Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PD85's or PDX-8s? Which for toms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PD85's or PDX-8s? Which for toms?

Which would be more beneficial? Budget wise and performance wise? I'm looking for simple mesh toms and I figured PDX-8's would be best since they're not super huge or small, but I wonder what the trade off is for PD-85's... Thoughts? I'm sure PDX pads are more modern but not sure. Lowest price is best. Thx!
    Roland TD-50, DW Collector's A2E kit, PD-140DS, CY-18DR, 2xCY-14C, 2x CY-8, 2x CY-5, VH-10, Modified MDS-12v

TD-3 > TD-10E > TD-20 > TD/W-20 > TD-15 > TD-50

Go with pdx for price only difference is the 85s are a little bigger (no white ring) and they look a little cooler.
    "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

From what I've read, the PDX-8 is a 10" pad? THe hell? I was wondering what the comparison is side by side and I really would like to get something that I know will last.
      Roland TD-50, DW Collector's A2E kit, PD-140DS, CY-18DR, 2xCY-14C, 2x CY-8, 2x CY-5, VH-10, Modified MDS-12v

Comment

If you have good control, and don't expect an issue with hitting the white ring on the 8, go with that. Otherwise, the 85 is the tool for the job. (at another $20-30) I wouldn't let the rimshot feature/improvement be the judgement factor with regard to it's job as a tom. However, if you ever plan to use it as a snare (ever), and rely on digging into the rim, go with the 8. They are basically both 8" pads. One just has an "inner rim" to worry about. (which makes absolutely no sense to me where snare usage is concerned?!?)
        Alan
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

Both are really 8 inch pads but the pdx8 has a 2 inch hard white plastic ring (that you never want to hit) around the outside. Why? not a clue really!
          I have 4 pdx8's never had a problem with them they are fine. If I would of had a choice I would rather have had pd85's.
          The TD9 kit I bought came with 2 pdx6's and 2 pdx8's. I sold the pdx6's and got 2 more pdx8's rather than 4 pd85's.
          For the $ the pdx100's are the best deal as they are really 10 inch pads and support PS if you upgrade modules and no white ring. The only problem with pdx100 is center mounted piezo = hot spot just like all the other pd type pads
          By the way, on the pdx8 if you do hit the white ring it just makes a loud kind of high pitch crack that makes you think you broke the plastic.
          I think that all Roland mesh pads are fine you just have to decide which ones to go with!
          As I said for the $ the better deal is pdx100 usually is cheaper then pdx8 and 2 inches bigger to boot! Why cheaper? not a clue really!
          Its Roland, they don't have to make sense!
          "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

Everywhere I looked, this description had to be one of the most helpful. Thanks man.

Comment

Working...
            X