Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2Box prepping a new system update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2Box prepping a new system update

I was fortunate to be emailed and asked to test out the new Beta version of an update coming to the Drumit Five module. I don't want to jump ahead and release info before it's time, but I am liking the new added features and trigger compatibility. I have been testing today with a couple of my own drums/kits of different trigger designs and the results are excellent. More to come when the beta testing is complete. 2Box also put a post on Facebook looking for a few beta testers, I'm sure they will have no lack of voluteers. https://www.facebook.com/2BoxDrums?fref=nf It has been 6 years or so since this incredible module released and we are still getting added features and sounds, etc......FREE! ..... gotta love that! J
    Last edited by JmanWord; 02-26-15, 09:42 PM.
    I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
    Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Yes, gotta love that! JMan, can you let us know if there has been an improvement in HiHat input compatibility? Nothing specific, just a simple yes or no would be enough, if you can?

JP
    ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, eDRUMin 10, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

Originally posted by jpsquared482 View Post
      Yes, gotta love that! JMan, can you let us know if there has been an improvement in HiHat input compatibility? Nothing specific, just a simple yes or no would be enough, if you can?

JP
      No change. But besides the 2Box original HiHat you can use almost any brand eCymbal or e Hi Hat cymbal with my 2Box HH conversion box/kit which 2Box knows I build. The way the 2Box HH input works it will not be changed by some software update to accept other Hi Hat brands/types. It requires a specific type of hardware. Just like Yamaha or Ddrum Hi Hat inputs are proprietary, same for 2Box.
      Last edited by JmanWord; 02-27-15, 03:22 AM.
      Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Well, if they can adjust the trigger settings to work for a 14" snare with offset trigger and a dual ply mesh head, I will be happy. My current snare triggers like garbage. No dynamic range at all. I have been considering building a center mounted trigger assembly to try and fix the problem.
        I think my work is done here.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy_D View Post
          Well, if they can adjust the trigger settings to work for a 14" snare with offset trigger and a dual ply mesh head, I will be happy. My current snare triggers like garbage. No dynamic range at all. I have been considering building a center mounted trigger assembly to try and fix the problem.
          Honestly, I have tried my own center mount snares side by side with other side mount pads including 2Box and my own side mount triggers .... and I have always preferred the center mount. But I would wait Tommy, because the new trigger types and parameters are pretty amazing. I haven't tested any side mount stuff much yet, but with what I have tested everything is perfect!. Perfect head triggering from lightest to hardest hits with no cross-triggering of the rim even hitting extremely hard on the outer head right next to the rim. And vice versa, excellent rim triggering from super light rim click play to hard rimshots with no cross-triggering of head zone on rim..... excellent dynamics, and that also included a Drop in Pan trigger snare ...... great improvements in trigger parameters for pads and external triggers from what I have seen so far.

Comment

Any improvement on the hardware side, as in, a new module housing with better screen and more controls?

K
            My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
            E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
            A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
            A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Wow that is cool news! I have been mulling over getting a 2Box module for some time now, just the basic offering of importing your own files/VST into the module is amazing enough for me. Saves having to power up my Macbook just to run VST!

I don't mean to hijack at all, basic question (whether it relates to these new beta features or existing ones) - once you load VST samples on the module, can you tweak them with the controls on the module or are they only available as how you left them when you export off your computer and onto the 2Box module?
              Live Rig: Under Construction!
              Studio Rig: Pearl Mimic Pro | Pearl ePro A2E kit | ATV-Roland-Yamaha cymbals | Customized MDS-20 rack | ATH-M40x phones

Comment

Trip,

Once you've imported samples into the 2Box, you can adjust parameters affecting pitch, envelope (attack, hold / sustain level, and decay), and amplitude. There is also a kit-level, three band EQ. In terms of effects (which are also kit-level), there's nothing you'd really use. Delay with feedback and flanger. No reverb. Realistically, you're going to get effects externally. There are no modeling-like parameters (head type, shell material, shell depth, microphone position, etc.) as one finds in Roland modules and this turns out to be a good thing. Pure, clean, minimally modified samples with many velocity layers are the name of the day.
                Last edited by TangTheHump; 02-27-15, 02:57 PM.

Comment

While it's good to see something new from 2Box, I'm a little disappointed that a system update is all they're offering. It is free (which is wonderful news), but after six to seven years and counting, I hoped to see something more substantial. A new kit? A new module? Something? Anything? Yes, 2Box is releasing standalone triggers, but the market is well served by other vendors in this regard.

On the positive side, one thing I'll say is the 2Box module really holds up. The more I listen to this module, the more I realize nothing touches it sonically and nothing is likely to surpass its sonic superiority for a long time. Clean, full resolution samples with full velocity range mapping. Unless the MIDI spec changes or module makers move completely away from MIDI, I can't see another module hugely improving on the 2Box sonic recipe. Increasing sample rates and bit depths may help during audio production, but for playback, the human ear cannot hear much more than the 2Box already delivers. I guess it would be nice to have greater dynamic range than 44.1 KHz / 16 bit samples provide, but that's about it.

Given many of us e-drum folk tweak and modify our kits, something that tends to get lost is just how good the 2Box module sounds with no modification. The default kits are phenomenal and some are as good as high quality VSTs. All of them wipe the floor with Roland's and Yamaha's flagship module sounds. The 2Box Kashmir kit is a good example. It's a vintage sounding acoustic kit, with a big, wet, woody sounding snare drum. You could use this one kit and never need anything else. I'll be surprised if there isn't a 2Box module in my future. I've got my TD-30 tweaked to the hilt, and sonically it's just not cutting it. But, if I ever do a performance piece on war and need some machine gunning, Roland has me covered. :-)

Comment

Great news!
                    electronic drum triggers >>> | electronic cymbals >>>

Subscribe to our FB page

Comment

Hey Jman
                      Sorry to miss you and Kenster at NAMM this year. Thanks for keeping us up to date.....a 2Box is going into my EBD soon.

Mark
                      Drumagination.com
                      2000 Watt Carvin powered Electronic Bass Drum,
                      built-in DM10 drum module,
                      Double TwinSteele Electronic drum pedals
                      Footless High-Hat
                      Drumagination.com
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XezG628QXp8

Comment

Originally posted by Drumagination View Post
                        Hey Jman
                        Sorry to miss you and Kenster at NAMM this year. Thanks for keeping us up to date.....a 2Box is going into my EBD soon.

Mark
                        Drumagination.com
                        Hi Mark, My visits to NAMM this year were limited to a few half day trips, so I wasn't able to hook up with Ken either .... enough time to see the limited new eDrum releases though .... next year, eh? When you get to setting up the 2Box just let me know if I can help. J

Comment

Originally posted by JmanWord View Post

When you get to setting up the 2Box just let me know if I can help. J
                          Thanks Bro
                          I have a lot to learn.....

Mark
                          Drumagination
                          2000 Watt Carvin powered Electronic Bass Drum,
                          built-in DM10 drum module,
                          Double TwinSteele Electronic drum pedals
                          Footless High-Hat
                          Drumagination.com
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XezG628QXp8

Comment

I've got Intriggs on my whole kit and find that the snare needs a lot of tweaking to get enough volume to match the rest of the kit, but at that point there is no real sensitivity. I do love the kit sounds though. Especially now that I have Jmans HH controller and expansion card.

Sonor Safari A to E-Sparkly Red w/2Box and Roland TD15
                            Pearl Reference-Purple Haze (for sale)
                            Ludwig Classic Maple-Blue Olive Oyster
                            Medicine Man Custom Maple-Tangerine Glitter Glass:p

Comment

Never tried the intriggs, got crossbar center cones thru j man and they trigger great! No volume inconsistencies in 2 years, no uneccesary tweaking. Bought a pintech phoenix snare coming tomorrow Fingers crossed! Hope it triggers great. too!
                              Last edited by hemiboy; 03-03-15, 12:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X