference. But I would advise looking at the Feb 2014 issue of Digitaldrummer as there is a comparison of most mesh heads available.
                          hey jman, do you use anything like foam to reduce the bounce in your kick drum? i am going to do a A to e conversion using a 20" kick drum with drumtec 3 ply head. my concern is bounce.. your thoughts?
                          Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

Originally posted by jammin777 View Post

hey jman, do you use anything like foam to reduce the bounce in your kick drum? i am going to do a A to e conversion using a 20" kick drum with drumtec 3 ply head. my concern is bounce.. your thoughts?
                            I've used my kicks without dampening and have used with some dampening. In my crossbar kick I use 2 rectangles of foam that go on the crossbar on each side that contact the head slightly. That foam is softer then the foam I use for the Piezo on the center plate of the crossbar. It reduces the vibration which results in great consistent triggering. On my own Stealth internal side mount system I use no dampening, but that system does not require it for consistent triggering.
                            I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
                            Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

thanks for answering on an old thread Jman, but how does the play ability feel compared to say a kd 120? bounce wise? just trying to plan ahead of time. i am excited to finally do an A to E.
                              Also if i may ask, are you using Mylar heads on the bottoms of your toms or mesh?. if mylar, do the bottom heads resonate a lot or loudly? i thought of using cheap black mesh but also thought of just leaving the clear heads on and cutting out black felt same diameter size to lay on the bottom but not sure if necessary. thanks....
                              Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

Working...
                              X