Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Acoustic cymbals versus PD-7s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acoustic cymbals versus PD-7s

I am sure people have said this before but I am currently using acoustic cymbals (A Custom Zildjian) anyway the band are moaning that the crash cymbals are sounding out of balance with the kit. I use the PD-7s for hi-hat and Ride because I think they sound good but I'm not impressed with the crashes. Is there any way of adjusting the strike on a PD-7 pad like you can on a PD-80? Sometimes you hit the PD-7 with a crash sound and it sounds good, other times catch it in the wrong part of the pad and it peaks horribly, sounds over the top. I might try the new Roland cymbal pads, I tried them on a TD-10 exp and it sounded excellent. But I have a TD-8. Anyone else in a similar dilemma. I have a Mackie SRM-450 so I notice the acoustic cymbals don't sound right, but I prefer them to the TD-8 sounds. Please any thoughts, this is getting me down...

Not sure how much this may help, but try a Yamaha PCY80S. They seem to me to have a more uniform response than the rigid PD7's.

Comment

Acoustic cymbals are much flexible and do have more playing possibilities and do have more dynamics than any e-drum cymbal ever will have.

Roland's pads are not flexible for playing crashes. Many people also complain about the samples (sounds) and the problems with weak MIDI dynamics also are well-known. Hence you sometimes only hear over the top/peaked sounds.

If you still want to use e-cymbals you can consider a flexibel pad which swings with the drumstick. Examples: Visu-lite or Hart Dynamic cymbals. Some people also are happy with the Yamaha pads. Last option is to use an acoustic cymbal and trigger it with a microphone or tape-trigger. But still the sound from a real cymbal is better...
      Robert

Comment

You could also try the new Roland Cymbal pads which are supplied with the brand new TD-6 kit.
        Music was my first love...

Comment

Originally posted by MPCman:
          You could also try the new Roland Cymbal pads which are supplied with the brand new TD-6 kit.
          Not everybody is enthousiastic about them
          http://www.vdrums.com/discussion/For...ML/000403.html
          Robert

Comment

Spides, I use the same set up as you except a TD-10exp. I use the V hi hat and V ride cymbal but Zildjian crashes. I have the same issue somewhat; but I really dont think it is a problem, I think it sounds a little different, something you are not used to but after a while you wont notice it. My only thought is to try and improve your drum sounds to get them more in tune with your cymbals, instead of the other way around. I am using two of the Mackies 450s and running it through our PA as well. I am trying to work on my live sound through some of the interesting discussions we have been having in here lately.
            Zigs

Comment

Working...
            X