Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone tried the Yamaha DBR12 Powered Loudspeaker?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone tried the Yamaha DBR12 Powered Loudspeaker?

I apologize if this has already been discussed elsewhere but the "Search" feature turned up nothing. I'm looking for a self-contained amp/speaker to monitor my TD-12 kit at home, and perhaps use it at a small gig down the road, but home practice is my main focus so I can work with my son as he develops as a drummer. Has anyone tried the Yamaha DBR12 (or DBR15) with v-drums? I inquired about a different speaker at an online store and was directed to the Yamaha given my needs and desire for something that won't break the bank. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Roland TD-12, Pearl DRX-1 tom and snare pads, Roland PD-8 pads for cymbals, DW pedals and stands, Pearl and Gibraltar hardware

DBR is Yamaha's new value range. Imo the older DXR range will give you better gigging-ability since it's a lot louder. I think the DBR12 will drown if other band members turn their dedicated amps up. Drum amps have to cover the full range - that's asking a lot from a single 12" woofer, only the higher class 12" woofers like that in the DXR12 can handle kicks at gig volumes.

So although even a 10" woofer will be fine for a small room. For gigging, you'll want at least the DBR15 to feel the kick drum. Unless you pair the DBR12 with a sub - otherwise you won't get the impact you need for vdrums.

Buying a more powerful DXR12 would be a wiser choice for the future expandability, as the DXR12 will be able to go even louder when high-passed, while the DBR15 wouldn't be as transparent. They have the same peak SPL, but that says nothing about the sound quality.

The moral is; don't buy a weak PA for vdrums. Either bite the bullet, or get an acoustic.
    ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
    Community Drum Module Document
    PA Comparison sheet (wip)

Comment

I have a DXR-12. Best piece of gear I have ever had. Completely amazed by it. Plenty of low end from a 12" speaker. No need for a 15" for a kick drum, unless you select really big low kicks on your module.
      __________________________________________________ _____
      Always seeking a compact one-piece solution to electronic drumming.

Comment

Been rocking two QSC K12's, one QSC K8 and a QSC KW181 and wont try anything else now. Sorry

Last edited by Rushfan74; 04-28-15, 09:52 PM.
        Roland TD-30KV, DW, Pearl Hardware & Big Foot Trick Pedals, QSC K10x2, Logic Pro, Toontrack Superior Drummer, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre Thunderbolt Interface

Comment

(Responding to an aged thread) Just got a DBR12, disappointed in its volume (compared to my JBL Eon15 G2). The DBR12 has more powerful amp and higher spl rating. But, even with drum module and speaker input both turned up to 100%, it's not nearly as loud/punchy as the Eon at 75% with the module also set to 75%. Using the mono (L) out with a 1/4" phono cable and a DTX700 module. Swapping the output cable between the Eon and DBR12 shows a major dropoff in volume with the DBR12, even when its volume is maxed out.

The DBR12 is a nice cabinet, lightweight and handy. Not sure if my low volume issue is with my unit, as pretty much all reviews and specs indicate this speaker should be pretty loud.

Comment

Originally posted by drmoze View Post
            (Responding to an aged thread) Just got a DBR12, disappointed in its volume (compared to my JBL Eon15 G2). The DBR12 has more powerful amp and higher spl rating. But, even with drum module and speaker input both turned up to 100%, it's not nearly as loud/punchy as the Eon at 75% with the module also set to 75%. Using the mono (L) out with a 1/4" phono cable and a DTX700 module. Swapping the output cable between the Eon and DBR12 shows a major dropoff in volume with the DBR12, even when its volume is maxed out.

The DBR12 is a nice cabinet, lightweight and handy. Not sure if my low volume issue is with my unit, as pretty much all reviews and specs indicate this speaker should be pretty loud.
            Do you have a mixer to put in between? You could also try setting input 1 to mic and slowly bring the volume up . Set the module output to 50% if you are trying this and go up from there. It looks like the other line inputs are balanced. Roland modules have a very low output except the TD50 and are unbalanced [2 wire instead of 3 wire]. I always use a mixer myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Warren View Post

Do you have a mixer to put in between? You could also try setting input 1 to mic and slowly bring the volume up . Set the module output to 50% if you are trying this and go up from there. It looks like the other line inputs are balanced. Roland modules have a very low output except the TD50 and are unbalanced [2 wire instead of 3 wire]. I always use a mixer myself.
              Thx, I have a small mixer but like to keep things simple with a direct drum-to-speaker hookup. Using input 1 switched to mic-level on the DBR12 works and sounds fine, but then I can't also use a mic at the same time (which we usually do for home jams). Apparently (after further research), the 1/4" phono jack in the "combo" DBR12 inputs (phono+xlr) is a balanced input, while the L/R outputs on the DTX700 are unbalanced. Odd, because I never saw this mentioned anywhere (after much searching) and my older Eon speaker has unbalanced phono inputs. It looks like half the signal can be lost when connecting an unbalanced output to a balanced input (which usually flips the phase of one of the 2 balanced output signals and adds them to cancel line noise).

So, I can either modify a stereo 1/4" (TRS) cable to cut the ground at one end and leave the ring contact floating, or use a direct input (DI) box to convert the unbalanced output to a balanced one. Or, I can convert each DTX output channel to an RCA plug, as input 2 on the DBR12 has 2 (unbalanced) RCA inputs. I'll probably try 2 or 3 of these solutions and see what works. I found a DI box for under $10 on Amazon.

Thx for the

Comment

The DI box should be the best bet. The little Yamaha mixers are great sounding with a lot of headroom if needed and good sounding verb/delay for vocals.

Comment

Well, the DI box connected to the DBR12 via xlr cable didn't work. Almost no sound at all from the balanced output, even with attenuation on the box minimized. Connecting the L/Mono DTX output to the rca input of the DBR12 also did not help. Sounds about as (non-)loud as just using a mono TS phono cable from the DTX output to the combo input.

I am REALLY surprised by this. The old JBL Eon would play full volume with just a single mono 1/4" phono cable connection. Using the combo phono plug or rca input, the sound does not get loud at all; only the Mic input gives decent volume. Even more surprised that I cannot find any discussion or solution for this low output online. The DBR12 is in the general mix when discussing e-drum speakers, and the DTX700 is a pretty standard module. Yet, they seem to not be compatible with respect to full output.

Gonna contact Yamaha directly, and not waste any more money on xlr extension cables, DI boxes, etc.
                  Last edited by drmoze; 01-12-17, 03:58 PM.

Comment

How is it with a mixer? Roland modules have a very low output.

Comment

I have a small Behringer Euro mixer, which I'll try next. Never had a problem with the Roland TD-8 or Yamaha DTX700 output levels when plugged directly into my JBL Eon15 G2. Sucks having to use a mixer (in a simple/casual home setup) when I'm not mixing anything, and just need a signal boost because the DBR has an unexpectedly low input sensitivity. And I've NEVER seen this issue mentioned with the DBRs being used for e-drums. Does nobody else plug their module outputs directly into a DBR?

Comment

Didn't you say it does work in the mic input? That would mean it is only a problem if you are using the mic input for something else. I always prefer a mixer for vocals with a reverb or delay.

Comment

Working...
                        X