Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

PD80R Snare and PD7/9 Toms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PD80R Snare and PD7/9 Toms?

I bought the Studio Kit several months ago and I'm considering replacing the snare PD9 rubber pad with a PD80R mesh pad to improve playability. I was planning to keep my toms as PD7/9 rubber pads. I'm wondering if the playability of the two surfaces together would feel unnatural as a set. Has anyone tried this combo? If anyone has played a rubber pad set then switched to mesh pads, I'd be interested to hear your opinion of the two. Thanks.

With a small PD80R perhaps the differences with rubber aren't that huge. I played them and to me they look more stiff than the larger 10 and 12 mesh headed pads. Many people think they are bouncy (what you can like or not)
    Robert

Comment

I originally purchased a TD-10 module and used the pads from a TD-7 kit set-up. I liked the compactness of the kit in terms of set-up/tear-down and the closeness of the pads to one another. However, I did not like the rubber pads for snare and toms (very hard surface, lots of bounce and sore wrists in time...) Since then I've converted the snare to a PD-120 and toms to PD-100's...I still use PD-7's and PD-9's for cymbals.

I would highly recommend converting your snare to the PD-80R, then look at going to mesh toms down the road!

Lee

Comment

I do believe that Pintech offers 10" mesh-headed pads which are less expensive than Roland's. Also there has been some success with DIY mesh-headed pads with some users.

Anything to upgrade from hitting those rubber pads.

DJourg

Comment

I have mixed the rubber pads with a single PD80R mesh pad and it works well. I think you will find it an improvement. Currently, I am using the typical V-Custom config.(three PD80/one PD80R) with a KAT 9" rubber pad as my last tom, and two of the SBD-20's pads for my first two toms. I actually enjoy the transition from one surface to another.

Comment

Thanks for all your suggestions. I decided to opt for a larger snare, the Pintech ConcertCast CC102-ST 10" mesh pad. I played a PD80R and it seemed a little small for a snare. I did like the PD-80s as toms though. I also decided to re-do the whole set. Heck, I already had the credit card out at that point <grin> and bought three CC101-ST pads for toms, a snare stand and a Gibraltar GRS350GC rack. My Roland Studio Set rack is a bit small and I was concerned about space for the larger pads. The Gibraltar rack is awesome. I highly recommend it. The Pintechs will be delivered next week. All this cost me less than buying four Roland PD80/R pads. I hope the Pintechs measure up.

Comment

Working...
            X