Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

TD8 Snares

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD8 Snares

I'm still a TD8 newbie and I need some help from fellow TD8 users. I'm becoming disappointed in the snare section because I'm finding anything to my liking. The snares sound very hollow and don't have that high piccolo "crack" that I want.

Current snare settings:
    Medium Wood
    Shell: normal
    Head: coated
    Tuning: +45
    Muffle: Doughnuts2

The problem may also be that I'm still used to my acoustic piccolo snare and just haven't completely "crossed over" to the e-snares

But if anyone has got any snare settings that can be suggested I'd really appreciate it.

p.s. Forgot to mention that I'm using Pearl RT kit with Pintech RS5 triggers (if that makes any difference)

------------------
    FJMAR99
    The original pimp!

[This message has been edited by fjmar99 (edited March 27, 2001).]
    FJMAR99 --The original pimp!

Dear fjmar99,

I have only a TD-10 nonexpanded, but here is my two cents:

1) Try different snares, including ones which may not initially be to your liking. They all seem to have different characters upon tweaking. IOW, for a great Piccolo sound, you may want to start with a non-piccolo snare.

2) I find the most "crack" in general comes from brass settings, loose snare settings, clear heads, no muffling, BUT different snare drum selections are different.

3) Learn how to use the instrument reverb section and the EQ section. These can really help accentuate the higher frequencies you are looking for.

4) If you are playing live to a speaker system, consider using a separate out for snare at least, so you can use the mixing boards EQ section as well

Hope this helps, and welcome to the board!

BTW, are you SURE you are the original?

Immensely powerful yet with a liquid cat-quick elegance

Comment

Sorry, off topic, but how is the Pearl RT working with the triggers? I have the same kit and was thinking about trying that.

Thanks!!

Rob
      V-Club

Comment

Originally posted by Roberts2:
        how is the Pearl RT working with the triggers?
        I've only had a couple of problems with this setup.

1. The mesh heads are single ply and I broke the snare head in TWO DAYS! So I would definitely suggest getting a different head for the snare (either Hart or triggerhead)

2. I'm using the Pintech RS5 triggers and I wouldn't recommend using those. They constantly fall off of the heads because the adhesive isn't that strong. Go with another trigger or the Pintech RS5 trigger w/trigger trap.

3. Since the Pearl Mesh-heads are so thin..my TD8 didn't pick up ghost rolls in the beginning. So I set the sensitivity very high (around 12-15) and dropped the threshold to 0 (default is 3). With those settings the kit has finally started to pick up my soft and ghost rolls.

You don't get the positional sensing and the dual snare for rim/head doesn't work that well but that should be fixed once I get some better triggers (looking at the Ddrum triggers). I'm using TC cymbals for right now and play on going with either Yahama or Visu-lites later. The kit plays just like the V-customs (except for snare) and I love the setup. Hope that answers your question.

Originally posted by gingerbaker:
        BTW, are you SURE you are the original?
        Yes...I am the original

------------------
        FJMAR99--The original pimp!
        • Pearl RT kit w/ Pintech RS5 triggers
        • Roland TD8
        • Pintech TC cymbals

[This message has been edited by fjmar99 (edited March 27, 2001).]

Comment

Yes it does, thank you for the time!
          Rob
          V-Club

Comment

When I had my TD-10 I always achieved good sounds by starting with a piccolo snare (the other way gingerbaker says, but the way of working is the same: start with another snare) and then tune it down to a 5 inch deep snare or so. The piccolo snares had good feel, response etc.

Do you play live? There are more Vdrummers who complain about the snare sounds. Perhaps the processed sound through the proper sound system (see topic: sound processing) plays a part as well here.
            Robert

Comment

Originally posted by puttenvr:
              Do you play live? There are more Vdrummers who complain about the snare sounds. Perhaps the processed sound through the proper sound system (see topic: sound processing) plays a part as well here.
              Yeah...I'm currently playing at my church and they've got the master mono out running into a direct box and then running back to the board (for now). My bass player and I have been complaining because the snare just sounds very hollow and doesn't cut through like my acoustic piccolo used to.

------------------
              • Roland TD8
              • Pintech TC cymbals

Comment

Hi, er, pimp,
                I'm at work, and going from memory, but my current fave TD-8 snare is picc6 (or piccolo6, or summat), set to 'deep 1', default (or close) tuning, with a coated head, med. snr and no damping (or very little). This drum is also used in the factory 'crack' patch I think, albeit in normal depth, which would make it a piccolo. I've found my edit of this drum to be most satisfying and Bruford-y. hope this helps!
                Jamie
                --
                Dtxtreme III
                Sonor Phonic Rosewood
                Sabian HHX / Zildjian K
                www.sphere3.co.uk

Comment

fjmr99

Reaction to:
                  You don't get the positional sensing and the dual snare for rim/head doesn't work that well but that should be fixed once I get some better triggers (looking at the Ddrum triggers).

Even with Ddrumtriggers you don't get positional sensing.
                  This is only possible with the Roland Vdrum-pads!
                  Too bad..

Grtz. Phze

Comment

Originally posted by purplehaze:

Yeah...I know that I can't get the positional sensing. I'm trying to get the dual triggering for rim/head that I'm not getting now.

------------------
                    • Roland TD8
                    • Pintech TC cymbals

Comment

Hi FJMAR99,

Seperate rim and head-triggering only works when you connect the head- and the rimtrigger seperately to different triggerinputs.
                      I've tried this with the ddrum snaretrigger,
                      it works but the trigger-settings are a bit difficult to set up.
                      I'have not quite the best setting but i'm working on it..
                      If anyone has usefull suggestions on this, please let me know..

Grtz, Phze

Comment

Originally posted by purplehaze:
                        There are more pads who do the job...
                        Robert

Comment

Working...
                        X